Universal Careers; 14-day emt boot camp

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Being a hospital tech does not require an EMT-b cert, does it ? It is a related field that people with EMT-b certs can fill, but so could a CNA with a phlebotomy cert, or a "medical assistant"....

The position of Emergency Medical Technician is for EMS agencies. People with that training when as an ER tech or a medical assistant in a doctors office are not employed as EMTs and may have those jobs without an EMTb cert?

Am I wrong?

And I thought those camp and amusement park jobs are limited to CPR and first aid, that you can not function as a full EMT ?

Am I wrong on that ?

Wrong on almost all points. Some hospitals have a positions of ER EMT (CO and TX love that title), and some hospitals hire Paramedics to work as techs (with the job title of Paramedic) and function at full scope or higher. A lot of amusement parks operate full ALS level coverage IIRC. (Lucid, refresh my memory on yours, but I seem to remember you saying you had medics. And the big parks like Disney and Universal have full skills covered).

You seem to be mistaking NY for the rule in EMS, rather than a horrible exception

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
It is some cut-rate russian gang:

I studied Russian years ago, I have many Russian friends, etc., I know the mistakes Russian people make with English.

Someone post a portrait of Jim Rockford scowling here.....

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
The way it works is, as long as you pass the felony check, you will qualify for financial help and you do not have to pay for the course. So the course is basically free as long as you have no felony. However, you do have to pay for a few things such as room, board, transportation, test fees, textbooks, felony check, etc..

Huh... sounds like an awful lot like another example of a "poverty business," a term coined by Moyers (http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_21/b4035001.htm).

So, the poor get exploited at least twice by the education system: 1) schools in poor regions get less money and are thus lower in quality; 2) they are then defrauded by hucksters who advertise low-quality education as high quality, and are ultimately forced to take on massive debt.

People who are poor are often desperate... people who are desperate are easily exploitable... that's when predatory practices and fraudulent companies like this come along. :glare:

A few articles regarding programs like this which basically shuttle poor and low income students into taking on massive federal grants to pay for certification programs that they can't afford:
http://www.sfweekly.com/2009-09-30/news/stimulus-wreckage/
and
http://www.sfweekly.com/2010-07-21/news/the-education-trap/

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Wrong on almost all points. Some hospitals have a positions of ER EMT (CO and TX love that title), and some hospitals hire Paramedics to work as techs (with the job title of Paramedic) and function at full scope or higher. A lot of amusement parks operate full ALS level coverage IIRC. (Lucid, refresh my memory on yours, but I seem to remember you saying you had medics. And the big parks like Disney and Universal have full skills covered).

You seem to be mistaking NY for the rule in EMS, rather than a horrible exception

Is Walt Disney World listed on the Florida DOH webiste as an EMS agency ?

It appears I stand corrected on that point.

New York State has every EMS agency, paid or unpaid, plus hospitals, and designates them ALS or BLS and even lists non-transporting agencies.

I know Citifield for the Mets and the cyclones have EMTS on duty, however, they are employed by Corona and Midwood repsectivly....again maybe only NYS...?

Do you have any thoughts on the school, since you are so good at scrutinizing posts B)

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You guys covered the school pretty well. I don't see the need to beat this horse any more than already :)

Although... Nationally registered in all 50 states? That part really jumps out at me and makes me wanna slap the person who wrote this crap for teh site. There are a bunch of states who don't take NREMT for ANYTHING. My home state of NM only takes NREMT for medic. Not basic or intermediate. Some states might allow you to use your NREMT card to test for state cert, but there's some that you just might as well retake the class in the state you're moving to

EDIT: And I know in NM, CO, and TX (from trying to find every single EMS service I could to apply for them), the services don't have to be listed on the state EMS web site.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Is Walt Disney World listed on the Florida DOH webiste as an EMS agency ?

You will not find Walt Disney World but you will find Reedy Creek Improvement District...rcid.org which is the specially created tax district that is comprised solely of Disney property...therefore they pay taxes to themselves for all the wastewater, power, fire/rescue, road improvements, etc.

You never work for Disney as a medic, you work for Reedy Creek and it is Fire Rescue.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
You will not find Walt Disney World but you will find Reedy Creek Improvement District...rcid.org which is the specially created tax district that is comprised solely of Disney property...therefore they pay taxes to themselves for all the wastewater, power, fire/rescue, road improvements, etc.

You never work for Disney as a medic, you work for Reedy Creek and it is Fire Rescue.

My main point was that their are no 'secret' employers of EMTs that only some school would have access to.

And I have seen most "placement" services for jobs like home health aide or truck driver, where there are (oe were) more openings than positions, and the employers contact the schools and compete for employees.

Maybe two years ago in NYC, private ambulance services would visit emt-b schools and recruit there....now they do not 'need' to...

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
You guys covered the school pretty well. I don't see the need to beat this horse any more than already :)

/QUOTE]

This subject is not a horse. It is a colony of cockroaches which as I can attest to the fact that you can never kill them all, just sort of keep them limited.

Scams of this nature are going to crop up more and more in desperation of our current economy.

It is sick evil people that would do this.

It may not be a crime, but it is arguably amoral to operate as they do.

This topic should be addressed as long as the website is up and they are posting in craigslist etc...

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
18) why do scammers from the former CCCP think americans are so stupid.....?

I saw your type 25 years ago as a student travelling through Moscow, and I see it all over this country now.

19) the people that would fall for this scam/abuse are very vulnerable , and in this country we support and buildup the vulnerable, not exploit them....

20) there are new russians and old russians: the old ones when they came to the USA helped build something, Sikorsky, Pontiaff, Zwokin....the new ones (mostly) are here to suck society dry.....the same way the bolsheviks sucked russia dry their own system dried up within a century, so your type, this diaspora of deceit tries to suck the rest of the world dry

YOU ARE A SHAME TO ALL GOOD RUSSIAN PEOPLE TODAY AND YESTERDAY WHO COME HERE TO CONTRIBUTE.....

This issue has nothing to do with someones ethnic background, and why do you assume that a person with a Russian sounding name is from Russia? For all you know, the person could have been a Jones, married a Russian and took the name. Moreover; I have a German last name and I have never been to Germany, nor my father for that matter.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
This issue has nothing to do with someones ethnic background, and why do you assume that a person with a Russian sounding name is from Russia? For all you know, the person could have been a Jones, married a Russian and took the name. Moreover; I have a German last name and I have never been to Germany, nor my father for that matter.

Mostly from the writing style on the website and the posts on this board.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief

Welcome to the online subculture where someone making an obnoxious post is treated harsher than someone scamming people in real-time....

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
download the .pdf file

They have an online virtual classroom ?

A S&H fee of $25 for a textbook you can order online or get at any chain bookseller.....?

w t f ... ?

And they are associated with "eight of the most prestigious doctors in the country" ...?

Why don't you name the doctors or explain what deems a doctor "prestigious" , is their a board of prestige that makes that designation...?

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
.....please do not comment on a program that you have not gone through yourself.

So people are not allowed to comment on something unless they have not participated in it first hand ?

Is that a law somewhere in the USA or a rule on this website ?

What if we do not comply with your request ?

Then what will you do ?

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Some of you are misunderstanding what we do. We do not train students at our own facility. We promote medical programs and refer the students to EMT/paramedics schools that are state certified.

Some schools have a hard time getting students and thats where we are here to help. Also, many emt/paramedic schools does not help students find jobs once they complete their training (they mainly focus on helping students get their license/certification and leave it up to the students to find work) so our packages include everything from room, board, to job placement services.

Once again, students are not trained at our facility. They are sent to a EMT/paramedic schools that are state approved. We help them fill seats, provide packages that includes room, board and help the students get hired.

Any other questions please contact us directly at our email in the above post.

The schools don't need help. If they are legitimate programs, they will be filled by students. There is no shortage of EMT-B's. Moreover, if the student wants to attend the program, it is completely idiotic to do it through a third party that is going to charge them 4-6 times the amount that they would pay have they went directly to the school. Your service is a scam, and you are quite aware of it. I too will be contacting the NREMT as well as your particular state's board of EMS and the Indiana board of EMS. Furthermore, you might want to listen to the opinion of some of the members here like Rid, seeing as they have done work DIRECTLY with the NREMT and have more than likely contributed to creating questions for the exam. We see your type all the time, you come in and offer your little explanations for how things are and why you are a good service, yet you can't back it up.

Here is a challenge.

List the costs associated with your program (NOT INCLUDING THE FINANCIAL AID YOU SPEAK OF), btw, just so you know.. we are not idiots. Having been through a bachelors of chemistry, bachelors of nursing, and an associates of paramedicine, I am keenly aware of the fact that Federal Pell and many title IV funds only pay for DEGREE SEEKING PROGRAMS. EMT-B is not one of them. Therefore, the student is left to bear the burden of Federal Direct Loans, etc.

What you are doing is, in essence charging 4-6x the amount so you can pay the true amount to the program (IF YOU EVEN DO THAT), collecting the grossly inflated amount, and moving on to your next victim. Therefore, I challenge you to list in a single post, the costs associated with your program, not including the "financial aid" you speak of, examples of which include your "textbook fees", etc, and moreover, I challenge you to list the same costs associated with one of the programs you place the students in and DIRECTLY link me to the school's LEGITIMATE .EDU website showing those associated fees, while also listing for me the direct type of financial aid you speak of in your program (eg: PELL, FFEL, FPEL, Direct Loan, Perkins, etc).

A legitimate business would have no problem making this post. Anything other than the data requested in your next post will be taken as an admission of guilt on your part. Look forward to hearing from the Better Business Bureau, the Internal Revenue Service, Boards of EMS in the states which you place students, as well as the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians, as I am in the process of typing up a formal complaint citing all the discrepancies pointed out by the individuals of this site. Let's see who remains standing.

MJordan2121

Forum Crew Member
Total rip off!! Also, I would not let anyone treat me, as a patient, with only 14 days of training. I would not trust their judgment along with their lack of expertise.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Total rip off!! Also, I would not let anyone treat me, as a patient, with only 14 days of training. I would not trust their judgment along with their lack of expertise.

How will you know they only have 14 days? You wont. 14 days for a basic class equals the same number of hours as any other basic class. They will be able to do the same very little as any other basic.

Now as to this company they seem very questionable in charging such an extreme amount to do what the student could do on their own.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Guess uc-emtparamedic couldn't come up with an answer (big surprise).

Wolfpack87

Forum Probie
I have looked into Pelham extensivly as it is a course I have considered, and I belive the scam you may have found is in universalcareers.com.

Pelham is not only accredited, but most of the information that you were given is incorrect. For instance, their normal course is only $700, and the "quick-class" is $1500. While Finacial Aid is available, it's not for everyone, and in most cases doesn't pay for everything. Also, anyone promising to give you a job at the location of your choice is smoking somthing expensive.

Anywho, I know I'm late to the party but I wanted to chime in.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, the expense includes a room for those two weeks. I agree that Pelham looks, at least on the outside, to be a legitimate school, except for the fact that they had to partner up with a service like Universal Careers.