Tips for a recently certified EMT-B

swinf1

Forum Probie
I just became nationally certified a few days ago and am planning to begin as a volunteer soon, are there any experienced EMTs/Paramedics that wouldn't mind sharing some important and helpful suggestions?

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
1. Listen to those who have been doing this longer, unless they say, "We've always done it this way so why should we change it."

2. Eyes and ears open at all times, this is how you will learn the practice of pre-hospital medicine and asses/treat your pt.

3. You don't need to carry 1000 things on your belt or in your cargo pants. You will find that the more a person carries, the less experienced they are.

4. When someone tells you they feel like they are going to die, be scared, because they are usually correct.

5. It's not your emergency, don't panic and your heart rate shouldn't be higher than the pt's heart rate (with a few obvious exceptions)

6. A screaming kid is a breathing kid

7. No matter how many times someone says it, seconds rarely matter, minutes might but that case is rare.

8. Light and sirens are useless most of the time

9. All bleeding stops eventually

10. Many things that are done in the field are not necessary and will be discontinued in the ER. Don't criticize the ER for doing things differently that what your protocols say.

11. Helicopters are cool but are not needed as much as they are used

12. Have fun doing the job, otherwise you will burn out quickly

13. Never be afraid to ask for help. This is both on a call when you are not sure what to do or after a call when the demons start showing up

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Being a Basic, newbie myself, one of the best things you can do is know where everything is tucked away in the ambulance. IV starter sets, IV bags, BP cuffs, adult and pedi cannelas and masks. The list goes on. Learn how to hook up a 12 lead. You may not be able to interpret everything but it can give you some hints to help you figure out if you need to really make that ALS backup call in time to do your patient some good. Listen, look, and absorb as much as possible from the folks have been doing this for awhile.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I just became nationally certified a few days ago and am planning to begin as a volunteer soon, are there any experienced EMTs/Paramedics that wouldn't mind sharing some important and helpful suggestions?

Ask questions and communicate with your partner. There's no such thing as a dumb question. Better ask one and risk appearing stupid rather than not ask one and remove all doubt.

And if you don't know something, don't be afraid to admit it. Contrary to the popular belief, this isn't a machoistic pissing contest.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Caffeine is the most critical drug on the ambulance. If it runs out, ... be afraid... of your partner, or the paramedic.

But seriously, well... no, that is serious.

Your belt should not resemble Batman's. Although I will accept this in the event you have flashbangs, a rocket launched grappel and portable CT scanner, or you seriously resemble Batgirl (in leather).

If it's icky, sticky or goey: don't touch it without gloves on. Even then, try not to.

LEARN YOUR TRUCK AND GEAR.

Eat and,ahem "void" when you have time whether you're really ready to or not.

Keep re-reading the text book, take some more courses and classes. Learning is good, 'k?

If we're doing something you can help with (washing trucks, checking gear, etc...), help. If we're doing something you can't help with, be willing to do whatever - close enough to help but not in the way.

The longer you're in the business, you either burn the hell out or develop an interesting sense of humor and tend to focus on what you can do... some of which is just being there when their world is burning and crumbling to shattered ash. Reasonable expectations, and just be nice. Until it's time NOT to be nice. How will you know? The medic will tell you.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
As a (fairly) seasoned volley (which makes me seasoned in the sense that I know how to be a volunteer, not so much a "seasoned EMT"), I would say this:

On operational (non-clinical matters);
1) Prepare for internal volunteer politics. Heck, be prepared, if you're in a combined career/volunteer agency, for "them versus us" situations.
2) Be nice to everyone. Everyone.
3) Be prepared for yelling. People love to yell, especially those who are useless.
4) Skip the bat belt. You (may) need shears, you need a penlight or flashlight, you need (or can borrow) a stethoscope, and you need two pairs of gloves, but you don't need a window punch, hemostats, or bandage scissors.
5) Have fun
6) Ask for help when you need it.
7) Don't endanger (or overexert) yourself. Call PD. Call FD. Call whomever you need.

On the clinical side:
1) Always wear gloves. Even better, always wear gloves and eye protection.
2) Have fun.
3) Ask for help when you need it.
4) If you have a question about a decision a higher cert provider makes that is not immediately dangerous to the patient, ask after the call. However, if you think they're doing something that you think is contraindicated, and you can back it up, say it. Say it so they hear you.
5) If you are on an ALS/BLS truck or have an ALS fly car, and the medic turfs the call to you, but you're not comfortable, DO NOT accept the patient as your responsibility.
6) Get comfy with carrying bags and moving stretchers - you're BLS, so you'll be doing that a lot.
7) Sick kids look sick, as ERDoc said.
8) Lights and sirens are generally dumb (as ERDoc said).
9) Most calls will be stupid - this is just the fact.
10) If the patient is really sick, you'll probably be able to tell.
11) Call medical control if you have to. High risk refusal? Call 'em.
12) Call ALS whenever indicated. High risk refusal? Let ALS decide, if you have the opportunity.

Oh, and:
The most dangerous person is somebody who's been doing this for many years, but hasn't learned a darn thing -- they've got 1 year of experience repeated 20 times. Make sure you are not them.

Feathered80

Forum Ride Along
1. Listen to those who have been doing this longer, unless they say, "We've always done it this way so why should we change it."

2. Eyes and ears open at all times, this is how you will learn the practice of pre-hospital medicine and asses/treat your pt.

3. You don't need to carry 1000 things on your belt or in your cargo pants. You will find that the more a person carries, the less experienced they are.

4. When someone tells you they feel like they are going to die, be scared, because they are usually correct.

5. It's not your emergency, don't panic and your heart rate shouldn't be higher than the pt's heart rate (with a few obvious exceptions)

6. A screaming kid is a breathing kid

7. No matter how many times someone says it, seconds rarely matter, minutes might but that case is rare.

8. Light and sirens are useless most of the time

9. All bleeding stops eventually

10. Many things that are done in the field are not necessary and will be discontinued in the ER. Don't criticize the ER for doing things differently that what your protocols say.

11. Helicopters are cool but are not needed as much as they are used

12. Have fun doing the job, otherwise you will burn out quickly

13. Never be afraid to ask for help. This is both on a call when you are not sure what to do or after a call when the demons start showing up

I love this! Great tips... I so want to print this and carry it with me lol