The Importance of CISD

DocPetey

Forum Probie
Yesterday, I received a call from the son of a friend of mine. He's a newly-minted EMT-B with a local agency. They had a bad call, and his father advised him to call me.

He was reluctant to attend the CISD that had been scheduled. He thought it might make his co-workers think he was "weak". I won't go into the details of our conversation, but it did get me thinking.

I've been in EMS since 1985. In 1986, after I'd worked as an EMT-B for a year, I joined the Navy, and became a Corpsman. I'm a veteran of the Gulf War. I treated Coalition forces injured in the theater of operations. Tell you what, I am thankful to God for the Stress Debriefings the Navy provided for us.

Since then, I've worked in both EMS and LE. I didn't become a true believer in Critical Incident Stress Debriefing until I had a really bad call in 1999.

Long story short: Woman in polygamous community in West Valley City, Utah calls to report missing children (Ages 5 to 9 y/o, three hers, two her sister-wife's.) This is August, average temps 100-105 F. We found them two hours later in the trunk of her car. It's the worst thing in twenty years, civilian and military, I've ever handled. And God, was I angry. Pissed off want to kick *** angry. Because I was convinced...CONVINCED...that the woman who called was responsible, and LE deemed it an accident.

I blew off the first CISD. I went, under orders, to the second. And it was probably the best thing I could have done, under the circumstances. I do not think I would have survived, mentally, without it.

I guess my point is, to all those of you new to this profession, if you ever have one of those bad calls, make sure you get your butt to CISD. And if your agency doesn't have CISD, you lobby for it.

And if you need to talk, reach out. There's lots of us old horses out here willing to listen.

--- Petey

skyemt

Forum Captain
actually, Dr. Ray Shelton, one of the foremost leaders and teachers of Traumatic Stress Management says that CISD in the form most of us are familiar with is of little value, they are finding...

the trend is towards getting someone to the scene of an MCI, to deal with responders at the time of incident... also, on an agency level, opening lines of communication with responders, and providing aid when that responder is ready...

they have found that scheduling an ICSD "debriefing", having a bunch of responders sit around the table has not proved effective for the majority of responders.

i'm sure it has been valuable for some... but, these were the findings...

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Recently discussed:

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=6533

There will be many things in EMS or any medical profession that will hit a nerve at some time. It is best to have a known source(s) of support for both the good days and the bad days. This can be a close friend, colleague, significant other, minister or professional counselor.

Everybody processes their emotions differently and has their own personal baggage to complicate any given situation if they can not effectively separate personal and professional parts of their life. That is why CISD is not effective because it assumes everyone is from the same cookie cutter.

Last edited by a moderator: