4) decent pay
5) retirement
6) promotional ladder
7) more progressive protocols/medical direction

And go...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I've got nothing for all seven. Getting six of seven is possible, all seven is not.

I've heard some good things about Ada County in Boise ID, though I don't know much about their retirement.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
City of Beaumont or Williamson County, both in Texas. From my research they seem to match all seven

Ciara510

Forum Ride Along
You should look into Greenville SC. I'd give it 6.5 on your scale.

Yes to SSM but its station based and focused on the employees. All of the posts are stations with kitchens and beds and there are also static stations to accommodate the more rural parts of the county. 12 hour shifts.

Overall an excellent county to live in and work for.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Federal service as a paramedic on military bases with single function paramedics have all protocols will depend on the area with some being progressive and others not so progressive

Reactions: Jon

Ciara510

Forum Ride Along
I've got nothing for all seven. Getting six of seven is possible, all seven is not.

I've heard some good things about Ada County in Boise ID, though I don't know much about their retirement.

Do you have any experience with the service personally?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Do you have any experience with the service personally?
No I don't. Just asked around a bit and talked to some folks that work there.

The "problem" I see it is to have a career ladder, you have to be a somewhat larger service. I love where I work but we have 16 full time employees total. There is no ladder, as there isn't really a need for one. We all have are extra duties (I write grants and other things), but that's not a bump in pay.

When you have a bigger service you sometimes run into issues with any one of those things as it is hard to maintain them on a large scale. The wages might be good but you have a crap retirement plan. Excellent protocols but you're stuck posting all day. Things like that which require compromise.

I'd like to think that such services exist, but I cannot think of one here in Colorado. The places that you want to work here are all small (no more than five or six ambulances shift), so there just isn't much of a career ladder, unless you are willingly to jump agency to agency.

Last edited:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Federal service as a paramedic on military bases with single function paramedics have all protocols will depend on the area with some being progressive and others not so progressive

Our local DOD paramedics (Fort Carson) have 6/7, but again it comes down to the career ladder factor. Three ambulances during the day and two at night. Just not that big of an organization.

Ciara510

Forum Ride Along
No I don't. Just asked around a bit and talked to some folks that work there.

The "problem" I see it is to have a career ladder, you have to be a somewhat larger service. I love where I work but we have 16 full time employees total. There is no ladder, as there isn't really a need for one. We all have are extra duties (I write grants and other things), but that's a bump in pay.

When you have a bigger service you sometimes run into issues with any one of those things as it is hard to maintain them on a large scale. The wages might be good but you have a crap retirement plan. Excellent protocols but you're stuck posting all day. Things like that which require compromise.

I'd like to think that such services exist, but I cannot think of one here in Colorado. The places that you want to work here are all small (no more than five or six ambulances shift), so there just isn't much of a career ladder, unless you are willingly to jump agency to agency.

How are the services out there based? Most of the more rural services I've looked at were all FD based and I'd love to find a single role position.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
How are the services out there based? Most of the more rural services I've looked at were all FD based and I'd love to find a single role position.
Single role in Colorado you mean? A very basic, non comprehensive list of 911 agencies along the Front Range alone includes AMR Colorado Springs, Northglenn Ambulance, Rural Metro Aurora, AMR Boulder, Platte Valley, Thompson Valley, Weld County (might be called something different now), Poudre Valley, and Estes Park Medical Center.

I'm certain Tigger can add on to this or correct it as needed.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Tell me about the ideal paramedic job... Here's the requirements:

1) no SSM.
2) education focused
3) non fire/single role medics
4) decent pay
5) retirement
6) promotional ladder
7) more progressive protocols/medical direction

And go...

Is Sussex county high on the ideal paramedic job list do you think? I'm strongly considering moving up to DE in a few years if one of the agencies would take me on

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I shall send a PM.

While there are many great single role services in Colorado, most of them will not make this list in a nationwide comparison.

Given the above requirements I'd say Thompsen Valley EMS in Loveland, CO and Poudre Valley EMS in Fort Collins, CO are probably the dreamiest agencies to work for. They both serve diverse areas that are large enough to require a command structure while still being clinically excellent. Pay is above average for paramedics though I am not sure what the retirement is like. Poudre Valley is owned by a rather penny pinching hospital network and Thompsen Valley is a special district and I believe has the same retirement package I do, which is acceptable.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
That sounds more like a west coast system. Parts of Montana, Washington, Idaho, Utah, and Navada.

Ada County has a great retirement system, I do not work for them but I do know that they are under the State Retirement Program which is Persi.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Is Sussex county high on the ideal paramedic job list do you think? I'm strongly considering moving up to DE in a few years if one of the agencies would take me on

Yep. Best place I ever worked.

And I'm not actively looking for a job. I'm just curious if anyone else comes close to what I had at Sussex. I've heard great things about Ada County, Hennepin County in MN and I'd LOVE to work where Transport Jockey is.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief

And I'm not actively looking for a job. I'm just curious if anyone else comes close to what I had at Sussex. I've heard great things about Ada County, Hennepin County in MN and I'd LOVE to work where Transport Jockey is.

I would second Hennepin and add Allina Health to the list for Minnesota services.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Protocols are amazing where I work. Money is ok. But no promotion or retirement potential. Its a stepping stone position, but a damned fun one

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Acadian-San Antonio is not on this list. Underwhelmed

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
What about looking at another country like the UK, Qatar, UAE, Australia, New Zealand?

The LAS are hiring and hiring big. Several people from here have been poached by them. Although I hear the pay is bad and you get flogged.