the 100% directionless thread

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Are you serious?

That's awful. It's a helluva drug. I'm pretty comfortable with it seeing as its our first line. 1-2 mcg/kg max of 100 single max total of 300. IV/IO/IN. Peds is 1 mcg/kg max single of 100 max total of 3 mcg/kg.

Actually only ever given morphine a handful of times.

Fentanyl and midazolam are a beautiful combination as well. Got that on standing orders also ;) or morphine/midazolam but never used that. With that said if I want to use morphine and fentanyl concurrently I have to call :wacko:

Our old MD was HUGE on analgesia. Basically mandated we treat any complaint of pain >4/10 "assertively".

I hear our new MD is the same way about aggressive pain management but is also going to give us more leeway as far as who we medicate. Also heard the "K" word thrown around ;)

I want to work there!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Successfully managed to administer ALL the fentanyl on my truck in 3 calls...200 each for a grand total of 600 mcg used. Well let me correct that, one got 175 and I wasted 25.

Also, my EMT-I partner managed to make me feel like a dumbass. I was trying to articulate to a patient what gout was, couldn't remember "urea" and he decided to take over and explain it, beautifully I might add. Then the patient asked if I was in training... Shoot me. He didnt let me live that down for a few hour.

Another also, fentanyl doesn't do jack for gout pain. Even 200 mcg within 8-9 minutes.

I gave 20mg Morphine to my GOUT patient yesterday and it didn't do jack... That's some massive pain

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I've never even seen fentanyl used.

But as I said in another thread, fentanyl is a no no in adults here. Only carry It for IN peds

Fentanyl just came into the state formulary for EMS here in California. Now it's just a waiting game for each county to adopt/allow it in their protocols. I can still only give MS for either cardiac pain unrelieved by NTG or isolated extremity trauma on standing order. There is/are no protocols that even address any other kind of pain in our county.

On that. I gave for fentanyl in my clinical time to kill a circus full of elephants.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Also: all this talk about actually doing things for patients is helping my stay in California...I'm looking at you RocketMedic, TransportJockey, and Robb :ph34r:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Also: all this talk about actually doing things for patients is helping my stay in California...I'm looking at you RocketMedic, TransportJockey, and Robb :ph34r:

AMR AMR REMSA...all are hiring...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Lol come to nm we are hiring

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
It's awesome and funny that you two got exactly what I was saying despite my horrible iPad typos!

After my two year lease is up and my son is done with high school a move is very likely so long as I can talk the wife into it...and what will be an 11 year old daughter who will insist I'm ruining her life. :lol:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Affirmative action in action, got selected for a random TSA check at the airport - despite being in my ACUs lol

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Tigger, I recognize the equipment you guys got. XPR 4550, 6550, and the alpha pager. I dunno what the other two radios are.

An older Kenwood leftover from when we were on analog VHF. Half the county fire departments and the Sheriff's Office are still analog and while we can talk to them with our digital equipment, we still have it as backup.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
My week of vacation sadly comes to a end today :sad:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Well, decided to sell my truck. Finally got fed up with 14mpg. Ended up going with a new Subi Outback :D Still fits my needs, but just over double the gas mileage :p

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I drive a Toyota Tacoma. All of my "big truck driving" firefighter friends asked me if it came with a dental dam and Lilith Faire tickets. :/

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I get told I have little man syndrome. I am not very tall but I drive a lifted truck. Got to compensate somehow haha

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Did it come with a free pair of Birkenstocks? :rofl:

No! Those jerks!! :mad: :lol: I had my big truck fun. Luckily I can still go camping and offroading with the Subi :D

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I love my Forester, great car. And excellent mileage!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Turned in my medic application 2 days ago. When the secretary was looking through all the paperwork she looked at my AP class grade and said "wow, I haven't seen an A in AP in a long time". Now I'm not so worried about the entrance tests.