the 100% directionless thread

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't even want to know how far down that list I am :glare:

Im probably #32.5 (the .5 because im special).

We're a fairly good sized company too, I guess this goes to show how transient the EMS workforce can be.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Time to grow up and get a big boy job.......

215519_1510664009059_1571803639_n.jpg

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't even want to know how far down that list I am :glare:

Im probably #32.5 (the .5 because im special).

To be fair the company is only two years old, but we are up to 40 ambulances so I was still surprised.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
certain assignments are worth more than others regardless of how many points they are out of. It will be outline in your syllabus how much is worth what. It may be something like Exams 50%, homework 25% and quizzes 25%. So if you have a homework assignment and a test both worth 100 points you can not just add the two together and average the points. You would take the exam grade total and multiply by the percentage and then do the same with the homework and add them together.

http://www.blacksdomain.com/files/Notes/Calculating_WA.php

Awesome thanks. Congrats on the RN thing :).

Epi-do

I see dead people
Just curious, what would you give someone for an allergic reaction if they were allergic to Benadryl?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Just curious, what would you give someone for an allergic reaction if they were allergic to Benadryl?

Epi

Edit
If you're talking oral there are other antihistamines in the same family but most don't work as well for allergies or are more sedating. I think many of the anti nausea drugs were originally anti histamines.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Epi

Edit
If you're talking oral there are other antihistamines in the same family but most don't work as well for allergies or are more sedating. I think many of the anti nausea drugs were originally anti histamines.

I've run into a lot of people who are allergic to the dye rather than the diphenhydramine itself, so IV med wise your good. Also make sure your looking at a true allergy and not an unwanted side affect. "Benadryl puts me out for a week" is not an allergy, but will still often be treated as one.

Promethazine is an anti-histamine...but if they have a dystonic issue you don't have the next line drug.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse

I'm assuming you're referring to my post in the Narcan thread.

There's a generic brand of diphenhydramine that doesn't have citric acid in it that we use.

If it were to not be caught in time for the diphenhydramine to prevent respiratory involvement, she'd get albuterol/atrovent nebulized, epi SQ (or IV if necessary). That's speaking as an almost-medic, rather than a pseudo-parental unit.

Of course, if it got to that point we'd be hauling *** to the hospital or calling 911.

Since they finally figured out that it was citric acid she's allergic to (two years ago) she's never gotten past the point of needing more than the diphenhydramine.

EDIT:eff, just saw you're a medic, and apparently took your question in a different way than everyone else. Oh well, I'll leave the above for others

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Citric acid allergy, go figure... You mean there is Citric acid in Benadryl?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Citric acid allergy, go figure... You mean there is Citric acid in Benadryl?

Yup. It's in a lot of things. It's used as a preservative most of the time. Often it's in flavorings for children's medications as well. You wouldn't believe the problems we have when she gets sick.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I never knew that, interesting. Learned something today :)

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Is my new puppy cute or what?

hachi1u.jpg

hachinewfee.jpg

---------------------------edit----------------------
Darn, it appears image shack is not compatible for posting here. Sure wish they would let us upload photo's. Oh well.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Picked up my school's paramedic uniform today. Looking forward to September 4th.

I think you posted up the wrong links.

scaled.php

scaled.php

I dislike imageshack. I just downloaded apache, portforward 80, and host my images off of my computer instead. Easier.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I've run into a lot of people who are allergic to the dye rather than the diphenhydramine itself, so IV med wise your good. Also make sure your looking at a true allergy and not an unwanted side affect. "Benadryl puts me out for a week" is not an allergy, but will still often be treated as one.

Promethazine is an anti-histamine...but if they have a dystonic issue you don't have the next line drug.

No, I wasn't thinking adverse reactions. I was talking about a true allergic reaction. Unfortunately, we quit carrying promethazine a few years ago. We carry ondansetron for nausea/vomiting instead.

promethazine

we talking on the truck or in general?

More on the truck than in general. There are plenty of OTC options out there - claritan, zyrtec, etc - if benadryl isn't an option.

I'm assuming you're referring to my post in the Narcan thread.

Actually, I posted this before reading your post in that thread. After reading it though, I did find it somewhat ironic that I had just posed this question.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member