Stretching resulting in popping back

Limes

Forum Crew Member
A coworker today was simply stretching and felt a pop in his lower back which resulted in a pinching sensation (from where he pointed out, it looked like it was in the Lumbar vertebrae region).

CMS in both upper and lower extremities were reported as normal and functional. He's had previous back injuries as well. Also palpated the region, no tenderness or severe pain to the touch. Ice seemed to do the trick. Is it safe to say that a part of his vertebrae may have popped or slightly moved?

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Vertebrae, no. Disc, yes. It's the price we pay for walking erect. The pain starts only when a nerve is pinched, and usually radiates to one of the legs. If it was lumbar as you said, it has nothing to do with upper extremities. The L3/L4 hernias and lower (such as S1/S2) are by far the most common, and untold number of people live a normal life with it; in many cases, they do not even know they have a herniated disc simply because the nerve isn't pinched and nothing indicates the injury.

OP
OP
Limes

Limes

Forum Crew Member
Oh, I also forgot to ask. What treatment is available to these types of injuries (aside from surgery)? What are the most common ones used?

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Physiotherapy and chiropractice. Other than that, proper body mechanics, healthy diet and exercise.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
http://gonstead.com

Gonstead-practicing chiropractors have saved my husband & dad's sanity. The "Gonstead Method" is a method of chiropractic care that is gentler, without the jarring "twisting" or harshness typically associated with going to a chiropractor. I can't recommend them enough.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I pop and snap all the time when I move. My neck sounds like gravel. Gets some hilarious looks from people when it pops.

I'm not looking forward to getting old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dutemplar

Forum Captain
It wouldn't hurt to do spinal stretches and some core exercises, as tolerated and approved by his physician.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
There are quite a few reasons why a back may "pop" or "snap" when you stretch, stand up, or otherwise change position. Generally speaking, if a vertebral body makes any sound like that, it's probably not good. Discs, ligaments, and tendons all can make that noise. Here's the thing: if there's a problem, you can try to treat it symptomatically and hope it heals on it's own or you can go to a physician/surgeon that understands back issues and actually try to figure out what the underlying problem is and fix it if possible.

(Gentle reminder to all here, please do be careful about medial advice. It's generally frowned upon.)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Oh, I also forgot to ask. What treatment is available to these types of injuries (aside from surgery)? What are the most common ones used?
Per our rules, we do not offer medical advice here. It's best to seek treatment counsel from a physician.
No Medical Advice

To ensure the safety of everyone, EMTLife participants are not allowed to provide or seek medical advice via the forum, private message, or via EMTLife's email feature. Information contained on or made available through EMTLife is not intended to and does not constitute medical advice or recommendations of any kind. Participants seeking medical advice or treatment should contact their physician or local emergency services.