Starting EMT School this Fall!

ACarpenter696

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, I am starting EMT school this fall to obtain my basic EMT certification. Any tips or advice? I would love to hear how things are in different cities, locations, etc. I am attending school in San Antonio. I would love to hear from anyone in the same area as well. I am very excited and nervous at the same time!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Which school in San Antonio? I assume SAC? Since I don't think we're starting a Basic class at UTHSCSA anytime soon.

As far as tips, just read your book. Make sure you read each chapter prior to covering it in class.

OP
OP
ACarpenter696

ACarpenter696

Forum Ride Along
Yes, at SAC. Thank you. I'm excited to get my book haha

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Hey everyone, I am starting EMT school this fall to obtain my basic EMT certification. Any tips or advice? I would love to hear how things are in different cities, locations, etc. I am attending school in San Antonio. I would love to hear from anyone in the same area as well. I am very excited and nervous at the same time!

Read the forum. Theres lots of advice here.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I would say look into the anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology chapters of your book. Those can be the hardest chapters to learn if you've never taken a A/P class.

Like STXmedic says, try to be a chapter ahead prior to the lecture.

swinf1

Forum Probie
1. What the others said about reading the chapters before class can't be overemphasized!
2. If you have enough time, I would recommend re-reading every chapter until you're confident you know the material well (I generally tried to read each chapter a total of 3 times if I was able to).
3. Taking notes on the computer (or by hand if that's easier) as you read the textbook is really helpful.
4. Try to make note of areas that are more difficult (like the various signs and symptoms of diseases like pneumonia) and then when it's time to study before a test, review those areas even more.
Those were the things I did and I passed my class with a 95%. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Mya

Forum Crew Member
Throughout my course I made lists of every disease/condition/anything I would encounter and would list S/S for each and Treatment for each also. I also wrote down vitals for specific conditions where pertinent , like "narrowing bp". It also helps you compare and contrast easily, like angina vs heart attack.

Surf40

Forum Probie
Flash cards...if you don't already use flash cards for studying, now is a good time. Read ahead of time, make flash cards, and study throughout the class. If you only study what you're currently learning, you're going to forget stuff from earlier in the class and you're going to be hurting come skills and final testing. Proactiveness is key in doing well and keeping you stress under control.

OP
OP
ACarpenter696

ACarpenter696

Forum Ride Along
Great answers and tips. Thank you all so much. I am a couple weeks out from starting class, but I've already read through the first few chapters. Very excited