sphygmomanometer cuffs

reaper

Working Bum
The best way is--- Don't palpate a BP! On my truck you better give me a real BP, not half assed. There is hardly ever a time when you should have to palpate a BP.

On that thought. Good scope and practice is the best method

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If I was to observe a medic requiring two people to "palpate" a blood pressure, they could be assured that they would get to go to remediation classes and or have the chance to resign. The same if one has to pull a unit over to obtain a set of vital signs.

There are a very few times that "pulling over" should be required, and one of those is not obtaining vital signs. This is why practicing on mundane calls, transfers is essential to be proficient. Obtaining a blood pressure is a one person tasks, unless there is specific reasons such as being combatitive or obesity...

R/r 911

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
If I was to observe a medic requiring two people to "palpate" a blood pressure, they could be assured that they would get to go to remediation classes and or have the chance to resign. The same if one has to pull a unit over to obtain a set of vital signs.

There are a very few times that "pulling over" should be required, and one of those is not obtaining vital signs. This is why practicing on mundane calls, transfers is essential to be proficient. Obtaining a blood pressure is a one person tasks, unless there is specific reasons such as being combatitive or obesity...

R/r 911

Yes I do agree with you, A "MEDIC" should not ever let on that something is difficult.(i am referring to a B/P by/P enroute, thready, ruff roads,etc).
You have made a very good point, You will not see someone put themselves in a tight spot, its just going to be a simple little fabrication. And if you think that is not done, I have a few acres of prime real estate you might be interested in.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Hopefully, a professional would "hone" their skills, especially those that are simplistic and are going to be used on every call.

Are there calls where it is hard to hear, or difficult to obtain blood pressures .. you bet. That is the breaks of life, but those should be an oddity not a regular basis. As well, you would realize this before transport.

If I catch a Paramedic "fudging" a vital sign in regards to an emergency call.. there will be problems.

Again, the difference is I would understand perfusion levels. Realizing the numbers is not as importance as the LOC, and perfusion to distal extremities knowing that if I have a popliteal pulse I have at least a systolic of 90 or greater.

Numbers are great, but knowing perfusion level is more important since that is really what we are after.

R/r 911

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
Finally got myself a AMG sphygomomanometer yesterday ^^.
Been practicing on friends and family, even teachers...whoever I can talk into letting me practice on. I find that with practice, I'm learning the amount of air to let out at once on this specific cuff, and finding ways to hear the Korotkoff sounds when theyre harder to hear. hopefully, good getting good BPs just takes a lot of practice.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Those little digital ADC sphygomomanometers are pretty cool because they're self-calibrating, hard to destroy, lightweight, accurate, and have a decent warranty.

They're not too expensive either. At the rate we keep having sphygomomanometers going out of whack or getting broken where I work, it'd be a godsend.

OP
OP
crash_cart

crash_cart

Forum Crew Member
Finally got myself a AMG sphygomomanometer yesterday ^^.
Been practicing on friends and family, even teachers...whoever I can talk into letting me practice on. I find that with practice, I'm learning the amount of air to let out at once on this specific cuff, and finding ways to hear the Korotkoff sounds when theyre harder to hear. hopefully, good getting good BPs just takes a lot of practice.

LOL-I had a good chuckle when I read this. I was pumped too(pun not intended) and practice on everyone. You know you're a real pro when you can get the diastolic when you palpate the radial pulse.;)

Artique

Forum Crew Member
That sucks that they diddent supply you with those tools. THose should be mandatory prior to even going to class. Either way, Its cool once you start doing some hands on stuff. Its awkward becuse so many EMS workers have done this time and time again, yet for me it was cool as @#%&. Hehe just like my first day on a rig will be Im sure.

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
Hopefully, a professional would "hone" their skills, especially those that are simplistic and are going to be used on every call.

Are there calls where it is hard to hear, or difficult to obtain blood pressures .. you bet. That is the breaks of life, but those should be an oddity not a regular basis. As well, you would realize this before transport.

If I catch a Paramedic "fudging" a vital sign in regards to an emergency call.. there will be problems.

Again, the difference is I would understand perfusion levels. Realizing the numbers is not as importance as the LOC, and perfusion to distal extremities knowing that if I have a popliteal pulse I have at least a systolic of 90 or greater.

Numbers are great, but knowing perfusion level is more important since that is really what we are after.

R/r 911

Very good answer, I am a believer in the perfusion levels, However they don't ask for our Gut, Instinct, or any other "I know,I Know" methods that we rely on in the field. The Report has those reality boxes that need to be done or documentation as to why the boxes aren't completed has to be.
So here is where there has been some indiscretion.

Then there has been some thinking that involving another to get vitals in "Rare" situation is a wast of another attendant time. When on a 40-60 min transport, 20+ vitals might be appropriate, what is wrong with helping and learning together?
And there is many a time when stopping is done, We do try and get that done on a intersection. but that just isn't practical in some cases.