So I stopped at an accident off-duty...

Shock

Forum Probie
I was on my way home from the store, and I was on a pretty busy 3-lane highway. Anyway, I rolled up to a "side-swipe" low-mechanism accident, blocking the middle lane. Driver of the vehicle that caused the accident was yelling at two females in their car, both whom are visibly shaken and scared. As I got out of my vehicle, he returned to his. Both parties denied injury, female was terrified of the male driver. Male driver was obviously aggressive, I had him stay in his vehicle. The female driver was so upset that she handed me the phone to talk to the dispatcher. She had a teenage patient with CP in the passenger seat, stating that she was jolted around and may be injured, but denied any pain or symptoms (visibly upset -- seatbelt in use, no deployment) Both occupants of this vehicle were very upset. I was unable to safely get to the teenager due to traffic in lane 1 and 3, so I just obtained a history. I talked to both drivers to keep things calm, and advised the dispatcher of 1 possible injury -- and to have PD step it up. Once an ambulance arrived, I gave report, and left.

I feel pretty useless for not physically assessing the patient, but I didn't feel safe stepping out into a lane that wasn't blocked, as I did not feel that she had any serious or emergent injury that would indicate me doing so until that lane could be blocked and directed by PD or fire.

It later turned out that the accident was an incident of road rage -- and the male driver attempted to force them off the road. I was the first to stop at this incident, I usually will avoid these unless the mechanism is high. I advised the "victims" that I would stay with them until the ambulance arrived. I pretty much just tried to cool them down and re-assure them that they were safe now...

Did I handle this ok?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You did more than most people, including me, would have bothered to do. Don't see an issue with what you did

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
You got yourself involved in an aggravated assault incident, you exposed yourself to traffic and the dude who caused the crash. For what? To get a history that the people who called 911 are perfectly capable of giving on their own?

Good intentions, but take into consideration what you're bringing to the table next time. Very few times would I ever stop -- including rural accidents, motorcycle accidents, or CPR.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
You tried to help, and it sounds like you didn't make things worse. I think a willingness to engage is a good thing more often than not.

OP
OP
S

Shock

Forum Probie
I agree with you, tee. I don't think stopping was really the best idea. This was the first MVA I stopped at off-duty, I usually roll by them. Given my car isn't equipped with anything other than napkins and a little CPR mask, I think I'm going to avoid this in the future. Though I bet I could make a mean ghetto-tourniquet if I needed one... I did mean well, and I was able to help calm both parties down.

Until it gets you killed.
Those people needed help. Yes, it was risky. But sometimes in good heart you have to be willing to take those risks. If I was in their situation, I would feel much better knowing that someone who didn't need to came to my aide. Not playing hero here, but sometimes you have to have a heart.

jwk

Forum Captain
You got yourself involved in an aggravated assault incident, you exposed yourself to traffic and the dude who caused the crash. For what? To get a history that the people who called 911 are perfectly capable of giving on their own?

Good intentions, but take into consideration what you're bringing to the table next time. Very few times would I ever stop -- including rural accidents, motorcycle accidents, or CPR.
Kudos to Shock - sorry - it would be just a little bit better world if more people gave a damn and didn't just pass by.

squirrel15

Forum Captain

I have to disagree with you here. Sometimes life isn't perfect and can be a bit dangerous, it would be a boring life if risk is never involved. Id say OP handled it well and assessed the situation well. They recognized stepping into other lanes of unblocked traffic was to risky and remained where they were, and their presence was enough to have the aggravated party remain in their vehicle. Also, they didn't overstep trying to play Ricky rescue, they did what they could without furthering damage or risk to anyone.

I say well done by OP

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
I understand the excitement of being new to EMS. You'll learn to leave work at work. You can give a damn by calling 911 if you feel the need to do so. Stopping on the highway and being in the way doesn't really benefit anyone.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
I wouldn't have bothered with the interview, being that it was a car accident with uninjured patients. But it was good that you were there to help secure the scene.

OP
OP
S

Shock

Forum Probie
I understand the excitement of being new to EMS. You'll learn to leave work at work. You can give a damn by calling 911 if you feel the need to do so. Stopping on the highway and being in the way doesn't really benefit anyone.
I'm not particularly new to this, and it doesn't exactly excite me. The mechanism was low, I knew the chance of injury was slight. But you have to understand the circumstances that I rolled up to. You have to make a decision as a person of whether or not you would let a mother and her child in a car be bullied by someone and drive on by. EMS provider or not, there were no injuries. When help arrived, he backed down. Suddenly he wasn't so tough anymore.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If the cars were drivable I think I'd ask them to move out of traffic... Would suck to have a legit accident occur because two people involved in traffic stayed in the middle lane. Then do whatever you want, I dislike being in traffic.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
The being new comment was directed to you personally.

The funny thing about incidents like this is there may always be another side to the story, like innocent mom really isn't so innocent after a hit and run, and that 'bully' is a good samaritan trying to stop her. Slight exaggeration, but you get the point. Involving yourself in someone else's personal affairs, although may have good intentions, more often ends up with you getting the short end of the stick.

OP
OP
S

Shock

Forum Probie
I'm aware of the personal jab, though mislead. I treated everyone on-scene neutrally. Both parties were asked to remain in their cars, and not move them (due to accusations, this was a crime scene until proven otherwise in my eyes) I assessed everyone for injury with no bias to what happened. I re-assured the mother that I would stay with her until police arrived, and the assailant that I was only there to make sure no-body was hurt. The location of the incident sparked numerous 911 calls to police from witnesses. That's their job, not mine. I am not a police officer, it is not my job to deal with that. I left my opinion out of it.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
It's not your job to deal with any of it while off duty...

But hey, you did what you thought was right and nothing was wrong with that. All I'm saying is be careful in the future. Good intentions these days tend to screw people over.

EMTinCT

Forum Crew Member
I stopped at an accident with two entrapments and severe injuries that I chanced upon while driving in my small town in my rural area. Bystanders were already dialing 911 to report it. About a minute into helping one of the patients my pager went off summoning my FD to the scene. I guess you can say my FD got there before the call was even made making it the fastest response time ever. We ended up calling for two helicopters and three additional FDs to help with the entrapment. The helios had time to land and their crews come to the scene from 5 miles away at the LZ.

Stopping at the scene of an accident really depends on many factors. In rural areas with lengthy response times (such as mine) I would hope an off-duty or on-call FF or EMT would stop for me. If nothing else to ensure that help is coming and I wouldn't be so alone. If it was the suburbs or urban area with quick response times and the vehicles were not on fire I would call 911 and report it. There isn't one blanket rule to responding while off-duty.

Let's try to use our hearts as often as we use our heads.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I think it's reasonable (not at all mandatory) to stop at a major car accident, cardiac arrest, etc. We all know that there is often little we can do other than call 911 and CPR/First Aid but depending on the situation , having a calm person there used to dealing with stressful situations can be a good thing.

When I was a new EMT I stopped every once in a while. Now it's extremely rare.

reaper

Working Bum
I'm aware of the personal jab, though mislead. I treated everyone on-scene neutrally. Both parties were asked to remain in their cars, and not move them (due to accusations, this was a crime scene until proven otherwise in my eyes) I assessed everyone for injury with no bias to what happened. I re-assured the mother that I would stay with her until police arrived, and the assailant that I was only there to make sure no-body was hurt. The location of the incident sparked numerous 911 calls to police from witnesses. That's their job, not mine. I am not a police officer, it is not my job to deal with that. I left my opinion out of it.
You handled it exactly as you should Have. It is up to you, if you want to stop and help. No one else is there at that scene. You did not act as a rickey rescue. You handle the scene just fine.

Do not listen to those that forgot what helping people is all about. Always use your head and do what you think is right.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm trying not to overthink this:
You come upon a scene with possible injuries. You didn't plan it that way -- it just happened.
Nobody else is helping -- no EMS, no PD, no FD.
You have some training that makes it a little more likely that you can help. -- probably not, but maybe.
If you stop, you're going to suffer inconvenience and, yes, possibly death -- sort of like when you plan a trip involving air travel.
You can keep right on driving because you don't have to stop.
Or you can stop.
If it's my family at that scene, I really hope you stop.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
I think the big thing is that you were able to separate the parties. If that had been me and my little sister against a verbally violent man, it would make a BIG difference to me that someone stopped. Obviously it means personal risk, but if you're off duty I'm not judging as long as you're smart about it. The fact that you are employed as an EMT is probably irrelevant for the most part, other than mad scene control skills. But as a human being I'd say you did good.