So I got my EMT-B cert. now....

michelie0

Forum Probie
I am going to take the NREMT in about a week. anyone have any pointers or advice for me? Because I hear there is a high failure rate.

Also what kind of jobs can I get besides working on a ambulance/firefighter?
Right now I do not have a license so I will not be able to work any jobs related to driving.
Anyone have any ideas?

FFPARAMEDIC08

Forum Probie
As disassociative stated, your local ER would probably be more than happy to hire you as a tech.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm kinda in the same boat you are. Once I get licensed, I cannot work on a truck because I am under 21. I found, though, that the service I want to work for has an Inventory Control Tech position, which will at least get my foot in the door.

Plus I'm applying for ER as well

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
you have to be 21 to drive an ambulance?

The ambulance companies here have that requirement because their insurance company will not insure people to drive under 21 or 23 depending on area

Jolt

Forum Crew Member
I found a company that will let me volunteer as an EMT at 17, but I'm not allowed to drive any company vehicles until I'm 18. At least I get the experience and I get plenty of patient contact time because I'm always in the back of the truck (with someone else for now).

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
you have to be 21 to drive an ambulance?

Unless the service is self insured or usually a municipality, one usually has to be at least 21 or 23 years of age. Most professional EMS services requires EMT's to be at least that age. As well, some areas require EVOC and or commercial drivers license.

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Some private services may let you just tech. It does not hurt to call and check.

You can always become a dispatcher.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
I am going to take the NREMT in about a week. anyone have any pointers or advice for me? Because I hear there is a high failure rate.
Remember your ABC's. Seriously. I know that sounds silly but unless they've changed the EMT-B test, a LOT of the questions involved 'which do you do first' scenarios. IE, check the airway first before you adress the wound on the pt. arm or leg. Something like that.

Also what kind of jobs can I get besides working on a ambulance/firefighter?
Right now I do not have a license so I will not be able to work any jobs related to driving.
Anyone have any ideas?
To the best of my knowledge in all states, EMT and Firefighter are different certifications. Just because you're an EMT doesn't mean you're going to be able to be a FF, that's a different class all together and just FYI, there's at least three certifications for that too. Volunteer FF (36 hour class), FF Level 1 (120 hour class) and FF Level 2 (240 hour class).

Check with your local resources. As others have said, a lot of hospitals hire EMT's as Pt. Care Technicians. You can also check with some of the local hospital transport companies, all the ones in THIS area hire EMT-B's. You can also check the local FD (or whever handles 911 EMS calls in your area).

As for an age limit to be able to drive an ambulance, that's completely up to the local jurisdiction / company and their insurance company. With our local jurisdiction you only need to be 18, have no points on your license, and have the EVOC class.

OP
OP
M

michelie0

Forum Probie
thanks I think I will check with some of the local hospitals.
Another question..
what should I be wearing when I go? Blue pants and polo shirt...or buisness clothes since its kind of an interview. I just want to make a good impression so let me know

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
The rule for an interview is to wear the clothes generally seen in the workplace. In the ER you have to count out scrubs and what the patients wear. Pants and a polo shirt is good. Just make sure your fingernails are clean, your hair is combed and your shoes don't look like they've lived in the back seat of your car for the last 6 weeks.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Remember, one can always dress down, but not dress up. Business, attire such as either a pressed sport shirt, dress jacket, pants and yes shined leather shoes. Women, a nice dress pants type suit, or dress.

As a ER manager/director I can assure you image is essential. Never wear a uniform type for a an interview, unless you have made contact prior and both agreed informal meeting. It is a sure killer of not getting the recognition that apparently this was not important enough, for you to present yourself formally.

Good luck,

R/r 911

GoIrishEMT

Forum Ride Along
As for an age limit to be able to drive an ambulance, that's completely up to the local jurisdiction / company and their insurance company. With our local jurisdiction you only need to be 18, have no points on your license, and have the EVOC class.

The private company I worked for required employees to be 21 years old before they can drive the rig. This is simply because their insurance would not insure a driver under 21. So, as I was only 20 when I worked during the summer, I was stuck doing patient care in the back for every call.

Surprisingly, no EVOC class was required to drive once the age requirement was met. I remember one of my coworkers telling me that on his first day on the job fresh out of EMT class, he was stuck on the rig and expected to drive even though he lacked any training whatsoever.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Without knowing your educational background, I'm going to have to suggest college. At the very least, take anatomy and physiology. If you're having trouble writing, take a writing class (I found that my milage varied with the 4 undergrad writing courses I took). In addition, while others aren't so brazen, I feel that biochemisty helped enhance how I look at things.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Aruund here they are called ERT (Emergency Room Tech) and they are a mostly clerical position. They phone for labs, enter info into the computer, if the nurses are busy they help settle a pt into a room, transfer from gurney, might take some vitals, hook up EKG's, change sheets, and do pretty much anything that the rest of the ER staff doesn't have time to do. They let admitting know when a pt can or can't see family, show the new medics where the cleaning supplies are, but at our hospital, the position is listed as clerical/non technical.

GoIrishEMT

Forum Ride Along
ER Techs also get paid a lot higher than an EMT would working in the field with a private service.

EMT-B in the privates make $10 (in the Midwest), Paramedics make about $15 (again, in the Midwest).

I'd imagine that the salaries are substantially higher for ER Techs and Advanced Techs working in a hospital, not to mention benefits.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
ER techs, EMT's, CNA, PCR's, doo dah, etc.. are all the same. It is all dependent upon what the institution wants to call the technician as well as what they want to require as training and pay. Basically, it is considered a "non-licensed" position, in which you will assist (do the dirty work) licensed staff. Some ER's consider Paramedic level as requirement for such positions, again dependent upon the hospital and their local regulations.

R/r 911