Skills Refresher?

Shelby

Forum Crew Member
I'm in the process of renewing my EMT-B, and one of the requirements through the state is having my skills reverified. The problem is that I have been out of the field for awhile, and while I have already done my CE units, I need some help remembering/relearning the skills portion. I've called community colleges, fire departments, posted an ad on Craigslist (I know, I know, I was trying to think outside of the box) and there doesn't seem to be anyone or anywhere that teaches just skills without retaking the whole class or doing CEs as well. I wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas. I'm currently in Florida (Tampa), but I am moving back to California (Sacramento) in a few weeks, so getting it done in either place would work..

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
http://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/psychomotor_exam_emt.asp

Just look over those, you shouldn't really need to touch most of the stuff to remember how to do it. Most I can see someone needing is practicing splinting, and you can buy the stuff you need at CVS and practice on someone.

You already know how to squeeze a BVM, put on AED pads and administer oxygen. My advice? Don't stress out about it.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Are you renewing state? Or national? If state then I would try to do the skills in the state you're renewing in, if national then anywhere would suffice. I help teach skills at one of the local EMT classes but I'm all the way down in So CAL, you could shoot me a pm if you have questions. As far as looking for someone to sign off your skills it sounds like you've done about all you can, I would just keep trying. Maybe call a fire dept. or ambulance company and talk to whoever is in charge of training and see if they can sign off skills. Same goes with the JC, call and talk to the instructor explain the situation and see if you can come in.

Skills aint all that hard, I just recently renewed everything (State, National, CPR, Ambulance DL) like Chewy linked all you really need to do is look over most of the stuff. Splinting and back boarding would be the biggest things that people struggle with. Other than that its pretty self explanatory, you know how to use a BVM, put on a cannula, mask, CPR. Like Chewy says don't stress about it.

OP
OP
Shelby

Shelby

Forum Crew Member
Thank you both for the advice. At the moment, I'm just renewing state. I'm going to take you up on that PM once I get home from work tonight. I actually did my EMT class in socal, took off at 19 to go spend a month in Los Angeles for the accelerated program at UCLA, best experience ever. I just got off of the phone with the county office down in Sacramento, and they said any EMT-B or paramedic can sign off on skills, so that's good, now it's just remembering everything.. it's been awhile and I was hoping to at least find an oxygen tank to practice with, as well as inserting airways, but I've got a little time, hopefully I'll find something. Thanks again for the help! :)

ecphotoman

Forum Crew Member
I'm in the process of renewing my EMT-B, and one of the requirements through the state is having my skills reverified. The problem is that I have been out of the field for awhile, and while I have already done my CE units, I need some help remembering/relearning the skills portion. I've called community colleges, fire departments, posted an ad on Craigslist (I know, I know, I was trying to think outside of the box) and there doesn't seem to be anyone or anywhere that teaches just skills without retaking the whole class or doing CEs as well. I wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas. I'm currently in Florida (Tampa), but I am moving back to California (Sacramento) in a few weeks, so getting it done in either place would work..
If your coming back to california don't stress. There are a few ambulance companies that do the skills testing with out taking the class. The going rate is 40-60 in OC and IE area. I would recommend taking a full refresher though, it helped me a lot when I was out of practice for a year.

OP
OP
Shelby

Shelby

Forum Crew Member
I should have, but I already did my CEs online. :/ I'm trying to recert as quickly as I can because NCTI starts in May. I'm thinking between now and then maybe I can get into a full refresher just for the knowledge, but my main concern at the moment is just being able to pass the skills.. knowing me, I feel like I'll fail on something easy like operating the o2 tank lol.

ecphotoman

Forum Crew Member
I should have, but I already did my CEs online. :/ I'm trying to recert as quickly as I can because NCTI starts in May. I'm thinking between now and then maybe I can get into a full refresher just for the knowledge, but my main concern at the moment is just being able to pass the skills.. knowing me, I feel like I'll fail on something easy like operating the o2 tank lol.
My local AMR office runs a refresher every other week. I did one earlier this week cause I'm starting a new job on the 30th and I wanted to be up on everything. They charge $150 its 3 days in a row, they sign off your skills and include a BLS card renewal. They are really helpful and patient when it comes to the skills portion and make sure everyone gets enough hands on time.

OP
OP
Shelby

Shelby

Forum Crew Member
That's awesome to know.. I'm going to check with the AMR in Sac about that now.. may have been the answer I needed. :) Thanks! Are you in California as well

OP
OP
Shelby

Shelby

Forum Crew Member
Ahh, they just sent me over to the NCTI line, where their next refresher is a week before I move home, and almost $400. Onto the next option.

ecphotoman

Forum Crew Member
That's awesome to know.. I'm going to check with the AMR in Sac about that now.. may have been the answer I needed. :) Thanks! Are you in California as well
Check with the local office also have them check their nearby offices. AMR is huge in Cali and run classes out of pretty much all of their operations centers. Yes, I'm in the Inland Empire and have taken classes out of their Rancho Cucamonga office.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I'm trying to recert as quickly as I can because NCTI starts in May.

Why waste the money on a refresher class if you're starting medic school in May? Skills would be the least of my worries, I would look into anatomy/ physiology, and ecg classes. Don't know much about the EMS agency in Sacramento County but all you should need is 24 hours of CE's and skills signed off. If you're worried about losing knowledge look in your EMT book and study the topics that you're having trouble on.

OP
OP
Shelby

Shelby

Forum Crew Member
Good point. I already finished 48 hours of CE and feel okay in that department. I think I'm overthinking.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I have contacts here who can sign you off for a nominal fee; Bay Area (Oakland/Livermore). PM me if you want details.

OP
OP
Shelby

Shelby

Forum Crew Member
I can't find the button to message you. I think it's because I haven't posted enough to send messages yet. Could you shoot me a PM and see if it works?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
You click their screen name and then click start a conversation. And you should only need 5 messages... Or did they bump it up to 10...? I don't know. I'm well past that point.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
American Health Education in Dublin, CA (San Francisco Bay Area) has a popular refresher with skills sign off.