Should I be an EMT or emergency room technician?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey thats great and your option. But please don't make EMS look like a bad thing. I have made a very good living from EMS and will retire very nicely. However, I didn't choose EMS for the money so what ever the pay would have been fine with me. I love what I do.

Where did I make EMS "look like a bad thing?"

I said that I wouldn't recommend it to someone based on the low pay (among other things).

Last edited by a moderator:

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Where did I make EMS "look like a bad thing?"

I said that I wouldn't recommend it to someone based on the low pay (among other things).

It just seems that most of your post are negative about the EMS profession. All I am trying to say is just because you have had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone will.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
It just seems that most of your post are negative about the EMS profession. All I am trying to say is just because you have had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone will.

Meh. 24s have made me jaded a bit; I'll admit that. I don't think I've posted anything that isn't true, though.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Meh. 24s have made me jaded a bit; I'll admit that. I don't think I've posted anything that isn't true, though.

In South Carolina and Louisiana (I worked in both) the schedules are 12's on a 5 and 2 rotate. Average starting pay is 32K a year with full benefits. Some private companies pay more. You can also pick up tons of overtime by working sporting events, races and festivals. So you see, just because it is bad for you doesn't make it bad for everyone.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
In South Carolina and Louisiana (I worked in both) the schedules are 12's on a 5 and 2 rotate. Average starting pay is 32K a year with full benefits. Some private companies pay more. You can also pick up tons of overtime by working sporting events, races and festivals. So you see, just because it is bad for you doesn't make it bad for everyone.

I wouldnt say it's been bad, just far from ideal.

loves2(k)box84

Forum Ride Along
What about doing both?

Hello all, new to this site somewhat and looking for some advice. I'm so green, it's hard to even know if I'm asking the right questions!

There were only a couple of posts from some of you that work both out in the field and as a tech and they were great to read.

So my question is, it's ok to work as both? Anybody run into any problems scheduling shifts and that kind of thing? For example, the hospital wants you to come in d/t sick calls but you tell them you can't b/c you're supposed to work on the rig. Any conflicts of interest?

I currently work as a housekeeper at a local hospital and I've been applying for ER tech and ER unit secretary jobs. However, I am also in nursing school and my long term goals are to work as an ER nurse AND hopefully something pre-hospital like flight nurse or critical care transport nurse (again, LONG term goal). With that said, I am also in the process of applying to become an EMT. I want OUT of housekeeping like you wouldn't believe. It was a great stepping stone and foot-in-the-door but I'm ready to graduate into something more appropriate for my career. I fell in love with nursing and with EMS, that's where my heart is!

I work on-call at the hospital so I pretty much dictate which days I want to work so I'm looking for another on-call/per diem position in the ED. Working that schedule helps as I can reduce my hours when school starts back up (I'm on summer break).

So again, just looking for any advice/input on pros/cons of working both as an EMT and ER tech and possibly if anybody can honestly tell me if what I'm doing is crazy or not! :D

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello all, new to this site somewhat and looking for some advice. I'm so green, it's hard to even know if I'm asking the right questions!

There were only a couple of posts from some of you that work both out in the field and as a tech and they were great to read.

So my question is, it's ok to work as both? Anybody run into any problems scheduling shifts and that kind of thing? For example, the hospital wants you to come in d/t sick calls but you tell them you can't b/c you're supposed to work on the rig. Any conflicts of interest?

I currently work as a housekeeper at a local hospital and I've been applying for ER tech and ER unit secretary jobs. However, I am also in nursing school and my long term goals are to work as an ER nurse AND hopefully something pre-hospital like flight nurse or critical care transport nurse (again, LONG term goal). With that said, I am also in the process of applying to become an EMT. I want OUT of housekeeping like you wouldn't believe. It was a great stepping stone and foot-in-the-door but I'm ready to graduate into something more appropriate for my career. I fell in love with nursing and with EMS, that's where my heart is!

I work on-call at the hospital so I pretty much dictate which days I want to work so I'm looking for another on-call/per diem position in the ED. Working that schedule helps as I can reduce my hours when school starts back up (I'm on summer break).

So again, just looking for any advice/input on pros/cons of working both as an EMT and ER tech and possibly if anybody can honestly tell me if what I'm doing is crazy or not! :D

I see no conflict of interest working in the ER and on the road. As long as the ems service isn't owned by another hospital, go for it. Plenty of folks around here work both.