Seizure

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Ok,

So I just got home from a family style game/restaurant type thing (like Chuck E Cheese for adults). After we ate, we saw a few people gathered around something. There was a girl was laying on the floor and the employee and a manager were just kind of standing there. I went over, introduced myself as an EMT and asked if I could help. The manager directed me to the police officer who was calling for EMS. I introduced myself to him and asked him what happened. He said she just had a seizure and fire was on the way. He sort of pointed to her like "go ahead, do your thing". I stood there and told him there was really nothing I could do other than clear obstacles if she seizes again.

It sucked just standing there until EMS arrived. I felt so helpless. Could I have really done anything? What would you have done in the situation. BLS answers preferred.

Thanks,

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
you did what knew you could do. clear the obstacles , ensure scene control (which restaurant management and the police officer had under control), and when the patient is postictal, ensure an open airway and place patient left lateral unless you suspect a spinal injury (rare for a seizure). Obtain a history from patient's family or friend. Await EMS.

Unless the patient is actively seizing, even ALS will monitor, obtain HX, transport. Same is you.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
About the only thing you can do without equipment is gather a history, maintain an open airway, and ensure there safety

mikie

Forum Lurker
I agree with everyone thus far. You did what you could do- and we (at least me) commend for you for it. You took a genuine interest in something you could've ignored, knowing you had no tools to help.

skyemt

Forum Captain
you could also be there emotionally for that person...

she is not just a seizing body on the floor, but someone who may be terrified and anxious about what happened... she may postictal, altered mental, but that does not mean that on some level, she would not perceive of your presence and kind words...

i just feel that we sometimes get caught up in protocol (necessary, of course) and forget that emotional support can be one of the most powerful treatments we have... it doesn't appear in any "steps", but may make as much difference, if not more, than much of what we do...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Alike other stated, ensure she has a safe area, loosen the collar, after the seizure place them in a lateral position to allow drainage of secretions. One of the most important things that was briefly addressed to make sure that they have privacy if possible. Nothing more embarrassing for them to awake and have people stare at them. Remember many become incontinent as well.

Usually most post-ictal periods require some rest, by this time the FD/EMS should have had arrived.

Even with equipment, the care is not much different.

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I had this happen in Las Vegas at a convention. Pt had stopped seizing when I realized what was up. I just ensured ABC and talked to him as he regained conciousness. Crew arrived several minutes later and I relayed all info I gathered to them. It was in otherwards a very usualy EMS call.

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Re the privacy thing......also arrange for a blanket or coat to cover her. She may have wet herself while having the seizure. This can be very embarrassing for her, when she comes around in a public place.

Cheers Enjoynz

FFPARAMEDIC08

Forum Probie
First of all let me thank you for doing what so many people would be afraid to do (be it liability reasons or what have you).

You did everything you could do for the patient. Good job..

Even as a medic I would have had to wait for the convulsions to stop before giving IV valium.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
The only real thing you could do is move obsticles away from her.
Do your ABC's ensure an open and patent airway, make sure breathing is adequate, and assess for any signs of possible shock. See if there are blankets or something to cover her for if she becomes incontinent. You did a good job.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, there's a bunch in California. I don't know if there's any in Boston or not.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Even as a medic I would have had to wait for the convulsions to stop before giving IV valium.

Why? If you already have a pre-existing IV or give it rectally... Of course other option is nasal versed.

R/r 911

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Why? If you already have a pre-existing IV or give it rectally..

R/r 911
yeah but i think everyone standing around if you chose to do this in a public setting for some odd reason would be looking at you funny.^_^