Ride-Alongs in NYC?

Mihoshi

Forum Ride Along
New forum member here, and I come bearing training questions.

I've done my ER clinical for my EMT-B certification, but a few of the folks in my class seem to be doing ride-alongs with various different companies (some private, one with the FDNY), all of them through personal connections. If I knew them a little better, and if it didn't feel like using them, I'd probably grease them to get in on that.

As it stands, though, I was wondering if any of you all here know anything about how EMS ride-alongs work -- at least, in the city. My instructor didn't seem to have much useful information about it, though I know, at least according to the NYS EMS Handbook, that sometimes ambulance ride-alongs can either take the place of or supplement the 12-hour ER rotation, so there's gotta be a way to do it.

Any helpful hints, contacts, or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Call up the ambulance companies and inquire about getting on with a ride along. Don't be shy!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Any helpful hints, contacts, or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Despite the existance of FDNY EMS and various hospital based ambulances, there are volunteer ambulance corps in NYC. They are probably the best bet to get a ride along. Central Park has a volunteer first aid squad.
www.lindenwoodvac.org
www.glendalevac.org
www.wvac11357.com
www.ridgewoodvac.org
www.fhvac.org

The other suggestion I have is to call up St. Vincent Catholic Medical Center in Manhattan Speak to John or Marlene. You might have to pay for insurance but i think you can get some ride time.

OP
OP
Mihoshi

Mihoshi

Forum Ride Along
I was worried I'd have to cold-call, but if that's the way to do it, I'll do it.

Thanks for the suggestions, both of you.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Where in NYC are you?