Recommendations for continuing my Ed with a move to FL coming..

What A Ride

Forum Ride Along
I am currently an EMT-B in NH. I was planning on taking the EMT-I class over this next winter. However, we are moving to the Jacksonville area in 15 months. I read that Florida does not recognize EMT-I....

So my question is.... Would I be better off taking classes at the college here and transferring them to Jacksonville Community College when I move? Then I will just work towards the Paramedic level and finish in Florida. What do you think????

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
You are best off continuing your education at the earliest possible time, regardless of where you happen to be. Start getting A&P, microbiology, psychology, sociology and algebra out of the way ASAP. Those courses aren't just hoops to jump through in order to get into paramedic school. They will make you a much better EMT, so they are immediately relevant. And don't let any time pass between completing them and getting into the degree completion program.

Last edited by a moderator:

vquintessence

Forum Captain
I am currently an EMT-B in NH. I was planning on taking the EMT-I class over this next winter. However, we are moving to the Jacksonville area in 15 months. I read that Florida does not recognize EMT-I....

So my question is.... Would I be better off taking classes at the college here and transferring them to Jacksonville Community College when I move? Then I will just work towards the Paramedic level and finish in Florida. What do you think????

Make sure all the courses you take can transfer to JCC. It's hard enough transferring courses between schools in New England.

Sasha

Forum Chief

Why don't you just skip EMT-I since Florida doesn't recognize it, and go straight to Paramedic?

Then all you gotta do is come take the test!

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Fifteen months is almost 4 college semesters. You can take alot of courses during that time which will get you headed in the right direction for a degree.

If you take classes at a state or community college, you should not have a problem transferring but check with the colleges.

OP
OP
W

What A Ride

Forum Ride Along
I spoke to someone in admissions at FCCJ yesterday. I can take a number of classes with their distance learning program. I am going to start this summer with A&P I. That way I don't have to worry about transferring credits. My only concern was the tuition difference between in-state and out-of-state. But I need to be a resident of Fl for 12 months before the in-state tuition rate kicks in... The funny thing is..... the out-of-state tuition rate for FCCJ is almost the same as the in-state tuition rate up here!! This made it a no-brainer decision. At least this will give me an excuse to come to Jax to visit until the move arrives.

Are there any members here from Jax??

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I spoke to someone in admissions at FCCJ yesterday. I can take a number of classes with their distance learning program. I am going to start this summer with A&P I.
That could not possibly have been an academic advisor that you talked to. They would know better than to recommend A&P by distance. You cannot competently learn that stuff by distance. You need to participate in a laboratory environment too. Most colleges will not even accept an A&P credit if there was no lab. If FCCJ does, they probably suck.

If you have any hopes of being a really good medic, take all science courses in residence. Save the distance learning for things that are strictly didactic, and do not involve hands-on learning, like sociology, psychology, math, and English. That is plenty to keep you busy until you can get into a classroom. Like Vent said, you have nearly a year and a half. There is no reason you can't get that done.