Question regarding Quick-clot and Celox

DocPetey

Forum Probie
Hey all...

Long story short: I've decided to come out of retirement (Not loving this retirment thingie), and I'm recertifying in March, and will be working in Disaster Services. I know, I know...what the hell am I THINKING?? :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, I've been out since early 2005, and have no experience with Quick-Clot and Celox. Alot of the agencies out here are using it now, and although I understand its practical application, I'd like some input from anyone whose used these or similar products in the field.

Thanks!

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Hey all...

Long story short: I've decided to come out of retirement (Not loving this retirment thingie), and I'm recertifying in March, and will be working in Disaster Services. I know, I know...what the hell am I THINKING?? :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, I've been out since early 2005, and have no experience with Quick-Clot and Celox. Alot of the agencies out here are using it now, and although I understand its practical application, I'd like some input from anyone whose used these or similar products in the field.

Thanks!

Before I got off active duty, I witnessed the use of quick-clot on an amputated leg. The leg had a tourniquet applied, and was still bleeding profusely. After the quick-clot was applied, the bleeding stopped in about 15 seconds. It's a powder you put on the open wound, but be careful not to get it on skin. It's supposed to be used as a last resort tactic, even after a tourniquet is applied. I hope this helps a bit.

OP
OP
D

DocPetey

Forum Probie
Before I got off active duty, I witnessed the use of quick-clot on an amputated leg. The leg had a tourniquet applied, and was still bleeding profusely. After the quick-clot was applied, the bleeding stopped in about 15 seconds. It's a powder you put on the open wound, but be careful not to get it on skin. It's supposed to be used as a last resort tactic, even after a tourniquet is applied. I hope this helps a bit.

Yes it does!

However, I've heard of some concerns with the potential for burns with QuickClot. That, and there's a big difference when applying QC in a stable environment vs. a chaotic scene. And what about post-scene tx in a hospital setting when dealing with a wound that's been saturated with it? Ugh. Celox on the other hand, claims no burn risk, and can be used in hypothermic conditions.

I'm also interested in other clotting agents using chitosan-infused roller bandages (ie Hemcon) and chitosan granules (ie Celox). Currently, QC is found in many disaster response trauma kits, even though it is being phased out by the military (or so I've heard).

Anyone familiar with Hemotyp? I've looked into that, too.

The reason for my questions is, the position I'm looking at requires that I make recommendations for supplies. I've been out of the field for three years(and an embarassingly LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time since I was a Corpsman), so I have little practical knowledge of these items.

I've read all the product information available, but what I'm looking for is real-life experience.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
I dunno about QC being phased out of the military...or if it is I'm not aware of it. I teach USAF self-aid and buddy care (pretty much glorified combat first aid) and they're still teaching the use of it. But it could be on its way out...I'm not too sure. You know we're we're just guinea pigs for first aid tactics anyways...:) I'm not too sure on the hemotyp (spelling stinks there, I know).

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I've heard that the Celox doesn't have as severe an exothermic reaction as the earlier products which is why its being used more. But as with most things in emergencies, it will probably be referred to by the name of the product it replaces for decades.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
ehh...I've heard conflicting reports on clotting type materials, it is against our protocal here because anything you put in the wound such as any ointment or clotter or burn gel, has to be scrubbed out in the ER, which is very painful for the pt. I used to carry it with me until I learned that piece of info and I took it out of my bag, so now I just follow my states protocal for controling bleeding and it hasn't done me wrong yet.