PTL Airways...

ljmonnin12

Forum Ride Along
So in medic class the other day we got on the discussion about how we had to learn how to use the ptls at the beginning of the course for a rescue airway along with kings, combi's, etc and how we all hated the ptl. Is anyone out there still actually using those dinosaurs? I've never seen one stocked on a truck or used on a human for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I think I need to look those up. I've never even heard of one.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
A PTL is the same as a combi-tube.

I think you guys are thinking of a EOA/EGTA.

OP
OP
L

ljmonnin12

Forum Ride Along
It's like the grandfather to the combitube. It's weird. You inflate the cuff with a bvm. Our options for rescue airway in class were king, combi, lma, and ptl. When we tested they made us pick a card and whichever one was on it was the one we had to test on for the rescue airway. The instructors may or may not have purposefully not put the ptl card in the stack.. Haha

Attachments

• Image1461001506.415935.jpg
    Image1461001506.415935.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,105
Last edited:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It's like the grandfather to the combitube. It's weird. You inflate the cuff with a bvm. Our options for rescue airway in class were king, combi, lma, and ptl. When we tested they made us pick a card and whichever one was on it was the one we had to test on for the rescue airway. The instructors may or may not have purposefully not put the ptl card in the stack.. Haha

Jeebus wut is that.

OP
OP
L

ljmonnin12

Forum Ride Along
Right...? It was a complete joke. The big giant cuff literally fills the whole entire mouth....

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
To be fair, so does a King or Combitube's they're just shaped different so you don't see it.

PTLs are crap, but at one point they were what was available. Still better than the yellow bast@rd (an airway that still requires you to use a mask....great job guys) but still crap.

Of course if you get the tube it doesn't matter :D

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Should just use an iGel across all levels