Psychiatric Pt running

Comedic

Forum Probie
Has anyone had a psychiatric pt run or jump out of there rig. Or had heard of any pt's running or jumping out of there rig?

I have a reason for this post and a great story behind it. That we can all learn from.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I have heard of patient's "jumping out" of units before, as well as reading a litigation finding of the EMT's being held responsible for not "properly securing" a psychiatric patient from causing harm to themselves.

R/r 911

Mr. Anderson

Forum Probie
Have not had anyone jump out of the bus, but I have offered to let a few out on the side of the road.

I have a strict no chasing policy. If you don't want my help, then you don't want it. If you really need it & just don't know it, the cops will let me know when you're in custody.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I've had patients threaten to run, but none that actually did it. My partner had a patient that decided to open the doors on a major highway and take a leap. I understand it didn't turn out so well, for both the patient and tech in back.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I've had a patient jump out of the back on me before. Fortunately, we were pulling into the bay at the ER, so barely moving and he didn't get hurt. He then proceeded to run into the front entrance of the hospital. Apparently, once I got him to the hospital, he decided he was done with me.

certguy

Forum Captain
running pt.

I never had one bail out of the rig , but had a real scary time once when a rookie partner took off after a pcp'er ( who' earlier tried to kill his wife ) who was running from an ER in gang territory . The guy snapped 4 point leathers . I never left my partners hanging even if they were being stupid , so here we are 2 white guys in uniform with badges chasing a black guy in the middle of the night . After 3 blocks I finally got him to stop by yelling out " HEY STUPID !!! " I got him back to the ER and had a little discussion with him . Chewed his butt but good . He sat crooked for a week .

Emtgirl21

Forum Lieutenant
Oh yes and guess what I dont chase them. Not my job i'm not a cop. However I did have one psych pt get out of the ambulance after a little yelling match with me well when she heard my call for police she got back in the ambulance with the idea of kicking my butt. She regretted that one another ambulance, two police cars and 4 security guys later.

Our policy is that we can not restrain psych patients without law enforcement with us. So bout once a month or once every other month we end up going hands on

OP
OP
C

Comedic

Forum Probie
True Story

Here not to long ago. One of our ambulance was doing a facility transfer of a phys pt. Going from a hospital to a Psy facility.
We do these transfers all the time and so does most of the other services in the city. So it's nothing new I have done countless of them.

It was around 2:30pm on a Sunday afternoon. I heard one of our ambulance going on a transfer to one of the south hospitals. I was posted on the other side of town having Mexican food yummy.

About 3:00pm or so I heard a very frantic voice by one of our medics on our radio. Yelling I need an fire and an ambulance code 3 to our location.

I looked at my partner "I wonder what's going on. They are on a transfer."

Later on that day we heard. That the pt they were transferring.

Had jump out of the back of the ambulance and landed on the Interstate and got ran over by a car that was behind them.
If any of you know Denver it was on I-25 a very busy interstate.

After a week or so I spoke to the crew and asked what happen. The EMT in back said " I was sitting on the bench talking and laughing with the Pt. When the pt asked me if my partner would turn up the radio." She got up from the bench and went to the captains chair and told her partner to turn up the radio. Then looked back and saw the patient getting up very quickly and open the back door and jumped out.

Let me add the car that ran over the patient was her husband.

Stn2Emtb

Forum Ride Along
I can't say that was funny but in my experience with psych pts we just sat and looked at each other. Nobody ever talks. I don't believe any of my coworkers ever had someone jump. Threaten, yes but not actually do. In the community I'm in its rather small. Lots of Psychos but nobody who actually wants to do anything but die.

OP
OP
C

Comedic

Forum Probie
It was very sad. We all felt bad for the Pt's husband and kids.

And for the crew members.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We had a meth user that decided he really didn't want to go in with us after all. We had LEO following us in so when he went ballistic, we just radioed dispatch to inform LEO that the pt requested a change in transportation. We stopped, opened the doors and let the cop arrest him all over again.

So. IL Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Has anyone had a psychiatric pt run or jump out of there rig. Or had heard of any pt's running or jumping out of there rig?

I have a reason for this post and a great story behind it. That we can all learn from.

Had a pt try - a psych call for a meth addict with severe psychotic behavior (I know, what meth-head doesn't). We had him calmed down and cooperative when we loaded him. Law enforcement following. Travelling down the highway, the pt freaked. Damn near decked me and went for the back doors. Got one open as I had an arm around his neck trying to shove him back on the cot. My partner was on the ball ad immediately pulled over. Then the other door flew open and the cop following us came flying in horizontal in the air and slammed the pt to the cot. A very happy sight. Transport continued with pt in cuffs.

emt/ff71185

Forum Probie
We fortunetly should not run into that issue as we are required to have P.D. on board and the patient handcuffed to the cot. So unless they can open the door and release the cot they are not going anywhere and if they somehow managed that feat it would be on the officer instead of us.

joo

Forum Probie
I've had a patient try with PD following. Patient unbuckled his belt, push one emt down, then push me down, tried to elbow my driver in the face while trying to go through the front and tried jumping out the front door. We stopped in the process and PD ripped him out of the front seat.

We got lucky. He was going to the hospital for a psych evaluation because he tried to jump out of a car on the way up.

FFPARAMEDIC08

Forum Probie
I have never had a psych patient try to escape, but a patient (non psych) did take a swing at me once. At that point I instructed my partner to stop the rig, and we proceded to backboard him and put him face first on the cot. He wasn't interested in fighting after that. Not to mention it was a 20 minute ride to the hospital.

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
had my first few psych patients last weekend (3 in one shift, guess it was the full moon :p). One of them ripped the IV out of her arm, which was completely unexpected, but eventually she calmed down. Another just sat and rambled on about random things the whole ride (just smile and nod :p), and kept calling me a "nice nurse". Had a third that was picked up in a police holding cell. He broke the 4-points, so had to get him cuffed to the stretcher. He almost bit a cop, so we had to put a blanket over his face (masks didnt work). Couldn't get close enough to him for some midazolam, but when we got to the hospital, the nurse gave him a good dose of haldol. That was a bit of an adventure.

Out of those, never had a patient run from me, but if they did, I probably wouldn't run after them; I'm not a cop, and I'm not going to put myself at risk to catch the pt.