Pressure differentials and body systems

skyemt

Forum Captain
the more i learn, the more i realize that most of the body systems rely on pressure differentials to function... whether it be lower intrathoracic pressure differences, partial pressures of oxygen, cascading to gas exchange, starlings law and ejection fractions, blood pressures to perfuse vital organs...

when we lose these pressure differentials, we lose the ability to perfuse at the cellular level...

i'm sure there are others i haven't mentioned...

just looking for comments and additional perspective...

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, life can be, in part, defined from actively resisting equilibrium. Think about what most active processes do. Na/K ATPase actively alters the concentration of Na and K in the intracellular and extra cellular environments. Any sort of fluid movement (air entering/leaving the lungs, blood, etc) is due to pressure differences (mean of 90mm/Hg in the aorta vs 6mm/Hg in the vena cava). Life ends at equilibrium.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
the more i learn, the more i realize that most of the body systems rely on pressure differentials to function... whether it be lower intrathoracic pressure differences, partial pressures of oxygen, cascading to gas exchange, starlings law and ejection fractions, blood pressures to perfuse vital organs...

when we lose these pressure differentials, we lose the ability to perfuse at the cellular level...

i'm sure there are others i haven't mentioned...

just looking for comments and additional perspective...

thanks.

Welcome to medicine!

Seriously, the more you learn, the more you will understand the body is a complex machine, that operates as fine tune machine. Any disturbances or changes in homeostasis will cause an reaction. Albeit a compensation or decomposition where the body cannot regulate.

For example, majority of EMS providers do not truly understand shock pathophysiology. In fact if we did understand the deactivation of the pre & post capillary sphincters and baroreceptors that causes the activation of ADH so gradient pressures can be regulated by converting to angiotensin, angiotensin II, and by shifting or preserving fluids by diuresis.

Even when capillary pressures fall 15 to 24 percent, such as in shock, an auto-infusion can occur. Again, transcapillary fluid reabsorption (up to 1/ liter can be reabsorbed).

Again, as you discussed the more you learn the more you realize the need to learn more.

R/r 911

bonedog

Forum Lieutenant
I just want to meet the guy that invented the hypothalamus.

Oh wait, this might denegrate into a Creation vs science arguement.....

OP
OP
S

skyemt

Forum Captain
For example, majority of EMS providers do not truly understand shock pathophysiology. In fact if we did understand the deactivation of the pre & post capillary sphincters and baroreceptors that causes the activation of ADH so gradient pressures can be regulated by converting to angiotensin, angiotensin II, and by shifting or preserving fluids by diuresis.

Even when capillary pressures fall 15 to 24 percent, such as in shock, an auto-infusion can occur. Again, transcapillary fluid reabsorption (up to 1/ liter can be reabsorbed).

R/r 911

at the risk of starting an actual A/P discussion, can we please go into this some more...

thanks...