Practicing in Different States (MI and IL)

vanasme

Forum Ride Along
I'm currently and EMT-B student in Michigan and I will be finishing up my classes and clinicals right before I go back to school in Illinois (I'm just home for the summer - I go to college in Chicago). Anyways, I will take the National Registry test when I get back to Illinois - even though I will have completed all of my education in Michigan. I'm hoping to be able to work in Illinois and possibly (later down the line) in Michigan and I just don't know what different liscenses I will need. Lets say I take the National Registry test in Illinois and pass. Then do I apply to be liscenced in Illinois and then apply to be liscenced in Michigan? Will I have to do anything extra (like take any additional tests) so that I can be liscenced in both states? I guess I just want to know what the steps are to become liscenced in these different states once I've passed the National Registry exam. Thanks for your help!

m33kr0b

Forum Crew Member
Both Michigan and Illinois accept the NR for basic. For Michigan you can apply by national registry status and I would assume the same for Illinois. I would contact both states ems offices to confirm what is needed in your case.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Although you might be NREMT certified, each state has it's own certification or license requirement (even if it is a NREMT state). You need to contact each states EMS office to find their specific and license requirements and paperwork and fees.

R/r 911

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Although you might be NREMT certified, each state has it's own certification or license requirement (even if it is a NREMT state). You need to contact each states EMS office to find their specific and license requirements and paperwork and fees.

R/r 911
That is correct. I know that Michigan accepts the NREMT but has their own application process and requirements. They weren't quite willing to give up all of their control. I would assume it's the same thing in most states.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I went to Basic school in IL and have an EMT-B card in IL. I just applied for reciprocity based on my new NREMT-Intermediate credentials. I had to call the IDPH, ask for the EMS division and ask for the reciprocity paperwork to be sent to me. I just sent it in on Monday morning. It was 2 pages long and I made a copy of my NREMT-Intermediate card and sent it along.

OP
OP
V

vanasme

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all of the great help! I just want to double check - so I won't have to take any more testing in Illinois other than the National Registry even though I completed all of my education in Michigan? And even though I test in Illinois - this shouldn't be a problem getting liscenced in Michigan? I leave to go back to Chicago the day after I'm finished with everything in Michigan so I'm sure it'll be pretty crazy and I just want to make sure I don't miss anything. Thanks again for all of the help!

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I think you're on the ball. Call the IDPH, ask for EMS and tell them you need the reciprocity paperwork. Send it in, wait forever, there ya go.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
Since you have taken the tests in Michigan,and if you are licensed in this state,when you get back to illinois you are gonna have to test out the state of Illinois's medical licensing.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Since you have taken the tests in Michigan,and if you are licensed in this state,when you get back to illinois you are gonna have to test out the state of Illinois's medical licensing.

If you have an NREMT-Basic card, IL will give you an EMT-B card. No challenge test required.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
Oh ok Brad,I thought that you had to challenge another state's test to get a license in that state,my bad.