Passed my NREMT in California now what do I do?

speakxeasy

Forum Ride Along
I recently passed the nremt and am looking to start working in california but there are so many things I supposedly have to do. Can someone help me out with how to proceed no one has been available to help me and this site has helped me a great deal when looking for answers online in the past. Thanks :)

drl

Forum Lieutenant
1.- Go schedule your DL-51 physical exam with your physician and have them complete the entire form.
2.- Look up your particular county's certification requirements (all basically the same; it does not matter which county you get certified in unless the county you wish to work in has additional scope of practice requirements).
3.- Get your LiveScans done for the DMV and for the county ($$).
4.- Go buy a CA Ambulance Driver's Handbook (hardcopy only) from the DMV, flip through it, and get your Ambulance Driver Certificate.
5.- Get certified by your county.
6.- Start applying for jobs.

In the meantime, while you're waiting between each of those steps, go take online cert classes (which will likely be required sooner or later anyway) for AWR 160, ICS 100, ICS 200, NIMS 700, ICS 3, ...

It's a long process, but stick with it. Best of luck!

OP
OP
speakxeasy

speakxeasy

Forum Ride Along
1.- Go schedule your DL-51 physical exam with your physician and have them complete the entire form.
2.- Look up your particular county's certification requirements (all basically the same; it does not matter which county you get certified in unless the county you wish to work in has additional scope of practice requirements).
3.- Get your LiveScans done for the DMV and for the county ($$).
4.- Go buy a CA Ambulance Driver's Handbook (hardcopy only) from the DMV, flip through it, and get your *cant post links*
5.- Get certified by your county.
6.- Start applying for jobs.

In the meantime, while you're waiting between each of those steps, go take online cert classes (which will likely be required sooner or later anyway) for AWR 160, ICS 100, ICS 200, NIMS 700, ICS 3, ...

It's a long process, but stick with it. Best of luck!
You are a lifesaver *no pun intended* I will start tomorrow I set up all my appointments after reading thank you SO MUCH

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
You need 2 separate livescans, one for county and one for DMV. Go once, pay twice.

Get your DL51form from the DMV and bring it to your doc. While your at the DMV grab the ambulance book and read it a few times.

Visit your local EMSA.

TimRaven

Forum Crew Member
Print out Medical Cert from DOT website when you see the physicians. Some companies only accepts DOT version of forms.

DieselBolus

Forum Crew Member
I recently passed the nremt and am looking to start working in california but there are so many things I supposedly have to do. Can someone help me out with how to proceed no one has been available to help me and this site has helped me a great deal when looking for answers online in the past. Thanks :)

A good trick for the DL51 is to look up Qualified Medical Examiners in your area, or call a service and ask who does their preemployment physicals. Often you can get a same or next day appointment and its like $25 cash. I had a DC do mine, he was familiar with the form and breezed through it. Many primary care docs have never seen a DL51, and dependent on your insurance, the copay may be more.