Oral Glucose Contraindications

WiFi_Cowgirl

Forum Crew Member
What about the new liquid glucose spray that's available? Could we dip a cotton swab in it and rub it around in their mouth? Would it be any different than putting in an NPA w/ lubricant? We don't worry about them aspirating surgi-lube.

EeyoreEMT

Forum Crew Member
ABCs

Ok- When we insert an airway, it is to obtain patent airway, to which you don't have if you are inserting one. You shouldn't be using very much lube on the tube, plus it is water soluable, will be absorbed in the lungs if I'm not mistaken, unless the lungs are already full of fluid. If you have an patent airway, keep it that way, always fall back on your ABCs. ANYTHING by mouth to a pt who cannot swallow or an obstructed airway is a big no-no. If it becomes more critical or the trip to the ER is a ways away, D50 IM or IV, at least by our protocols, call for ALS backup, vs. the pt aspirating and you documenting giving the pt something po.

FireCPT11

Forum Ride Along
If it becomes more critical or the trip to the ER is a ways away, D50 IM or IV, at least by our protocols, call for ALS backup, vs. the pt aspirating and you documenting giving the pt something po.

D50 IM? I hope that it was meant that D50 would be given IV and Glucagon IM...Because I also wouldn't want to document my justification for thinking it was okay to cause severe tissue necrosis...:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

EeyoreEMT

Forum Crew Member
Sorry, my bad, was muti-tasking. Yes, D50 is by IV, never IM, My mistake sorry for the confusion. It just blows my mind, that we have had even a physician at a statcare give a semi-conscious pt an oral glucose tablet and left the room. The pt's level was low 40's, I looked at my partner, and had to grow balls and dig it out of her mouth in front of the doctor. She was not conscious enough to have anything po, well in our opinion, she was moaning and drooling, no comprehensive words.