Old Ambulance Photos

burntbob

Forum Probie
New photo site

Hi All
MY cornbinder site vanished when the provider packed it in....
I've posted most shots on photobucket and have new pics of an old 68 Van rig I found.

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/burntbob1/

If you can save an old ambulance it's worth it. Every time you drive it or have it out you turn heads and make people smile.

JimH

Forum Probie
Old Ambulances

>When I first started working in EMS the company I was with still ran a Caddy and a Pontiac<

In the late 70s I worked for a company that had a little of everything, among them a "55 International, two Pontiac high tops, and a low top, Two Superior Cadillac high tops, and a '66 S&S Low Top in great condition, and a '69 Ford Econoline conversion by Superior. not unlike the one in the photo.
The Cadillacs were OK to work in, especially if they had a bench, but the jump seat was not intended for patient care.
Same for the Pontiacs, only slightly narrower.
The low top Pontiac I have often questioned the origin of, it had no partition, and once, while checking the oil, I noted the red paint under the hood had blistered, and the paint underneath was black. Perhaps it had a past-
The Econoline was strange, it was an Ex-Schaefer's rig, and a very early van conversion. I believe it was a Superior rig.
I saw it again about 5 years after leaving the company- it was a surfer's van parked at Zuma Beach. Still had the bullet lights on 4 corners- I wonder if he removed the B&M siren ;)

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
Okay, I don't think anything gives me the willies like an old cadillac ambulance, I looked through these just to scare myself interesting HX though.

agreed im glad im an EMT in todays time and date. E450 box back for me thanks. (the international model is nice too)

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
why cant this(or any) thread JUST DIE!!!!

people leave them be! why pump a thread full of epi and shock the crap out of it so we can all look at it one last time and let it die again, just to be revived...

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
why cant this(or any) thread JUST DIE!!!!

people leave them be! why pump a thread full of epi and shock the crap out of it so we can all look at it one last time and let it die again, just to be revived...

Well, we can't do that to patients, so we might as well resuscitate the hell out of a dying thread. :)

njEMSchick

Forum Ride Along
We just call it the LaSalle. We keep it in the ambulance bay, but it occasionally takes rides for parades and other events around our town.

hockeypaul81

Forum Probie
WescueSquad.jpg

keith10247

Forum Lieutenant
Evening All,

Yesterday I attended the Winchester, VA Apple Blossom festival. I saw an ambulance that reminded me of this post. It was truly remarkable and in amazing shape. It even has a Lifepak 4 still inside of it!

Here is a picture of me standing officer side along with my driver.

main.php

Trailpatrol

Forum Crew Member
You had to be there

Okay, I don't think anything gives me the willies like an old cadillac ambulance, I looked through these just to scare myself interesting HX though.

It was not as bad as all that, really. (I am one of those grandfathers. My oldest is an RN.) I worked in Caddys and Pontiacs, but I loved Chevy Suburbans. Bit shorter, a bit wider, but -=FAST! Our suburban had a 454 with a 4-barrel Holley carburator in it. You almost had to turn off the engine to fill the tank. We took a critical patient from Claremore, OK, to OKC in 1 hour. It took two hours to get home.

Also, you could get it with real factory 4-wheel-drive rather than mess up the drivetrain with a modification package.

Picture of it on our training division homepage, http://www.emergicaretraining.org

Be safe,
Trailpatrol

Trailpatrol

Forum Crew Member
Funny?

You know it's funny. (Ironic) Back when the KKK-A-1822 standards first came out in the mid-'70s, EMTs and paramedics were all harping "You'll never get me to take a patient in one of those bread trucks/buck boards/delivery trucks." (Insert favorite nickname for a rough riding vehicle.) The posts on here are largely just the opposite. Funny how perspectives change.

Here is that Suburban I wrote about earlier:
Picture1.jpg

And here is a really, and I mean really cool rig from Ohio. Horton only made 10 of them and this guy has the only one still on the road.
horton_atm_00.jpg

horton_atm_04.jpg

Like Will Smith..."I got to get me one of these!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Staruk

Forum Ride Along
Used equipment

While I no longer own any ambulances, I do have a garage full of equipment.. Stretchers, gurneys, resuscitators, boxes, etc.. My father on the other hand, he owns 11 old vehicles, related to his field. Our family ran a funeral home, and along with it an ambulance service. They operated till the early 80's, and he still have the last vehicle that was in service. Quite an amazing collection of Cadillacs, Packards and Travel-All Ambulances. He still has a 77 Cadillac Hearse in service, as he is a full time funeral director. His interest in the ambulances comes from having been either an attendant since 1952, or a Paramedic since the early 70's. I'm sure if he could launch them into service, they would run as good as new....

I'm restoring a 1974 Miller-Meteor ambulance and I'd be interested in any used equipment (roof lights, cot fasterners, curtains, etc.) you're willing to sell me.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
One of my first ambulances I worked in was like that suburban. In fact I worked in two until the early 90's in one of the rural areas. One of the units was made into a Supervisor unit and the other remained a patient transport unit. I have to admit they were smooth riding, but definitely small and hard to perform ALS. In fact, we gave tPA in the field in one of those type of trucks.. wow! hard to imagine, that we were doing modified 12 leads, and still rode in suburbans...

R/r 911

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Evening All,

Yesterday I attended the Winchester, VA Apple Blossom festival. I saw an ambulance that reminded me of this post. It was truly remarkable and in amazing shape. It even has a Lifepak 4 still inside of it!

Here is a picture of me standing officer side along with my driver.

main.php
What a pretty ride! I would love to drive one of those puppies!:)

Last edited by a moderator:

JimH

Forum Probie
Old Ambulance Equipment

I'm restoring a 1974 Miller-Meteor ambulance and I'd be interested in any used equipment (roof lights, cot fasterners, curtains, etc.) you're willing to sell me.

The Professional Car website is a good place to find things like that-
http://www.professionalcar.org/
They have a good forum, and if they don't have something- they know who does.
Also things show up from time to time on Ebay- prices can be really good to ridiculous-

Trailpatrol

Forum Crew Member
Haha, is that a jeep?

Yep, it is. This is a truly unique emergency rescue vehicle, a 1982 AMC/Jeep Scrambler, Horton All Terrain Medic (ATM). It had never been sold and was in brand new condition.

The Horton ATM was designed by Carl Horton of The Horton Company in Columbus, Ohio. Research has revealed approximately ten of these fully functional mini-ambulances were built in 1981-1982. All ten were built as demonstrator units and eventually sold to rescue squads throughout the east coast and Georgia.

The Horton conversion was a little different in each unit, but primarily consists of removal of the front passenger seat; the installation of a stretcher platform or squad bench accommodating a Ferno 107-C stretcher/stair chair combo or a backboard, loaded feet first; the passenger seat was located rearward facing behind the driver allowing full access to a patient. A full cabinet wall was crafted on the curbside handling a full complement of medical supplies. Other storage included large item & backboard storage under the stretcher platform, oxygen storage in the street side rear area (2 "D" tanks), a 12 volt plug for Laerdal suction unit, and large compartments under the attendant seat, over the driver's head, and behind the driver's seat. Medical bags could be stored in the front passenger area.

There is a full complement of emergency lighting including a Federal #12 Twinsonic lightbar, 2 Weldon red sealed beam flashers on the front & rear and 2 Unity scene lights. A Federal Mini-Com siren and switching unit provided control of the Horton electrical system.

It is mostly a show car, but the onwe says he could use it for a backcountry access and evac, or at a disaster scene (like the tornadoes they seem to have in Ohio) if needed. It is kept fully stocked.