Okay so i have a really weird question. How to treat a heart murmur or how does one start?

huckleberry18

Forum Crew Member
I went on a ride along with my local FD and there EMT/Paramedics to see what type of stuff was in the feild. We had a call for a 18yr old male with chest pains we go there and we have no clue what it is until had told us about a heart murmur he recently had. We did not know how to treat him and we dont know how? Any suggestions? ☺o_O

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
You treat the murmer with a cardiologist!

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't understand how you can say you had "no clue"?

As unlikely as an 18-year-old is to have a primary cardiac cause did you do a 12 lead ECG to look for myocardial ischaemia? Did you auscultate to see if you could hear the murmur yourself?

Most murmurs such as MR or AR are completely benign, just like how half the population walks around with AF. In severe cases they may need valvulotomy especially if they have stenosis as well. Obviously if you can hear a very pronounced murmur you want to get them referred to their GP to have it followed up with an echocardiogram and review by the cardiologists however if somebody has a well tolerated, known murmur then that's of no real concern really.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I went on a ride along with my local FD and there EMT/Paramedics to see what type of stuff was in the feild. We had a call for a 18yr old male with chest pains we go there and we have no clue what it is until had told us about a heart murmur he recently had. We did not know how to treat him and we dont know how? Any suggestions? ☺o_O

Please tell me you are joking about the paramedic not knowing what to do...

OP
OP
huckleberry18

huckleberry18

Forum Crew Member
I don't understand how you can say you had "no clue"?

As unlikely as an 18-year-old is to have a primary cardiac cause did you do a 12 lead ECG to look for myocardial ischaemia? Did you auscultate to see if you could hear the murmur yourself?

Most murmurs such as MR or AR are completely benign, just like how half the population walks around with AF. In severe cases they may need valvulotomy especially if they have stenosis as well. Obviously if you can hear a very pronounced murmur you want to get them referred to their GP to have it followed up with an echocardiogram and review by the cardiologists however if somebody has a well tolerated, known murmur then that's of no real concern really.
Um well we had to get him to Hospital he had asmia and another condition as well not just the heart murmur

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
There is no way to answer this question. As others have said there are many different causes of murmurs. You have to find the cause before you know if you need to treat it or not. There is no way to do this in the field. In an 18y/o with no other history, it is probably a benign, congenital murmur.

OP
OP
huckleberry18

huckleberry18

Forum Crew Member
There is no way to answer this question. As others have said there are many different causes of murmurs. You have to find the cause before you know if you need to treat it or not. There is no way to do this in the field. In an 18y/o with no other history, it is probably a benign, congenital murmur.
Okay yes but they have had a history of heart murmur quite recently. I understand now thank you for the help

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
There is no field treatment for a murmur. Transport and treat symptoms.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Murmurs are caused by turbulant blood flow through a valve. It indicates a tight valve or a leaky valve. We don't treat heart murmurs, we treat the symptoms of heart murmurs.

Is his recent murmur involved with his chest pain? Hard to say with limited info you provided.

Look up hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.