O2 Usage in the field

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

Wow....I feel really stupid....all the PMs that have gone back and forth between Vent and myself and I never realized I was talking to a woman. :lol:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I think that she (Venty) will also point out that the amount of oxygen you give someone is based on their cardiopulmonary status including work of breathing. While blanket statements like 15 for everybody are wrong, it is also wrong to give everyone 2 LPM NC. Use sound clinical judgement incorporating the latest research. For example, a chest pain patient with severe dyspnea and low sats should probably get the good stuff by mask, while the uncomplicated chest pain will get the cannula. In the hospital, o2 administration will be guided by ABGs and the intelligence of intensivists and RRTs.

I think the issue here is understanding that diseases are not always one or the other. You can be hypoxic and having ACS at the same time. You can have CHF and a CVA at the same time. Just because a treatment might not be indicated (note sports fans: "not indicated" does not equal "contraindicated") by one condition does not mean that it isn't indicated by a separate condition.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Wow....I feel really stupid....all the PMs that have gone back and forth between Vent and myself and I never realized I was talking to a woman. :lol:

Now you know why she's always right...;)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Now you know why she's always right...;)
....other than the fact that's she's the smartest RT I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.