NYS vs NYC protocols, which one should I remember?

Cavalligirl

Forum Ride Along
New EMT here (as if that wasn't obvious by the title :rolleyes:)

I live in NYC and I'm having a little trouble figuring out which of the protocols to remember.

NYS AMS protocols states that I can give a pediatric patient Naloxine at 0.5mg per nostrils, however this is a contraindication for NYC protocols. In cases such as this, am I right to assume that I will follow the NYC protocol?

In regards to the same AMS protocol, NYS protocol specifies that "humidified O2" is preferred for pediatric patients while NYC doesn't specify. In cases such as this (whenever NYC doesn't specify) is it safe to include or adopt the NYS protocol into my treatment plan?

Hope that wasn't too confusing!:eek:

Thanks in advance!:D

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
If you're working in NYC, use NYC protocols, and do not use NYS protocols. If you're working in another area/county, use their protocols, and no one else's. Entirely based on where you're working.

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
Memorize NYC... That being said, be familiar with the statewide as well, because they are technically valid statewide however your local protocols come first. That way though, if you ever find yourself in a jam, you can at least fall back on the NYS and not be REALLY wrong (might catch a little talking to, but won't lose your card).