Newbie, maybe a newbie question :)

jayc67

Forum Ride Along
Hi all,

I am taking some classes at college and I can get some credits for an EMT-B class so I think I will take it mostly because it's something I've always been interested in.

Now clearly I'm not going to have anything other than some book knowledge and I may not even take the state test (not sure if I need to for the credit) so I know I won't really know much more than I do now :)

My question is though, at what point does "first aid" stop and "BLS" begin?

I mean, where can a passerby with some minimum training actually help in the event of a car accident or other "event" other than to call 9-1-1.

I tend to spend a lot of time in more remote wilderness areas too and I have seen plenty of accidents where some basic first aid would be a comfort, but what's the line in the sand between being helpful and actually "practicing medicine"?

Thanks for the help, I've read a lot here on this site, interesting stuff.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
First, welcome to the site.

Since you admitted you may not even take the State test, and really doubtful that you would enter the profession, I highly suggest you take a Medical First Responder Course, rather any EMT courses. Unless you take the State or National Exam, you will be nothing.

This course is similar to first aid, but addresses what to do until EMS arrives. As well to use the equipment one has, and to assist the EMT.

Unless, one is associated with an EMS/Rescue service, off duty everyone provides first aid or first responder care.... no matter what level one is.

As well, you will not be learning needless stuff that you will not be exposed to on a daily basis.

Good luck!

R/r 911

OP
OP
J

jayc67

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the info. I did some more digging and find that

a) I have to obtain state certification to pass the class at my school and
b) they don't offer the First Responder course

So, I guess I will forge on ahead with certification, maybe I can find a place somewhere; CERT or something who knows, there isn't much call for volunteering around my area.

So I guess the question still stands, but I suppose the answer will come in the Legal portion of the course.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
there isn't must difference is you will know what the ambulance crew will need before they get there.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
If you spend time in the backcountry you might also look into Wilderness First Aid.

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
Your Q on where dose 1st aid stop, and BLS begin;

1st aid is what we (or anyone anywhere), do prior to the arrival of a EMS system unit(fire dept, (could be BLS or ALS), 1st Responder group, BLS ambulance, ALS ambulance). They will then take control of the scene, and may very well use you to assist them.

The knowledge you get from EMT class is something nobody can take from you. Even if you never certify, you will be a more knowledgeable person.
the Good Samaritan Law is in place for those who, Do what they are able to do to save a life, You could be judged by what is called "a reasonable man"
or in other words what would a reasonable man have done. That is "if something goes South".