Nervousness

thowle

Forum Crew Member
I have the feeling that upon my first (actual post-class) patient contact where I am the only one providing care, I am going to be very nervous. I suppose that is normal, and will work its way out, but;

I have a good feeling that when I start my patient care, I will second guess myself too much with my interventions, thinking along the lines of "what if when EMS / additional support arrives, I am doing or have done something totally wrong". Not to mention the pressure possibly present of others watching you.

I do feel confident in my ability to perform what I was taught, and to improvise quiet well -- it's just the fact of "nervousness" getting in the way.

Of course, being on the fire department I have had plenty of patient contacts, plus the contact with the ride-alongs during class -- but when it comes down to myself being the only on-scene EMT, and there being a large crowd -- I beleive nervousness might "get the best of me". But then again, I don't know.

The Point ...
I am wondering what it was like for you on your first patient contact where you were the only on-scene EMT (if this has happend), and if there was a large crowd.

What it felt like for you to be providing patient care around a large crowd, with nervousness present -- what did you feel? how did you coupe? what did you do?

Thanks

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The feelings is normal. You will develop confidence with time and experience. I will say, it is normal to have that questionable uneasy feeling when getting toned out... I still get it, each and every time, still 30 years later. I believe this makes me more sensitive and cautious...

Good luck !

R/r 911

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Was that before or after I lost bowel and bladdar control, retched, fainted and seized? ;-)

You'll go through everything you stated and more, but what you'll find is that they happen as MOMENTS.

Moments are powerful things and you can be powerful in them. How? By letting them pass and not holding on to them. You will have that nausea come over you and when you lock into thinking it will get worse and won't pass, well, that's exactly what happens. But when you recognize it as a moment leading to another one, which will be different, it will pass.

Lookit what you said on your post: "I do feel confident in my ability to perform what I was taught, and to improvise quiet well -- it's just the fact of "nervousness" getting in the way." In one moment, you're confident, the next, nervous.

Keep doing what you're doing; remind yourself you have prepared first. Going in to the call or situation reflect for a second on the preparation you have done, let the feeling of insecurity come if it must, remember it's just a feeling (and they pass quick if you don't hold on to them!) and remind yourself again.

EMTryan

Forum Crew Member
What great advice! Next time I get the nerves I will remember your advice firetender.B)

I am a new EMT-B but I have already been in quite a few situations where I am the highest medically trained person and no one else is around to help. I volunteer with the Red Cross to staff local first aid stations at community events. I also work as a medical responder for the first aid team at a major university during football seasons. This past football season I remember that for one game I was stationed alone at one of the slow First Aid stations where 'nothing ever happens'. I usually work with a partner so this was a bit unusual. As luck would have it I was called to an emergency. It wasn't very serious but it was still wierd being in a packed stadium surrounded by lots of people watching your every move and not having a partner to help.:wacko:

Situations like this are great experience because they force you to take charge and trust your training. This can be really scary for a new EMT-B...it's good to know to know that it something most everyone can relate to!

OP
OP
thowle

thowle

Forum Crew Member
Very good advice FireTender, thank you.

Same for the advice given by Ridryer911, thank you as well.

I suppose just remaining calm, stepping back and taking a few breaths will help a whole lot, and do wonders. It's by NO means about "making a show", and "proving yourself". It's about going in with a clear head, concentrating on patient care, and getting out with a clear head ready for the next call.

skyemt

Forum Captain
this is the very reason so many out here stress education and training...
when you get nervous... if you have a solid base of training to fall back on, it is very comforting... i remember many times, just thinking "ok, do what i'm trained to do, the way i know how to do it"... i've found that very, very helpful.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
That's why we drill so much. Your assessment needs to be so solid that you can rely on the skill when your brain is doing a tail spin. I was telling a class the other night during a review of a baby not breathing call, You have that voice screaming in the back of your head "Omigodomigodomigod" but you have to choose not to listen to that, and to simply run your skills.

It surprised me how many of the students came up to me afterwards and said they were surprised that I knew of the 'omigod' voice because I was always so calm on scene.

You will get less nervous once you have been through calls and both you and the patient have survived. But there will always be what we call the 'high sphincter factor' calls. It's because we know sometimes doing everything right can't help.

mikie

Forum Lurker
wow, this is some great advice

I remember my first pt. 'contact,' small lac on wrist, bleeding was controlled on their own, I was RACING to open the kling roll when it really wasn't that eminent...it took me a while to open it up, shaky hands that time!

thanks!

iamjeff171

Forum Crew Member
i remember on my first call the medic wanted to put the pt. on a NC, and that thing was the most complicated device on the face of the planet for about 5 seconds (felt like at least 10 minutes tho :rolleyes:) I just had to take a breath and think of putting it on the dummy and all was good.

-Jeff

emtangie850

Forum Crew Member
Everyone I feel in this field has some type of nervousness towards certian calls. I know that for myself my heart gets beating for MVA's. On the way to the call I am running all of the possibilities through my mind of the worst case seniaro. Then from there I review in my head what i'm going to do, what i'm going to ask and so on.

Usually when I get on scene it flows pretty quickly (because it is fresh in the back of your mind).

Try to block everyone out. Unless they have useful information for you ask them to back off! (Tell em' to give you space). Or if it is a call with a child and the parents are hovering, give them something to do. Have them speak with your partner and get their information. It will get them off of your back!

Don't worry you will get the hang of it!! Practice, Practice, Practice!!

-Angie

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
Your nerves will be usefull it will keep you on your toes. Most times for me when it is a really bad call the training comes through with out a lot of thinking. It is more reaction than thinking. Good luck and hang in there.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
It is that "healthy bit" of nervousness that will always keep you on you toes to look at the whole big picture and not get tunnel vision. My mother is a retired registered nurse, the advice she gave to me was this; "Always have a little healthy fear for your job, it teaches the respect for your profession." Education, drills and inservices are all part of becoimg and staying proficent. In this profession, there is always something new to learn! :)

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
It is that "healthy bit" of nervousness that will always keep you on you toes to look at the whole big picture and not get tunnel vision. My mother is a retired registered nurse, the advice she gave to me was this; "Always have a little healthy fear for your job, it teaches the respect for your profession." Education, drills and inservices are all part of becoimg and staying proficent. In this profession, there is always something new to learn! :)

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry about that, double post! :blush:

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Dune, Frank Herbert

I was reminded of this by a post on SDN that quoted it, actually.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
It is a sad and glorious fact in this profession and all of life that what is experience ten years from now seems like failure today.

EMTBandit

Forum Lieutenant
A little bit of fear will make you a better EMT, too much and it will paralyze you. I haven't been doing this for too long, in my 4th year now of being an EMT. But in that time I have learned a lot from listening to my senior guys/gals. If you have trouble with something, ask them to do it for you, and than talk about it after the call. Have them go over with you what you were having trouble with. I never mind helping the newer people with something and actually kind of enjoy it, because I am able to help someone who was once just like me. Im not going to say your not going to make mistakes, you will. Everyone makes mistakes every once in awhile. Theres two ways you can handle it, you can dwell on it, or use it to your advantage and learn from it. I still make some minor boo boos every once in awhile lol. :blush: I have learned alot from my senior people and am still learning, and I've learned a lot from the medics that ride with us. How to help out with EKG's to assisting them doing other various things and just helpful advice they pass along. As long as you show an interest and a desire to learn, you'll be just fine. B) And always wear your gloves, you never know. There were occasions where I wish I was wearing them at the time instead of rushing to put them on when I got there, always put them on, on the way to the call if you can, and keep an extra pair in your pocket. Sorry for the lengthy post but I hope it helps. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
Lengthy posts are great. And awesome advice from everyone.

I remeber my instructor was talking about the nervousness behind being first on scene and what not. "Just remeber breathe, and start with ABCs" I did that all through my practicals and written and I did very well.

I think its because as soon as I got the ABC assessments and treatments out of the way I would remeber, Hey all the other injuries that I find are secondary, I already took care of the majoy stuff.

Of course by ABCs I dont mean ABCs only. But its always where I remebered to start, of course after SCENE SAFTEY, BSI!

I am actually very surprised with myself, I am very calm and relaxed when toned out. I always have that nervousness of course but I have the list in my head of what needs to be done.

Once again great advice you guys, THANKS ^_^

cfrench

Forum Crew Member
take your time, remember to breath. Alot of your calm can or be lost on your response. Remember, IT IS NOT YOUR EMERGENCY (sorry to shout, just going for emphesis). I remember what the handshaking is like all to well. I used to try and hide it from the my partners back then. I like to see a healthy bit of fear in new people, it keeps you carefull. You know, you know how to do the job. Breath and forget about the people around you, they will never know if you did it right or not :)

Good luck out there, it does get easier (and still stays fun).