LACo EMT Scope: Pulse Oximetry Added

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I just reviews my scope of practice and it now included pulse oximitry for emt basics.

Ive never seen it on there before and the policy revision date is 12-01-13.

I have to say, I'm glad its finally in our scope. It made a rather silent entry unless it was added before and I wasnt aware.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I just reviews my scope of practice and it now included pulse oximitry for emt basics.

Ive never seen it on there before and the policy revision date is 12-01-13.

I have to say, I'm glad its finally in our scope. It made a rather silent entry unless it was added before and I wasnt aware.

It's there, but if it's not a required equipment then you won't be seeing it on the units.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Kind of a ridiculous thing to have to add....especially if you are administering O2.

OP
OP
NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Kind of a ridiculous thing to have to add....especially if you are administering O2.

Maybe next year we can work on getting blood glucose testing. :wacko:

But I agree, which is why I am glad to finally see it.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Shoot I'd be happy if they'd just add AEDs to the required inventory.

(Although how many of the MaxxTransLifeCareAidPro services would actually be able to afford them?)

OP
OP
NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief

(Although how many of the MaxxTransLifeCareAidPro services would actually be able to afford them?)

Two birds one stone, my friend.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
Hmmm after taking a look at the LA County EMT Scope of practice document I think they snuck another addition in there...

G. Administer the following over the counter medications:
1. Oral glucose or sugar
2. Aspirin – for adults with suspected myocardial chest pain
Looks like they added Aspirin...unless I missed the memo the first time around.

http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/policies/Ref800/802.pdf (Page 4)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

Two birds one stone, my friend.

This.

If they become required the services will find a way to afford them.

smhee

Forum Ride Along
My company could afford them but our owner is too cheep to buy them what company you guys at? Assuming you are all laco that is

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
You can tell the ambulance with the AED. It stops every two minutes.
:cool:

OK, now they have to train and document knowledge of users of the pulse ox. WHEN to use it is pretty easy (any time you want), but acting on the readings is another thing. "We were all staring at the pulse ox and didn't see the pt's eye roll up and lips turn blue…". Clip it on yourself, take a few deep breaths, an tell me why the pulse changes and the ox reading can actually dip for a bit.

And are they going to keep you stocked in disposable probes, or replace them as they get dirty or damaged?

PS: hope they're locked into the vehicles, very pilfer able .

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
All those small LA County companies will be able to afford AEDs. It just means the owner does not get his 2nd boat, private jet, or a 3rd BMW for another year or so.

OP
OP
NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Was this added in the revision that was done? From what I understood the revision was only Medics.

As of Dec 1, 2013 the EMT scope was updated to include pulse ox, CPAP (under approved providers) and Aspirin administration (not assistance). However the policy does not specify when, how, dosage or anything like that for anything that was added. It literally just says "asprin - for suspected mi"

dmawhorter

Forum Ride Along
As of Dec 1, 2013 the EMT scope was updated to include pulse ox, CPAP (under approved providers) and Aspirin administration (not assistance). However the policy does not specify when, how, dosage or anything like that for anything that was added. It literally just says "asprin - for suspected mi"

Thanks!!

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant

Or you can just go work for an laco provider who sticks them in every rig, by choice.^_^

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

Wait...an AED is not required on an ambulance? You must be joking or referring to wheelchair vans or something...if not yikes.

If it weren't for the "unfunded mandate", EMT level ambulances would be required to carry 12-Lead capable monitors in NC! Right now it is optional, and grants were available in the last few years to equip every 911 unit with one.