Jugular distension

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Yea definitely! So is you primary concern, circulation or the air in pleural space?
My thoughts are, fix the air pressure, and the heart will find itself back where it should be. Is that incorrect?
That's exactly correct. It's impressive how fast they experience relief after relieving the pressure. As a basic though, what can/will you do? And even better, how much will it help?

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Yea definitely! So is you primary concern, circulation or the air in pleural space?
My thoughts are, fix the air pressure, and the heart will find itself back where it should be. Is that incorrect?
That's correct. A lot of what is done as definitive treatment is fixing the underlying problem which in this case is removing the air from where it's not supposed to be. Most EMS treatments involve alleviating symptoms, but some cases we can actually provide a definitive treatment, this case we are only able to temporarily alleviate the underlying cause as a chest tube is a more definitive treatment for the tension pneumothorax that you described in your scenario.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm really liking this thread, it could easily have petered out after a couple of replies saying "Read your damn book", instead we have a great mini lesson for all to read up on pneumos :)

OP
OP
Austin carawan

Austin carawan

Forum Crew Member
I'm really liking this thread, it could easily have petered out after a couple of replies saying "Read your damn book", instead we have a great mini lesson for all to read up on pneumos :)
Haha I knew it should have been simple, but the book didn't provide a definitive answer, neither did the instructor, thank you for your patience tho

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Haha I knew it should have been simple, but the book didn't provide a definitive answer, neither did the instructor, thank you for your patience tho
Congratulations, you're learning that sometimes even when you read the book it doesn't give you everything that you need to understand the answer. You can always ask us questions here, but expect us to first see what you know, and we can help guide you to understanding. Using the Internet to search for additional information is also helpful too. A good A and P book will also help with a foundation of knowledge on the body which will make understanding a lot of what we do easier.