Is PASG for Basic Shock Treament used anymore?

DSDMedic

Forum Ride Along
On MAST, I'd be very curious if there's any research on their use as a pelvic splint -- especially in contrast to a sheet or a SAM pelvic sling.

I can't speak to research specifically, but by the time I left the field that was what we were using them for more often than anything else. Anecdotally at least they seemed to make effective pelvic splints, and were better for our long transport times than messing with sheets.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I can't speak to research specifically, but by the time I left the field that was what we were using them for more often than anything else. Anecdotally at least they seemed to make effective pelvic splints, and were better for our long transport times than messing with sheets.
Seems reasonable to me. I guess anything that would provide more uniform, consistent circumfirential pressure than a sheet is an improvement.
Then again, I've never seen a true pelvic fracture, myself, just played with sheets and SAM pelvic slings.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Seems reasonable to me. I guess anything that would provide more uniform, consistent circumfirential pressure than a sheet is an improvement.
Then again, I've never seen a true pelvic fracture, myself, just played with sheets and SAM pelvic slings.
Sheets suck. I'm told a KED is an effective solution (upside down).

Summit

Critical Crazy
Sheets suck. I'm told a KED is an effective solution (upside down).
I trained on this solution as a better choice than a sheet. Now we have the SAM solution.

sack jears

Forum Crew Member
We were taught application of them in our basic class, although the instructor wouldn't alllow us to inflate them on our peers in fear it would break clots in our legs and trigger a pulmonary embolism

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Incidentally I just went downstairs and we now have SAM pelvic binders that were somehow donated to us in great quantity. Sweet.
I'm quite jealous! I've trained on the SAMs, and they are easy to use.

vc85

Forum Crew Member
Theoretically they are still in protocol for us. But it's a "if the planets align and you spin around three times maybe you will be allowed to use them protocol". I know the BP needs to be extremely low like below 80/50 as one of the criteria

Our EMT instructor though believed they should be back in protocol and insists they were taken out because of one doctor in Texas who had some sort of personal vendetta against MAST trousers and admitted to doing bad research

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
We were taught application of them in our basic class, although the instructor wouldn't alllow us to inflate them on our peers in fear it would break clots in our legs and trigger a pulmonary embolism
Your instructor is ignorant of the facts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
MAST trousers work. I know, I used them a lot. In a galaxy, far, far away.

sack jears

Forum Crew Member
Your instructor is ignorant of the facts.

My instructor is the most benificial person in my ems career and a fantastic medic and I most likely misinterpreted what he said. I'm probably the one ignorant of the facts but I won't have anyone talk down about that man

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
My instructor is the most benificial person in my ems career and a fantastic medic and I most likely misinterpreted what he said. I'm probably the one ignorant of the facts but I won't have anyone talk down about that man
Wait until you have had a few instructors, you will really start to see who the quality ones are. There are a lot of instructors in EMT and paramedic schools that sound great until you get exposed to truly great ones. I've had the pleasure of both ends of the spectrum and once you've seen the two ends you really appreciate the knowledgeable ones.

sack jears

Forum Crew Member
Wait until you have had a few instructors, you will really start to see who the quality ones are. There are a lot of instructors in EMT and paramedic schools that sound great until you get exposed to truly great ones. I've had the pleasure of both ends of the spectrum and once you've seen the two ends you really appreciate the knowledgeable ones.
Fair enough