Is PASG for Basic Shock Treament used anymore?

Dutchieee

Stretcher Guy
During my classes. We only discussed the use of the PASG. And we never really went over using it.
or seeing it for that matter. I even get practice questions on it. (Still looking to know about it because well, you never really know.)

So as the question states, is it still used today in some states/counties?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Nope. They've fallen out of favor. But, like many things in EMS, give it time and they'll be back in vogue.

Although, I think Rhode Island still has them on the truck, along with EOAs.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
I believe Polk County, FL still have them as well...but not used anymore.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I believe Polk County, FL still have them as well...but not used anymore.
That's odd for a system like them. I know winter haven took them off a couple years ago

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
They may well have done, I remember them on the trucks though (albeit a while ago admittedly).

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
During my classes. We only discussed the use of the PASG. And we never really went over using it.
or seeing it for that matter. I even get practice questions on it. (Still looking to know about it because well, you never really know.)

So as the question states, is it still used today in some states/counties?

We carry them in Connecticut, but they're not in use...

The evidence in favor of use of the MAST/PASG was pretty weak to begin with (see this study). It was thought that the inflated pants would "autotransfuse" blood from the lower extremities to the head and torso (among a handful of other beneficial effects, some of which are...debatably valid, like applying pressure to otherwise uncontrolled hemorrhage in the lower extremities or acting as a binder for a pelvic fracture). On the other hand, evidence is weak that this actually occurred: Cochrane Reviews showed increased incidence of adverse outcomes, and the NAEMSP review of the literature from 1997 showed (mainly) negative impact of use. Plus, it never really did "autotransfuse" the promised amount of blood...something like 300ml in the average 80kg adult male versus promised 1000ml.

Another fun quote: "[N]o clinical trials had ever proven its effectiveness in saving lives. Empirically, it made sense to use the PASG, but subsequent prospective controlled trials not only disproved the ability of the PASG to save lives, but also suggested the devices were actually detrimental."

To wrap up, I'll leave the overview to the good Dr. Bledsoe:

"MAST are a relic of our past and belong in EMS museums, not on modern ambulances or rescue vehicles."

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Just as an aside I started with a BLS IFT company a couple of weeks ago, MAST is still on the PCS (paper one) although we don't carry it

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
When I started here two years ago we still had them on the ambulances. Not for use, but to use the box for trendelenburg, which also has little evidence for (especially considering EMS practical limitations). One day I made them go away, no one has mentioned it.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Ive never seen them out here in the 3 years I've been a EMT. We only talked about them in school and never used them, if I saw one I highly doubt I would be able to use if effectively.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Pierce county Washington still has them.

over seijasw

Forum Ride Along
When I was in Emt school my instructor ways told us to know it in and out because u can get it as a question... But we don't use them. But always good to know it

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Without trying to start a firestorm, here goes: In the '80's (yes, prehistoric EMS era), MAST was taught, carried and used. I personally used them three times with two trauma victims and one victim suspected of a ruptured/rupturing abdominal aneurysm. In all three cases, after 1-2L of Ringers, and no real improvement in vitals/perfusion, the trousers were applied and vitals/perfusion improved significantly. Why did we use them? Mainly due to a long transport time in addition to the IV. For those that want to jump and say that this is not evidenced-based,, you are correct- it's anecdotal.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I was always under the impression that they really only show a benefit in long distance ground transports to trauma centers. So for like me, the trauma center is in my town, and MAST doesnt make sense. Few spots in NJ really have long transports. Though i have used it on an pelvic fracture, just the upper part. Seemed to provide some pain relief to the patient.

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
NY still touches on it in class, and then says don't use them. That being said, there is a region or two where the vollies still carry them, though I have a feeling that will change with the new state wide collaborative protocols.

DSDMedic

Forum Ride Along
I can tell you that they're outside of scope for everyone (including medics) in Georgia now. We covered them in class, very briefly, but I don't think a single student from my current Basic class would have a clue about how to apply them. I originally did my EMT in CO in the late 90's, before leaving the field and letting my certs go (stupid me!), and we learned them then and actively used them due to long transport times.

And I just realized that this is a 10-month old thread. Woops. Teach me to post when tired.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Yep, it's an old post but that's ok. I'll jump on board with this: PASG/MAST work. I used them a lot in the past.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Summit

Critical Crazy
Discussed in class on 04 and even had on the bus but no protocol or thought of use

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Finally took them out of the bus in CT!

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I took my EMT way back when in CT. (At the Coventry fire house, thank you very much) We trained on MAST and used em a couple of times.
It's crazy how backwards CT is.
We still maintain -- effectively -- IV-only "A"EMTs...for example.

Then again, no more backboards...so, that's something.

On MAST, I'd be very curious if there's any research on their use as a pelvic splint -- especially in contrast to a sheet or a SAM pelvic sling.