I want to be an EMT. Advice?

eging1451

Forum Probie
I'm 18 years old from a suburb of Milwaukee, WI. On March 31st, I will have my CPR/AED training and then I will be able to register for EMT-B classes. Does anyone have any advice for me going into this?

slawson

Forum Crew Member
wow.. excellant suggestion! never heard that before..

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Advice... go to college (preferably one with an EMS program), get you basics such as algebra, psych, anatomy I & II, Physiology, English composition and literature. Meanwhile, talk to your college counselor, they might get in touch with a EMS advisor whom can allow you to do ride along. After talking into detail of the good and the bad.. then after this is done, apply to a EMT course. You will find Basic EMT class a breeze after completing some general science classes.

The reason is multiple, At the age 18; most services will not hire you due to the required age level for insurance companies. After your exposure to EMS & detailed interviews about EMS, I suggest going straight through from EMT to Medic. That is if you want to have decent pay and a job. Many might suggest working as an EMT for years, and that is nice, but it is too difficult to find EMT jobs. As well when you are completed as a medic, you will be treating patients in more in-depth, have a job/position, higher seniority, and much higher pay and job security.

If you do not so happen to like EMS, then nothing is lost... you will have some education for another career.

Good luck in your career!

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Well. Are there any volunteer agencies nearby? Start riding for them. Get experience. Check out volunteer programs at a local hospital. See if you can volunteer in the Emergency Department. Experience is most important thing.

Take classes in related stuff. First Aid is a good start. Anatomy and Physiology I & II are a must. Medical terminology is a must. Chemistry, Biology, Organic Chemistry, Micro Biology and Psycholgy are all good to know but not necessary.

If you can not find a paramedic program, get into an RN program.

OP
OP
E

eging1451

Forum Probie
Well... I am going to college already as a psychology major. I want to be a therapist. I was planning on just being a volunteer EMT.

Thanks for the advice, though. Closed mouth, open mind. :)

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I like therapist idea.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I became an EMT-B during the summer of my first year of college. Most community colleges will offer a summer EMT-B academy of sorts.

These days EMT-Bs and Psychology majors are a dime a dozen, so you may want to double major. :)

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
I was planning on just being a volunteer EMT.

Volunteerism is the American ems system's roots, as well as it's backbone eging1451

it has also served many as a stepping stone into various avenues of health care carears

anyone can do it too

~S~

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
+1 for the volunteers

OP
OP
E

eging1451

Forum Probie
I talked to the Lt of the local fire department. He said I have to fill out an application but I'm going to get in for sure because he's going to put in a word for me. :rolleyes:

The department will pay for all schooling. I'll be a "trainee" for a year before I become a full-fledged member of the department. :D

mrdell4150

Forum Crew Member
Thats good. That's usually how it works, your a probitionary member for a year then become a full on riding member.

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
I talked to the Lt of the local fire department. He said I have to fill out an application but I'm going to get in for sure because he's going to put in a word for me. :rolleyes:

The department will pay for all schooling. I'll be a "trainee" for a year before I become a full-fledged member of the department. :D

Awesome! Three tips that I hope you'll find useful:

1) All of the EMTs and ALS Providers know what you're going through. They do sympathize and they are willing to help you. One paramedic at my agency literally refused to let me in the building until I took a complete set of vital signs on her. Another EMT spent a full hour going through every single piece of equipment on the ambulance and explaining it to me.

2) There are no stupid questions. You will not learn if you don't ask. What we do is important, and you need to know how to do it.

3) Run as many calls as possible. Don't overreach and burn yourself out, but I honestly believe that part of the reason that I'm a good EMT is that I already had a few dozen calls under my belt on the first day of EMT class, and that I continued to run through EMT class. Most of my classmates didn’t start running until we needed the clinical time for class, and then they just did the required minimum.

Good luck!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
2) There are no stupid questions. You will not learn if you don't ask.

Every department has at least one member who loves to talk and explain about everything Make them your new best friend. When you see something happen that you don't understand... ask why treatment went the way it did. Probably not best to do on scene but make notes and ask on the way back to station.

Also, get some photocopies of blank MIRs (Medical Incident Reports) Practice writing them on every call, even those calls you weren't on. You can leave off the name and personal info to be HIPPA compliant but you can practice writing down what you see and what was done.

emtd29

Forum Lieutenant
The only stupid question out there is the one that is not asked.

Just remember that and you'll do fine...

Last edited by a moderator: