How many calls do you get typically in a shift...

Zimmermann4588

Forum Ride Along
For my crew its random; we go from no calls in a week, to never getting back to the squad house from having multiple back to back calls.

Sunburn

Forum Crew Member
I work in a tourist hotspot So out of season we get from nil to 5-6 a day. But then the summer comes and we get 12-13 per 12 h shift, and our station exam room gets swamped with 50-60 patients per shift.

We just got statistics from HQ. Last year we had around 1200 interventions and 3500 exam room patients.

samsbgm

Forum Probie
Howdy,

I'm employed in New Jersey, which uses the tier 2 system of EMT-B's getting both the life threats, and the not so life threats. When a life threat is dispatched, so is ALS, and we assist accordingly, frequently applying the EKG bits, blood pressure cuff, exc. Along with doing the obvious transporting.

I've come to understand that NJ is *** backwards when it comes to EMS, and am curious to those of you who run 911-EMS as EMT-B's, how many calls a shift do you get? Is your state a 2-tier system?

In a typical shift, I run 8-10 calls, 12 hour shifts.

I've only been doing this about a year and a half. I was incredibly fortunate that I went directly into 911 EMS right out of EMT school, so I'm still getting a feel for it, but yeah, I got thinking about the above.
We run 10-18 calls in a 12 hour shift. We either run double medic rigs or one emt one medic. Every rig is required to be als.