How about that

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like justifying use of L&S in an unjustifiable situation. I wonder what else is going on..?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
really? so they go lights and sirens from one street corner to sit on another street corner? or from one station to another station?

This can’t be, right? Gotta be some sort of infraction.
Yes, this was a real thing. It was RLS for EVERYTHING. When that happened, the system was running so low in availability, the system required all ambulances to respond, transport, and do post moves all RLS just to minimize the time that the system had NO available units. They were acutely aware of the additional risks imposed with this. I have only heard of this being done a handful of times over 20-ish years in that particular system. The system provider (at the time) probably had larger fines for unavailability than they would have gotten for having all their units zip around RLS. This was back when I was doing BLS only and wasn't working for a primary 911 provider. The day I'm recalling, most non-system units were also extremely busy doing 911 as well as they got pulled into the system too. IIRC I did 2-3 system calls that day. Back then, it was maybe 1-2 system call per week. To put things mildly, it was basically a local system disaster from an extremely unusually heavy demand surge.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like justifying use of L&S in an unjustifiable situation. I wonder what else is going on..?
Something that rhymes with medishmare schmaud
Yes, this was a real thing. It was RLS for EVERYTHING. When that happened, the system was running so low in availability, the system required all ambulances to respond, transport, and do post moves all RLS just to minimize the time that the system had NO available units. They were acutely aware of the additional risks imposed with this. I have only heard of this being done a handful of times over 20-ish years in that particular system. The system provider (at the time) probably had larger fines for unavailability than they would have gotten for having all their units zip around RLS. This was back when I was doing BLS only and wasn't working for a primary 911 provider. The day I'm recalling, most non-system units were also extremely busy doing 911 as well as they got pulled into the system too. IIRC I did 2-3 system calls that day. Back then, it was maybe 1-2 system call per week. To put things mildly, it was basically a local system disaster from an extremely unusually heavy demand surge.
Feels like litigation waiting to happen!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Feels like litigation waiting to happen!
yes. given that it's been nearly 20 years and that I've not heard of any litigation... I'm kind of surprised about that.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
yes. given that it's been nearly 20 years and that I've not heard of any litigation... I'm kind of surprised about that.
All it would take is a mediocre line of questioning. “So I see you were driving lights and sirens?” “Yes, per agency policy.” “I see, and what were you trying to save time to do?”