Help for a Pre-med EMS hopeful?

brahms0788

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone! I'm entering a college next year in Connecticut that offers an EMT-B class that I hope to take. I have always wanted to be involved in emergency services and am also pre-med and in need of some medical experience before applications.
My entire home county in North Carolina is under an ALS system that won't hire EMT-B's and the local volunteer departments all want firefighters. There is a nearby volunteer service at school that'll hire Basics, but my schedule will be rigorous and I'm not sure how much I can do during the school year. I have yet to find a paramedic course that I can take over a summer and seem to be at a loss for a way to actually help out; six months is definitely out of the question. It's possible that I could work for the one transport service in my county that'll hire anyone under 23, but I really want to take 911 calls. The ALS service in my county has a monopoly on all other venues like sporting events, etc.
I'd appreciate any advice that you guys might have for me, especially those of you who've balanced a rigorous pre-med load and EMS work at the same time.
Thanks in advance!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife!

Have you started college yet?

You won't find a Paramedic course that just takes place in the summer, as most courses are a minimum of four semesters long.

I don't understand what is so rigorous about a pre-med load. I have friends that were pre-med, and while it sounds as impressive as pre-law, it doesn't mean all that much as an undergrad. The MCAT will require some significant study time, but beyond that you're college experience will be very similar to that of your classmates.

I just recently moved to North Carolina, and I'm confident that you'd be able to find a BLS service within driving distance that responds to 911 calls. In college I drove an hour and a half each way to my EMS job, while doing a double major with a minor.

Hopefully some more NC folks can chime in with local departments/services that would be willing to hire Basics. If nothing else, having the BLS knowledge is a good life skill to have. My most exciting 911 calls were worked while I was off duty.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Ever taken organic chemistry, calculus based physics, etc?...didn't think so Matt.

EMS isn't very impressive to medical school admission people. They are a sharp bunch. Telling them you volunteered or worked as a basic for a while will mean almost nothing. My advise for premeds, stay the hell away from ems. Study your *** off and participate in some serious research and they MIGHT NOT laugh at your med school application. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

brahms0788

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for your replies! To clarify a little bit, I'd be doing a music major and premed at the same time along with workstudy and my school (Yale) is very demanding. I might be able to do around five hours a week tops.
Also, I have heard that EMS isn't necessarily a shoe-in to med school. I'd be doing it primarily for myself (although my parent's friend is in a med school admissions committe at and is encouraging me to try EMS.) I do plan on doing research and physician shadowing as well.

MMiz - Where in North Carolina are you from?

portmanteau

Forum Ride Along
First of all, congrats on yale. I don't exactly see what you're trying to do here though...work as an emt in north carolina while you're going to yale as a pre-med? I'm confused

As for services in North Carolina that hire basics...Mecklenburg EMS Agency hires Basics to run emergency calls. Charlotte is a big, violent city, with two major interstates in the county...could get interesting. I doubt they (or anybody really) would be interested in hiring somebody only able to work a couple months out of the summer. You might be better served trying to get on a volunteer squad up in conn.

As for the pre-med argument...I agree that the basic classes aren't any more difficult than say engineering or any of the physical sciences. However, unlike law schools, medical schools care about extracurricular things as well as grades. Physician shadowing, research, volunteering, etc. are all things that are essentially requirements to get into med school these days. Your average engineering undergrad only needs a co-op or two to get a good job out of school. In summary, the classes aren't what's hard about being a pre-med.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Just to clarify a bit, I'm not saying that pre-med isn't challenging, but I don't think it's any more challenging than any other serious major out there. I have family that just completed pre-med at Duke, and that will attend med school in the fall. Sure undergraduate work is challenging, but they managed to work and party just as much as any other student.

Like others have said, because of the high number of qualified applicants these days, med schools do look at all the extracurricular stuff. Gaining your EMT-B cert, which is relatively easy, will help you.

As far as working in EMS, realize that working as an EMT-B isn't much higher up the food chain than working at the local walmart. EMS services experience high turnover, and are used to the constant shuffle of Basics.

I worked in EMS for a little more than a semester while going through college, worked the summer after my junior year, and then told my service that I wouldn't be able to meet the the minimum work requirements for future years. Eventually working once a month turned into working once a year, and after I got what I wanted out of EMS and the service, I haven't worked in years.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Thanks for your replies! To clarify a little bit, I'd be doing a music major and premed at the same time along with workstudy and my school (Yale) is very demanding. I might be able to do around five hours a week tops.
Also, I have heard that EMS isn't necessarily a shoe-in to med school. I'd be doing it primarily for myself (although my parent's friend is in a med school admissions committe at and is encouraging me to try EMS.) I do plan on doing research and physician shadowing as well.

MMiz - Where in North Carolina are you from?

Yes, Yale is demanding and pre med at Yale is even more demanding. Good Luck.

I have had 2 friends who took the EMT-B class while in college who became doctors. I do not know if it helps admissions to med school but it will give you alot of patient experience. This will help you make sure med school is right for you.

I do suggest working as an EMT doing transport services on a per diem basis. It is not as exciting as 911 calls but you will learn alot. You could also try to get a job as an ER Tech. EMT class qualifies you to work as an ER Tech.

I do not recommend a paramedic class. Just do well in Organic Chemistry I & II.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I always laugh at those that state "Pre-med" which = Biology major.. that's all. One can get all the pre-med requirements in animal husbandry as well. If GPA's and MCAT's were the sole requirement, there would be endless supply of physicians. Now, with that said Basic EMT is equivalent to an advanced first aid course.. that's it. That is what most physicians regard it as. It will not endorse one or give one experience to get into medical school as many assume or think.

I agree, do not even consider Paramedic school. It will only misdirect you. My advice is to shadow a physician, this would be more beneficial than any EMS program that you could enter. As well, no employer is even going to consider allowing an employee for such short term and low time involvement.

If you are truly looking for employment that would be beneficial, I recommend working in a hospital laboratory or even an ER tech position that would allow one to make physician acquaintances. I would explore medical research and other such programs for curriculum vitae and resume.

I am sure like others, Yale would be an outstanding choice, but so would any other medical school... all the graduates have the same title ..M.D.

Good luck,
R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am sure like others, Yale would be an outstanding choice, but so would any other medical school... all the graduates have the same title ..M.D.

Good luck,
R/r 911
I believe he is in Yale undergrad or will be attending undergrad this fall.

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
I myself think working as an EMT would be good experience. Why not shadow a physician AND work or volunteer as an EMT? Lose the work-study and pick up an EMT job. What does work-study pay, minimum wage? I highly doubt work experience as an EMT will hurt your chances of getting in. It will either help or do nothing.

Don't get too obsessed with wanting to do 911 all the time. Transports will give you valuable experience that will teach you a lot about conditions as well as let you see if you can deal with patients who are often smelly, mean, rude or just plain unlpleasant. A physician has to deal with all kinds of patients and working as an EMT will let you SEE and TOUCH these patients.

Shadowing a physician will be valuable and I highly suggest it. You get to see the daily routine of a doctor. In EMS, however you get experience touching, treating, and helping, rather than just watching. I am amazed that watching someone work is considered clinical experience.

After you get experience as a basic you could do an intermediate program. They seem to have an easier time getting 911 jobs and the course is no more than a semester plus clinical time, I think.

Number one priority for you would be to study your a** off. After you get the hang of that, worry about the other thrills and frills.

Last edited by a moderator:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
As an EMT-Intermediate and pre-med I can tell you this-- EMS has taught me TONS! I am so thankful for the 5+ years of EMS I have worked. Sometimes I was full-time, sometimes part-time, others I didn't work at all. But in the 140 hours of EMT-Basic and another 140 of EMT-Intermediate, I have learned soooo much and have been able to teach 4th year med students a thing or two about taking BPs, listening to lung sounds and how to ask someone REALLY personal and private questions. Also I am comfortable with poking around someone's body, even when they are screaming in pain.

However, make studying for classes your #1 priority. EMS comes second. Take EMT-Basic and you'll learn tons. Good luck!

OP
OP
B

brahms0788

Forum Ride Along
Great advice guys!
I'm pretty sure I'll take the Basic class second semester once I'm used to my college work load. I'll probably end up doing stand-by at my school's sporting events during the school year as well as some physician shadowing and working for a local transport during the summer. I have also become really interested in being an ER tech. Any one hear done it before? Did you take extra classes (phlebotomy, EMT-I, etc) before getting the job?

Thanks again!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I myself have not done it but I know several people who did. If you can find a hospital with a busy ER, they will probably need a hand, even if you aren't drawing blood. On the job training for phlembotomy usually happens. Only take I if it does not interfere with the pre med thing. I am pretty sure if you just stick to the EMT-B stuff and learn it well, you will fit in as an ER Tech.

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
Great advice guys!
I'm pretty sure I'll take the Basic class second semester once I'm used to my college work load. I'll probably end up doing stand-by at my school's sporting events during the school year as well as some physician shadowing and working for a local transport during the summer. I have also become really interested in being an ER tech. Any one hear done it before? Did you take extra classes (phlebotomy, EMT-I, etc) before getting the job?

Thanks again!

while taking your class, and after your class you will be more aware of job requirements and opportunities in your area. Your clinical sites can answer many of your questions.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
EMT could be a good thing... or a bad thing. There is something to be said for Emegency Medicine / Trauma docs having a basis in Pre-Hospital care.... and even more for Medical Directors.

I think that taking the EMT-B class once you are in school and going might not be a bad idea.... even better - my county actually offers a 6-week "acadamy style" intensive daytime EMT course over the summer for college students. See if anyone near you offers one, if you have time free this summer.

As for Paramedic - If you can afford to take a semester or year off from pre-med, then it might be worth it... otherwise... just stick with EMT-B and be a GOOD EMT-B.