head injury

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
so the scenario:
training excercise workin on vehicle extrication. im using the spreaders to pop a door on a mildly deformed car
car.jpg

there was an unforseen stress fx in the b pillar and it sheared in an unexpected way hitting me square in the helmet at full force. knocked me out and about five feet back. regained conciousness and c/o head/neck pain, dizziness, blurred vision, exstremity weakness and nausea/vommitting. shipped to the hosp for head and neck ct. both normal. so now for the question:

its been three days and there has been little improvement. followed up next day with pcp who prescribed percocet for the pain and norflex for the neck strain. the percs keep the pain at arms distance but minimal relief. minimal muscle discomfort. i'm wonderin how lon the headache and the nausea, the shakes and the dizziness will last and at what point do i get another ct to see if anythin has changed

thanks for the opinions

p.s. this was not operator error. the lead instructor for the excercise is a chief extrictation technician and national insructor for nascar. he was three feet away and watching me work and said i did nothing wrong here.

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Talk to your PCP again soon. Can't say for sure when to get another CT, but of your symptoms are still hanging around in the next week, then you should get one. Best not to play around with head injuries.

c-spine

Forum Lieutenant
Um.... ouch.

Not really an opinion on what you should do.. but what hit that car?!

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Skip the PCP, this should be covered under worker's comp - go straight to a neurologist. Don't waste time, get yourself the best treatment you can, and multiple opinions.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I strongly advise you to see your PCP and get a follow up with a neurologist and also a neuro surgeon (neck injury maybe) also, get an MRI it shows more detail. Did you fill out any work comp paperwork? this will help cover you and getting the treatment needed. hope this helps.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I'm not going to repeat the good advice you've already received; but I am going to ask if anyone got pictures, was there an investigation beyond the "this is what happened and why", and does the car still exist or was it taken to the boneyard already? All these factors could be important to a determination of injury claim. BTW, hope you get better; that looks like it could have been a pretty hefty kick in the melon with all that folded steel.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Um.... ouch.

Not really an opinion on what you should do.. but what hit that car?!

Ok, I can't resist :p. I'm thinking something a whole lot bigger, moving a whole lot faster!

(I tried, really I did...lol)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Be sure there was an incidence report to protect you as well as witness statements. Most neuro will probably see you until referred from your PCP, unless you want to pay for it yourself.

Recontact your PCP and let them know it still is bothering you... and reemphasize the loss of l.o.c.... he will probably have you follow up for a repeat CT and maybe some c-spine x-rays ...or maybe automatically refer you to the neuro.

Chances are you are okay with a post concussion and some really nasty muscle strains. However; post bleeds are not always seen until 48 hrs after incidence... do follow up.

R/r 911

OP
OP
KEVD18

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
ok so i guess a little more onformation is needed or wanted:

1. workmans comp isnt an option. this was a training excercise taught by a private company off the clock. the company does have the appropriate insurance in place, however liability indemnity waivers were signed. also, the company is owned by a close personal friend so suing isnt going to happen. i have adequate personal insurance so that should cover it

2. the care was on the back of one of those car delivery trucks headed to the dealership. the driver had evidentely left the top ramp thin in the up position and headed down the road. the car clipped the enterence to the bridge and, being well secured, stayed on the truck and dragged it to a stop. this is evidentely where the unforseen stress fx's in the metal occured. i guess it happens....

since the first head and neck ct's were clean, i guess i'll give it a couple days. if no improvement a reeval seems in irder. thanks for theopinions guys.