Head Injuries

Limes

Forum Crew Member
I'm speaking more specifically about concussions. I know that not every head injury will require EMS or C-Spine, but where do you draw the line?

Let's say someone comes to you and says they hit their head. Would I take vitals like I normally would? Head injuries don't always present symptoms from the get go, so how do you know when they're okay?

Might sound like a silly question, but even the basics are vital for me to understand.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm speaking more specifically about concussions. I know that not every head injury will require EMS or C-Spine, but where do you draw the line?

Let's say someone comes to you and says they hit their head. Would I take vitals like I normally would? Head injuries don't always present symptoms from the get go, so how do you know when they're okay?

Might sound like a silly question, but even the basics are vital for me to understand.

What setting are you working in?
If they call 911 because they hit their head, and they want to go to the hospital, take them to the hospital. Follow your local c-spine protocol. And yes, take vitals on every patient.
If you're working a standby as an EMT, what else could you check other than vitals? What abnormal vitals would you expect? What are the signs or symptoms of something more serious than bumping your head? And ultimately, do they want to be transported to the hospital?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Same as most other BLS scenarios.
Get vitals and ask questions. If they're bleeding, first think about taking care of that and clean the person up.
Drowsiness? Dizziness? Do you remember? Nausea? Seeing any spots/stars? This happen before? Feeling weird/any tingling/numbness? Do you want to go to the hospital? etc. etc.

If the person is collected enough to come to us, state his problem, doesn't have any pressing issues, and doesn't want to go, I would be comfortable with processing a refusal.

Local policy may say otherwise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limes

Limes

Forum Crew Member
What setting are you working in?
If they call 911 because they hit their head, and they want to go to the hospital, take them to the hospital. Follow your local c-spine protocol. And yes, take vitals on every patient.
If you're working a standby as an EMT, what else could you check other than vitals? What abnormal vitals would you expect? What are the signs or symptoms of something more serious than bumping your head? And ultimately, do they want to be transported to the hospital?

I work at a Waterpark, so slipping and falling is quite common.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Take vitals like you normally would on all your patients. Do it the same way so you get more efficient. Loss of consciousness? Memory deficits? Problems with cognition/concentration? How does the patient normally act? Untoward neuro activity witnessed by bystanders?

Just to add to the above.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
all of what everybody has said, My Instructor was actually just talking about this yesterday, and he said it is very important to watch for shock With HN&S injuries.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
After doing all the obvious checks (c-spine, vitals, neuro etc), my next "trigger point" is usually nausea/vomiting. This can be confounded when you add alcohol to the mix but alcohol also makes any bleed that much worse so you're better off playing it safe and upgrading the call in the presence of N/V.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk