Florida EMTs? Property tax reform...

patrick239

Forum Probie
I am starting class this week for EMT-b. I live close to two counties where they are county run EMS, I believe they are referred to as third service?
Anyhow, my question is about hiring in these departments and if any of you have any recent experience in the state of Florida getting a county EMT job.
One county has frozen the hiring and won't hire in the future unless it is absolutley necessary. The other county still continuous job postings for EMT-b and Paramedics. With the vote for property tax coming up I feel like this could get worse.
Can anyone shed any light on this for me? There seems to be a state wide freak out regardi0ng county services getting hurt by the tax reform.
Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

medicman14

Forum Crew Member
We're here, just not very chatty

The property tax reform still requires a consensus vote from the citizens, I personally am voting no. All of the fears are simply based on speculation and dramatic pose. EMS is a great profession and is only growing.
Geographically I'm guessing Lee and Collier, both systems are very strong and aren't going away anytime soon.
As to the previous responder, Manatee is a true 3rd service and Sarasota has a county fire based service, nice try though.;)

OP
OP
P

patrick239

Forum Probie
Thank you for the information. I will be voting no as well. I have read up on the issue and it just doesn't make sense for me. I think I might end up saving a minimal amount of money on my property taxes and run the risk of hurting valuable services in the community, not just EMS/Fire.
You guessed right, I was referring to Lee and Collier. From the research I have done thus far on the field, the systems down here seem to be top notch. I guess now I just have to focus on getting my certification(s). Just started classes and I am really eager to get into the field.
Thanks again.