firetender gets on the air, um, the chip?

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Russ, just finished listening, and really enjoyed it!

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Just finished it and it was very insightful, thanks firetender!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
It was a good podcast. I enjoyed listening to it too. Something I haven't considered before was about the drugs that are used now-a-days, and how they could be debunked in the future, and be proven to be harmful. That'll be interesting to see. I actually spoke with a Paramedic who's retiring, and he was talking about how back then they used to recommend lots of ventilations and oxygen for cardiac arrest, and how it turned out to be worse for the patient than better, and he jokingly said he hopes those people don't beat him up when he goes up there... or down there. Nice guy. Anyhow, nice podcast!

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I really liked that. I liked your use of terms like agents of life, and I really appreciated the part where you describe that some can not disconnect the head from the heart. I think I am in that 20%, Is that a bad thing?

OP
OP
firetender

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I really liked that. I liked your use of terms like agents of life, and I really appreciated the part where you describe that some can not disconnect the head from the heart. I think I am in that 20%, Is that a bad thing?

I have a point, Sandog, and it's as simple as can be. Each of us has our own coping style. Each of us also has his/her own breaking point. We, as medics are as human as anyone, therefore vulnerable to the kinds of assaults we go through in the field.

But without defining what is the RIGHT way to cope, medics tend to spend a lot of time minimizing if not deriding other ways of coping than their own.

So what I'm saying is let's start talking about OPTIONS. Options for the 20% of which we are a part. Options for the Flesh Mechanics as well. We can learn from each other.

If I could tweak the culture it would be to include the human aspeccts of the Providors in the things we fight to preserve. All I'm asking for is ears getting a little bit more receptive and hearts getting a little more open to each other. Once that happens we'll get better at offering each other the support we deserve that, frankly, no one else can offer.

...and I really want to say I see a surprising amount of that stuff going on here at EMTLife! It's starting right here, you know; thanks to you!

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Have I found a way to disconnect my head from my heart, no? Has this caused me to lose my objectivity? I don't think so, it it part of me and what makes me the provider I am. For most, I think it is the very fact that we care that drives us into this field. Is this a recipe for burnout? I don't know, but they day I stop caring, is the day I will quit and do something else.