emts and tattoos

reaper

Working Bum
You can cover a new tat with gauze and not have a problem.

As far as the tat sleeves, yes they are used fairly often. My last service required any visible tattoo be covered. If it was unable to be covered, then you could not work. Some of the guys used those sleeves and they worked well. But, they do get hot.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Not to resurface an old thread... I currently have two half sleeves that are %90 covered by most short sleeve uniform shirts.

Problem is I have been wanting full tattoo sleeves for quite a while now and the only reason I do not go forward with it is my job. Does anyone work in a 911 system where visible (non offensive) tattoo's below the elbow are ok?

I am in between jobs right now and emailed a couple EMS agency's about there tattoo policies I maybe interested in.

I love being a Paramedic but I love my personal life also and Tattoo's.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I just wouldn't do it... Self expression is nice and all but you will be limiting your employment opportunities in a poor economic climate and an over saturated job market.

Why does the tattoo have to be somewhere visible?

Dpiner42

Forum Probie
hey im starting my emt-b school in jan. and me and my wife were planning on getting some tattoos around that time, its her first one so i would love to get one with her..... the problem is that i have decided that my next one would be a sleeve on one of my arms but was just a little nervous about getting it and then being able to get hired after school is finished, any thoughts on the situation? i have no problem covering it up with long sleeve shirts or what ever just wondering if maybe my future employer would maybe look down on me and go with someone who didnt have the tattoos.

I think that tattoos on your forearms are unprofessional, but hey, that's my perspective. I know based on the generation that typically owns and operates companies have a foul ideology about tattoos. It's all about sociology. I think this will change in years to come, but i would advise not to get one that you can't cover easily.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Not to resurface an old thread... I currently have two half sleeves that are %90 covered by most short sleeve uniform shirts.

Problem is I have been wanting full tattoo sleeves for quite a while now and the only reason I do not go forward with it is my job. Does anyone work in a 911 system where visible (non offensive) tattoo's below the elbow are ok?

I am in between jobs right now and emailed a couple EMS agency's about there tattoo policies I maybe interested in.

I love being a Paramedic but I love my personal life also and Tattoo's.

I don't know if there is actually an SOP on it, but I know many FF/P's in Howard County Fire & Rescue that have very visible forearm tats.

Then again this would require that you work in the dreaded Land of Mary....

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Meh, my body is a temple. I could never deface it with graffiti.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

sexymedic

Forum Ride Along
I have a few tattoos... but all are related to EMS (star of life and a medical staff). As long as they're not too big and nothing inappropriate it should be fine :cool: :D

bigdogems

Forum Lieutenant
I can only answer for me. I have a ton of ink that shows when I wear short sleeves. Ive only worked on one FD that took issue with it and I had to keep them covered. Its become more accepted in general over the years and I know Tons of fire guys with full sleeves on both arms. In over 10 years I've only had one pt whe made a negative comment about it. And they were a psych pt. As long as you dont get anything stupid you should be fine (naked chicks, ect)

And when you go to your interview wear a suit and make sure they're covered. Get the job then inquire about tattoo policy

hoss42141

Forum Crew Member
I have tattoos on both forearms and the county that I am going to be working for doesn't care as long as it's not vulgar. There is a lot of places in KY that doesn't care about tattoos as long as it's not vulgar.

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
I think I am one of two, maybe three of the over 20 students in my class that does not have a tat!

18G

Paramedic
Society has pretty much become cool with tattoos. Ink doesnt define the person or tell their story. It's just art and expression. Some are tasteless yeah but overall most tattoos are not bad looking.

I've gotten quite a few compliments from the older generation which was shocking. I had this 80 something year old in the ED look over at her daughter at the bedside and say, "look at his nice tattoos"...lol.

So yeah, tattoos are cool in good taste and moderation (ie no full face ink, etc ha).

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I think I prefer friends to fans, better to be liked than admired so to speak.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I prefer minions. Better to be feared.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk