EMT Basic Question IV Transport

Derrick

Forum Ride Along
Sorry, to ask you guys this question, but I don't know where else to turn lol. I was asked a question during an interview that I still am not sure of. So are EMT Basics allowed to transport patients on IVs? I was searching it in the protocols of the nearby counties and am coming up shorthanded. I mean in class we always talked about maintenance of the IV with a paramedic. But I mean in a bls ambulance with only EMTs, is it allowed?

Last edited:
Sorry, to ask you guys this question, but I don't know where else to turn lol. I was asked a question during an interview that I still am not sure of. So are EMT Basics allowed to transport patients on IVs? I was searching it in the protocols of the nearby counties and am coming up shorthanded.
It all depends on the fluids that are hung and if they are medicated fluids or not. For example, as an EMT in my last county system, we were only allowed to transport non-medicated fluids (NS and LR) without having to upgrade to a CCT. We were not allowed to adjust the flow of the medication, with the exception of turning off the flow if it was to become infiltrated or disconnected.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
It all depends on your local scope of practice. Check with your LEMSA.

Here in LA County an EMT can:
"D. Monitor and adjust to maintain a preset rate of flow, or turn off the intravenous (IV) fluid if indicated:
1. Glucose solutions
2. Isotonic balanced salt solutions (Normal Saline)
3. Ringer's Lactate

I. Monitor intravenous (IV) infusions with additives to a keep open (TKO) rate:
1. Folic acid
2. Multi-vitamins (MVI)
3. Magnesium Sulfate (only when in conjunction with multi-vitamins)
4. Thiamine

J. Monitor IV infusions with additives at pre-set rate via infusion pump:
1. Potassium Chloride 20mEq/1000mL
2. Total parenteral nutrition (TPN)

K. Transport patients with specialized infusion pumps:
1. Any prescribed medication with an automated or patient operated medication pump.
2. Any prescribed pain medication via a patient controlled analgesia (PCA) pump."

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
As everyone else already stated its going to depend solely on your protocols. Some areas allow it while others don't. Areas will also allow different fluid and/or medications to be monitored by EMTs.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry, to ask you guys this question, but I don't know where else to turn lol. I was asked a question during an interview that I still am not sure of. So are EMT Basics allowed to transport patients on IVs? I was searching it in the protocols of the nearby counties and am coming up shorthanded. I mean in class we always talked about maintenance of the IV with a paramedic. But I mean in a bls ambulance with only EMTs, is it allowed?
The answer is definitely YES.
The answer is definitely NO.
The answer is definitely SOMETIMES.

Please let us know which answer is correct for your agency, County, State, and/or Country. ;-)

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
In Idaho Basic can transport Saline Locks. Also, if the basic has gone through the option module for IV, they can transport with Fluid running, Non-Medicated. It all depends on what state you work in, and agency protocols

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The last time I worked on an ambulance (about 10 years ago), an EMT could monitor IV solutions without additional medications being added, including potassium. These were Saline, 1/2 NS, and 1/4 NS, Lactated Ringers, and D5 or D10 in any of those fluids. We could adjust the drip rate to maintain a preset/predetermined infusion rate but we could not change that rate on our own, except to turn the infusion off. If we did that, we were not allowed to restart the flow of fluid. We could not establish or reestablish the line if it became dislodged or disconnected.

We couldn't use a pump.

EMTinCT

Forum Crew Member
EMT-Bs don't start IVs and can't transport a PT who has an IV and is infusing. If PT has an IV catheter but it isn't infusing then it's OK. You may not initiate an IV or begin infusion.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
EMT-Bs don't start IVs and can't transport a PT who has an IV and is infusing. If PT has an IV catheter but it isn't infusing then it's OK. You may not initiate an IV or begin infusion.
Like said before, your statement is not completely accurate. It depends on the State. Idaho, EMT basics can, Same with Colorado, and I believe Montana also. It depends on the State that you are working in.

EMTinCT

Forum Crew Member
Like said before, your statement is not completely accurate. It depends on the State. Idaho, EMT basics can, Same with Colorado, and I believe Montana also. It depends on the State that you are working in.

I've never heard of anything like that. They must be Intermediate EMTs.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
I've never heard of anything like that. They must be Intermediate EMTs.
Nope, When I was a basic in Colorado I could start IV, I have basics (in Idaho) that are on my rig that can start my IV's for me and run non medicated fluid. It just depends on your local protocols. I believe Montana is the same way as both Colorado and Idaho.

EMTinCT

Forum Crew Member
Nope, When I was a basic in Colorado I could start IV, I have basics (in Idaho) that are on my rig that can start my IV's for me and run non medicated fluid. It just depends on your local protocols. I believe Montana is the same way as both Colorado and Idaho.
I've never heard of this. How can an EMT-B be allowed to start IVs? Were not trained to do that. In my Basic class we never learned anything about IVs and the textbook had nothing in it about IVs.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
I've never heard of this. How can an EMT-B be allowed to start IVs? Were not trained to do that. In my Basic class we never learned anything about IVs and the textbook had nothing in it about IVs.
It is not hard to gain IV access, and I do know for Idaho and Colorado (at least when I was still living there) it was an option module, you just took a psycomotor exam for IV access, and after passing, you are allowed to do them. Idaho allows Basics to test for IV, IO, and King Airway. All three just require psycomotor exam, and medical director approval to preform skills within your agency

EMTinCT

Forum Crew Member
It is not hard to gain IV access, and I do know for Idaho and Colorado (at least when I was still living there) it was an option module, you just took a psycomotor exam for IV access, and after passing, you are allowed to do them. Idaho allows Basics to test for IV, IO, and King Airway. All three just require psycomotor exam, and medical director approval to preform skills within your agency

That sounds like an Intermediate EMT to me.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Nope, it is EMT-Basic. Each state has their own set of protocols for each provider level. The state decides what they allow and do not allow. Some states allow Basics to have a larger skill set, and some states do not allow larger skill set.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Where I worked in Indiana basics could transport active IV's with NS, LR, D5 and 10; and Potassium up to 40meq (maybe only 20meq, it has been 6 years since I have been there, and 10 since I was a basic there). Also depending on the circumstances we could transport more, with doctors orders

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
In responding to these posts, it would be useful if everyone would post their locations...

Here in Colorado I can start IVs, IOs, and initiate crysalloid fluids as well as dextrose (D5-50). I am not an Intermediate, we just have a 28(?) hour add on class.

I believe EMTs in Wisconsin, Arizona, and Tennessee can also start IVs depending on training. There could be more as well.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
In some parts of Az., EMT basics can start iv's. In Maricopa County (Phoenix area) we cannot in the field, but can in an ed.