EMT-B reciprocity

actorEMT

Forum Ride Along
EMT reciprocity

Hey.
I am moving back home to Alaska in October, to attend Allied Health courses at our University in Anchorage. I want to pursue my EMT-B certification. Once certified I want to move back to Manhattan NY, where I am living now, and begin to work as an EMT. I am aware that I must apply for reciprocity, but I'm a little worried about finding work.

I know very little about how this field hires, is it easy for a "just certified" EMT-B to find work?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
you must be certified in NY to work in NY. I am sure getting reciprocity won't be difficult. why don't you just take the course in NY?

OP
OP
A

actorEMT

Forum Ride Along
too expensive...And i cant get financial aid here in NY.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
too expensive...And i cant get financial aid here in NY.

if you join a vollie squad, they will pick up most if not all the cost. You live in Manhattan? Join Central Parks vollie squad.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Not sure if youve googled it yet, but to save you some time heres the web site:

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/certification/reciprocity.htm

This is for New York state certification, pretty sure it does not apply to the city.

(in response to your other post)

I am almost certain NYS EMT-B certification is good for NYC. If NYS awards you certification, you won't have a problem with you. Of course its different ifm your a medic. You must take the NYC protocols test.

OP
OP
A

actorEMT

Forum Ride Along
Well, I need to go back home to Alaska for some reasons. But I thought that while I was there I would enroll in the University and complete the courses there, so I can get my certification for EMT-B. Then I plan on moving back to New York...but I was made aware that I will have to apply for reciprocity, if I wanted to work in the city as an EMT.

My only real concern is after I relocate to the city again, and get reciprocity... how hard is it going to be to find work as an EMT-B with hospitals or the FDNY Fire dept, etc. Is it tough finding work? I mean, I'm changing careers from being an actor, and I know that it can't be as hard as trying to find acting work...

firecoins

IFT Puppet
My only real concern is after I relocate to the city again, and get reciprocity... how hard is it going to be to find work as an EMT-B with hospitals or the FDNY Fire dept, etc. Is it tough finding work? I mean, I'm changing careers from being an actor, and I know that it can't be as hard as trying to find acting work...

as a stand up comic & and actor, no finding work as an EMT is not as hard. I don't know that work as a basic EMT will cover all costs of living in NYC but I bet it will be more consistent than acting. One does not need to give up acting either. You cna work per diem as an EMT and still have time to go out on auditions, work for several weeks as an actor than come back to working per diem as an EMT. If you truly going into EMS as a career, become a medic.

OP
OP
A

actorEMT

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for your replies!
I dont want to give up acting totally. I'm just really interested in EMT work.
I have nothing against waiting tables, but that's just not for me. I took a course a while back that I didn't complete, for certification, but I really enjoyed the class and the work.

I'm hoping that I will be able to live a little bit more comfortably ($$) as an EMT. But I dont want to give up auditioning either...Either way, I just want to be doing something I enjoy.

certguy

Forum Captain
What about National Registry ? CA now requires it and I'm told many states now do . Do Alaska and New York ? With the registry , if you move to a state that accepts it , all you have to do is pay thier fees .

CERTGUY