1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.

EMT-B,EMT-I, What is the difference?

Discussion in 'Education and Training' started by emtmomma, Dec 13, 2010.

1. emtmomma

emtmomma New Member

Hello, i start my emt course in january and i was curious after reading on here, what is the defference in the titles?(EMT-B,EMT-I, etc.) How do i ask my class instructor what title i will have after completion of my course without sounding like an idiot? thanks for your help!

im sorry i just saw the forum and noticed its in the wrong spot!! sorry!
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010
  2. Linuss

Linuss Active Member

Depends on your state.

EMT-B is the lowest level of Emergency Medical Technian. They can do basic things such as bandaging, splinting, AED usage, and about 6 drugs (O2, Nitro, Asprin, Glucose, Epi-pen, Albuterol)

EMT-I, or Intermediate, is well, the middle ground between EMT-B and Paramedic. Again, depending on your state there are 2 levels of Intermediate, I/85 and I/99. I/85 is essentially an EMT with IVs and Intubation, and maybe a couple of other things. I/99 is 'closer' to Paramedic skill wise, but still quite a bit short education wise.

Paramedic (Or EMT-P for the next couple of years) is the highest level of pre-hospital medical providers typically on the ambulance. Like I said, depending on the state, a Paramedic can do / know a lot, or can do / know very little. IV, EKG, 12lead reading, Intubation, cricothyrotomy, needle thorcostomy, 60+ different drugs, etc etc etc
  3. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Well-Known Member

It works ok in this section.

And EMT-B is a basic EMT. It's probably what you will be once you pass the NR/State test after completing your class successfully. EMT-I is an EMT-Intermediate, which has a little more education and training than the Basic. EMT-P is a paramedic.
    Stuff before EMT (like NR or NM, CO, TX etc) are just designators for what certification area it is. Such as state offices or National Registry

EDIT: Linuss has it better than I did. Although one exception. There is also an inbetween EMT-I that is not NR at all. In states such as UT, WA, or to some extent TX they have EMT-Is that fall firmly in between I/85 and I/99 level.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010
  4. medic417

medic417 The Truth Provider

You start as an emt basic.

Basic can do splinting, bandaging and other basic first aid. A few places allow more aggressive.

Intermediate (emt-i) IV's maybe intubation and a few drugs. A few places allow more aggressive. It is being phased out.

Paramedic Lots of drugs and many skills. A few places allow more aggressive.

You will find some places allow a lot and others nothing. Education varies.
  5. Hepinghand

Hepinghand New Member

As far as I know here in nj we cannot give asprin.