EMT-B description

tvbegone

Forum Ride Along
I want to become a vol.EMT-B in my town. Can someone tell me a basic description of what a emt-b can and can not do? is there alot of paper work to fill out for ever call? if so what ?thanks

JPINFV

Gadfly
1. What basics can/can not do is really location dependant. The reality is a lot of what it is could be summed up as first aid. Bleed control, splinting, CPR, rescue breathing (positive pressure ventilations), airway management, oxygen administration and assessments (including vital signs, lung sounds etc) are all common procedures done by EMT-Basics. Every call gets a run sheet (officially called a patient care report) that details the patient's condition, treatments rendered, and disposition. Personally, I feel that the better run sheets have a good amount of room for a narritive because you simply can't document everything properly by checking boxes.

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Maybe it would be possible for you to get hold of a protocol book from your registering agency in the area and go through that. You might understand the do's and dont's better from the Prot. Book.