1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.

EMS Provider needs help! (Valerie DeFrance thread)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Jon

Jon Administrator Community Leader

EMS Training:
    EMT-Paramedic
    Normally here at EMTLife, we don't shill for outside organizations or partake in fundraising. In fact, I don't think we've ever done it before. Not that there aren't worthy causes, but because it really doesn't pertain to the online EMS community as a whole, and we try to keep that our focus.

This one is different, folks.

Anyone ever been to http://www.defrance.org/? "The EMS House of DeFrance"??? Well, the site admin there, Valerie DeFrance, needs our help.

A little online EMS history for you. Valerie DeFrance has been maintaining an EMS presence online for decades. From Ambulance Driver (Kelly Grayson):
    I don't believe I've ever met Valerie in person, but I can attest to her impact on our community. She was a driving force behind the ill-fated Prehospital Perspective magazine... an EMS publication BY EMS providers, FOR EMS providers, prior to the blossoming of the Blogosphere. She was a poster on the Yahoo EMT group (where I met some of you before I found this site), and many items posted here as news articles have been found through her site.

Here's the info on what's going on, and what you can do to help, from Of Mule Dung and Ash:

The goal right now is $10,000. As of this post, it's over $1800 collected. There is a widget ON THIS PAGE that you can go to if you'd like to donate. There's also a snail-mail address in the comments, if that's your thing. And this site: http://valerieshouse.blogspot.com/ will likely have more info, if any, as it develops.

Oh, and if you remember Prehospital Perspective, check out Interventions, a similar concept being published by some friends of mine.

One last housekeeping note - We aren't trying to start a trend with posting "help XYZ" links. Not that they aren't deserving - but there are so many that are deserving that it would be overwhelming.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2012
  2. Martyn

Martyn New Member

Widget link does not work :sad:
  3. Jon

Jon Administrator Community Leader

EMS Training:
    EMT-Paramedic
  4. MMiz

MMiz I put the M in EMTLife Community Leader

EMS Training:
    EMT-Basic
    Jon,

Nearly every link in your post was broken. I edited the post to fix most of them, and removed the ones I couldn't fix.

It's a great cause for someone that has done a lot for EMS.
  5. Ambulance_Driver

Ambulance_Driver New Member

"Oh, and if you remember Prehospital Perspective, check out Interventions, a similar concept being published by some friends of mine."

Wow, now THERE'S a blast from the past! I was one of their original editorial board members, and wrote my very first EMS article for publication for PrePer.