EMS: An Inadvertent “Bait and Switch”

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
In literally studying the thread, “Holding Someone’s Hands” I was really struck by the juiciness of the responses. There were strong points of view, a clear willingness to challenge each other on the subject and, at the same time, lots of soul-searching.

There was a strong as steel parallel issue there, too: “I thought I’d be running emergencies. What the hell is this?” Me and my partners asked ourselves the same 30 years ago. I recall our projecting we could see it getting worse. It clearly has!

Now, I offer an opportunity for all the private ambulance company owners, my Supervisors, and all the County officials I’ve gone head to head with in my career to roll over in their graves. (…and forgive me, if any are still alive, we’re talkin’ decades ago!) I will now state the opposite of what my life stood for as a medic:

SAVING LIVES IS ALL ABOUT BUSINESS!

That’s the way things work here in the US. Radio-transmitted telemetry, for example, was developed for the space program so the astronaut’s hearts could be monitored during the trip. Someone recognized its applicability to on-ground emergencies, but we’d still be exclusively taking pulses were it not for someone else figuring he could make money.

Taking a broad generalization for illustrative purposes only, can you see that every point from that moment on was about creating a market for those goods? And even if that’s not quite accurate, can you at least see that the altruistic innovators had to enlist the support of the business world to get things done? To do THAT, someone had to translate saving lives into an equation that included money. My only observation is, if you look where it started – especially since we are an incredibly high-tech industry – you’ll find someone seeking profit. (If I can be refuted here, I’m happy to be.)

The character of modern day medicine is driven by market forces. Believe you me, the day after paramedic level of services can no longer be taken as a tax write-off, you’re going to be back to load and go!

I proposed my overview of the relationship between the people and modern-day healthcare in the thread mentioned above. I’d like to expand the perspective.

As medicine became more specialized and the people’s ACCESS to personally-delivered medical care diminished, there were fewer and fewer places to go for people seeking help and/or reassurance on medical situations they faced. The experiences you shared with me illuminated that – especially since the societal structure has bred the people to depend more on the professional than their peers, neighbors and relatives.

The character of what you do today, with the rare exception of those few services that exclusively respond to emergencies, is that your job is to pick up the slack of what the medical system does not want to deal with: human beings with their everyday, routine medical (and psychological because most people cannot afford a shrink!) maladies.

We’re at the bottom of the food chain because we’re the only guys who will actually GO TO THEM. Everyone else is doing a splendid job, but let’s face it, if you can’t get to them under your own power (spelled U-S, too!) then you don’t get the help you need.

What you are is an expression of a system designed to carry the burden of first response (and remember, I said NOTHING about emergency response) so the professionals above you don’t have to. We’re first responders to more than we were told!

More and more people are using emergency services as primary care evaluation services – a kind of Mobile Medical Intervention Services. In fact, I like that term so much, I’m gonna make it an acronym (MMIS) and keep referring to it in my writings!

I feel like the guy who comes to the party late and tells everyone they gotta turn the music down, but folks, get a clue, in the majority, EMS are really MMIS. And, with my generation, the Baby Boomers, and me coming around the bend into sunset, the numbers of routine non-emergency transports or interventions are going to increase considerably. (At heart, we’re wimps, and even more disoriented because we remember how it once was, and we ARE confused over the way things are now and need your help! Please, I beg you - especially when I wet the gurney, have pity!)

The forces that define our relationships with our patients are economic as well. As medical care gets further and further away from the people taking care of each other, it’s got to go to the only professionals to whom they have access. Rich folks get doctors to their houses, did you know that?

Also, the way it’s set up – because we keep telling ourselves and others that we’re basically a humanitarian service – if we’re called to an emergency, we don’t wait for the cash before we render treatment. Do the poor have access to anything better?

Your job, in a larger part than you're willing to admit, is to intervene for the poor.

(I want you to know that it is only since spending time on this site that these things began to string together for me. You’ve been huge teachers and I thank you!)

So, the economic forces, contributed to by the professionalization of routine health care has put every EMS provider between a rock and a hard place.

How do you possibly fill all these ambulances with personnel (to take care of that huge population in need) if you tell the applicants that what they really are enrolled in is an MMIS that, out of necessity, must take care of the occasional true emergency?

Is this a conspiracy? No, as much as I grew up on those kinda theories I have to say it is not. EMS advertises itself as something you enter to save lives, but IT CANNOT EXIST UNLESS IT’S TAKING CARE OF THE MEDICAL RUNOFF THAT THE SYSTEM GENERATES WHILE CONFORMING TO ECONOMIC FORCES.

Every hack I know who went into management did so with the knowledge that you had to attend to economic realities first or you’d never get to do the important stuff. Still, he or she would cling to the idea, and promote and even Sell it, that EMS is about emergencies.

Just like the advertisement that gets you into the Appliance Store to see the nifty-thrifty $200 refrigerator where you encounter the salesman that makes sure you walk out with the $1,050.00 model with the bells and whistles, you’ve been asked to invest your lives in emergencies and have been given the keys to an Ambu-van.

But it is not your stupidity that got you there, nor is it a plot by the multi-national corporations to make you their pawns. It is the basic struggle where altruism must conform to economic forces in order to get things done.

And EVERYBODY, because they want to think of themselves and each other as responsive, altruistic human beings, employs denial of what is to keep the system alive so it can do the good it is asked to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Part of the problem I have always stated is that we never properly inform EMS students of what the job really entitles. Most assume that when they enter EMS programs that the workforce will be what they have seen reflected from the media. Unfortunately, majority of the educational systems never dispel the fallacy and enforce the teaching of strictly emergency procedures and associated skills needed to perform them (albeit that is very lacking as well).

Personally, I have always believed in honesty in almost all cases. This being, I have always informed my students up-front, what EMS really encompasses. That it is a business, and part of that business is attempting to save lives, but that is very small and tiny part of it. The real job is to handle a compromising situation, that the patient or family (etc.) cannot handle at the time. Really, medical care again is just a small part of the job. Think about it. What true percentage is providing medical care? Or is it, informing those involved in a situation, ....."Don't worry about it, I have it under control"...This might involve detailed treatment from inserting chest tubes, or as simple as moving grandma back into the bed.

Most "EMS Lifer's" that are involved and become successfully in EMS over a period of years, have learned what their "true" job is. Yes, our intent and main purpose is to provide emergency medical care to those that are sick and injured, however; just like every other profession, there are "other activities" that are not commonly discussed and it is these activities that take up majority of the work time. Some of these are not "glorified", and hence were majority are not adequately prepared for the "real world".

For example the majority of people never assume the "Trauma Surgeon" routinely performs rectal exams on almost every patient they examine. Hmmm... never see that in most real life stories or trauma center television shows. As well, as follow up visits at 3:00 a.m. to place an sub-pubic catheter on that spinal patent.. not glamorous, but part of the real job. As well as the firefighter testing water pressure on water lines or painting fire hydrants and replacing light bulbs or hanging Christmas decorations with the snorkel unit. Many of the same activities could be compared in our profession.

I have found that it is a double edged sword. The more a profession we become, the more responsibilities and yes more tasks we will encounter. This does not matter if one gets paid or volunteers. The health care system as we have known it in the past cannot work...period. The patients that was primarily seen in the ED in the 70's and 80's are not the same we see today. Majority of the patients back then would had reffered to a clinic and most people would had never considered ever going to an ER for B.S.The same as in EMS. Hospitals are still trying to evolve to make sense of what to do to provide care and at the same time be able to make profit to pay bills (Actually, there is nothing wrong with that. Why should health care be a charitable organization?).

This is again why we have adapt and change. Our level of training has to convert to education and meet the new demands of the business. Now, albeit the business is ever changing, but we in EMS are not adapting to the business portion. Again, although rhetorical compare it with nursing. Nurses have changed drastically in the past 15 years. No longer, can they expect to take on only 2-3 patients and have "down time" to read to patients, give extra time that many would love to be able to do. It is unrealistic due to the demands and so the education now attempting to screen applicants and teach "critical thinking skills"to students. To be able to perform multi-tasks, other than what their primary goal and objectives are.

Yes, it would be nice to stop the world and revert back to EMS providing just emergency care, but that is NEVER going to happen again. Sorry, the population, the increasing age, types of illnesses and financial levels will never allow it to revert to the one tasks and goal period again. Read the national census and age levels, look at scientific studies with predictions of number of expected responses and admissions, now look at your own number in the past 5-10 years. It is not going to get better!

So those entering the workforce, in current training, or considering entering the profession, truly evaluate and look at the "whole" system.

R/r 911

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
a common revelation among ems personel that have stuck around for a while is, we're not only health care's orphaned child, we're taking up the slack for, and quite often the kicking post for a failing system

go here for the latest rethoric, stats, stories etc....

almost every medico-legal, or medico-social problem there is has a focal point down at our level.

from death with dignity to gun control we rub elbows with the great unwashed being affected, confronted...

out on those front lines we get to dwell not only in their misery at the moment, we field their discontent for being captive within a system they can't come to terms with

litigants to the right of us

statisticans to the left of us

stuck in the middle (class) with you

~S~

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
firetender, great job reading into the thread. I enjoyed reading your above post and agree with all of it. I'm just not sure you're looking deep enough into the issue.

"It is the basic struggle where altruism must conform to economic forces in order to get things done"

Based on this and other sentences in your post, I get the impression that your theory basically says we can't be a 911 only service because economic restrictions won't allow it. My theory is based on the root cause of all major problems which is culture (economics is one of the largest but still only one aspect of this). Holding hands or not holding hands is an indicator of culture. A horizontal taxi service and ems should be two different things. You do not need a medically trained person to transfer granny to a stretcher and taxi her for a check up. The current culture wants to combine these two. This will drag down and ruin ems; it will not help ems. Look at your average transport service and compare it to your average ems system. The transport system makes more money but the equipment, personnel, educational standards, etc is all substandard compared to the ems system.

Our culture wants to combine these two (for some) to make more money or (for others) to better leech off of our society. After all, why pay for a private transport service or taxi when all I have to do is call an ems ambulance that is legally obligated to take me to a hospital.

Now, I do think a private company could run a great 911 ems service and in some cases use non emergent transports to fund their 911 service. The important thing is that the paramedics aren't doing the non emergent transports that require nothing more than a taxi van driver. The important thing is that there is a clear separation between the two.

The current culture wants us to charge the same price (if any) for both types of services. I think there is a big difference between taxi service and ems and would have ems charge a hell of a lot more.

To me, economic restrictions are minor obstacles that can easily be overcome in our country. We need to be looking at the larger picture and the real root cause of the problem. In essence, me running the B.S. calls is like a brain surgeon having to work as a general practitioner 90% of the time, it's just stupid. Can you imagine people demanding a brain surgeon to examine them for every little thing because they feel entitled. EMS was and is a great idea that is being ruined by a culture that wants to abuse it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
EMS was and is a great idea that is being ruined by a culture that wants to abuse it.

WOW!!!

This is one of the few times that I actually agree with you, Guardian. Very well said.