Emergency Medical Responder

Desette

Forum Probie
Try for PMA if you live in Calgary, or Edmonton. I went there, can be tough to get in, but it's well worth it. When I applied, 40 others applied and only 8 got in. So it's clear they're not in it for the money but to focus on good education. I really enjoyed going there and will be going back for EMT-P!

Whats there schedule like for EMT class anyway?

Desette

Forum Probie
My EMR instructor checked with ACoP and EMRs can only assist with the Epi-Pen. He also said the 3 drugs an EMR can administer in Alberta are
Oxygen
ASA
Oral Glucose.

OK just checked and I can send you my source if you want just ask me via PM.

All online medications (Salbutamol, Ipratropium Bromide and Epinepherine) are listed as assisted medications meaning assited by permission of medical control (my interpretation).

I will clarify, or feel free to call them yourself and find out, with ACP when I am not an hour away from cell service with my cell phone (Stupid Rogers).

technocardy

Forum Crew Member
Whats there schedule like for EMT class anyway?

For me in Calgary it was every Tuesday, Thursday and most weekends. The weekdays were usually spent doing majority lecture, and some hands on/practical stuff (maybe 70 / 30 split) and the weekends usually consisted of skills days / hands on and scenarios.

I found that worked really well because it gave you time between each class to get your homework, and reading done and allow it to all sink in before moving on to the next topic, or going more in depth. I don't know how many books you get at AHASTI for EMT, but at PMA we got:

EMT-I / EMT-I workbook
Emergency: Care for the sick and injured
Pediatric Education for Prehospital Providers
Geriatric Education for Prehospital Providers
Paramedic: Pathophysiology
Medical Terminology
ITLS
School binder with homework sections

I think there might be another one or two at home but for the life of me I can't remember, so maybe that is it.

Desette

Forum Probie
For me in Calgary it was every Tuesday, Thursday and most weekends. The weekdays were usually spent doing majority lecture, and some hands on/practical stuff (maybe 70 / 30 split) and the weekends usually consisted of skills days / hands on and scenarios.

I found that worked really well because it gave you time between each class to get your homework, and reading done and allow it to all sink in before moving on to the next topic, or going more in depth. I don't know how many books you get at AHASTI for EMT, but at PMA we got:

EMT-I / EMT-I workbook
Emergency: Care for the sick and injured
Pediatric Education for Prehospital Providers
Geriatric Education for Prehospital Providers
Paramedic: Pathophysiology
Medical Terminology
ITLS
School binder with homework sections

I think there might be another one or two at home but for the life of me I can't remember, so maybe that is it.

Thanks for that list of books and the information. I like PMA but when I work 24 on 4 off its hard to do an EMT program part time so I will more then likley take 3-4 months off and get a course done quick.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Initially my instructor said epi could be given by EMRs. Then he checked with ACoP and he found that EMRs can only assist.

Desette

Forum Probie
Initially my instructor said epi could be given by EMRs. Then he checked with ACoP and he found that EMRs can only assist.

Im assuming that by assit you mean the old take there hand and place the epi-pen in it and then slam it in there leg. If thats not what you mean I dont think we have a disagreement.

Assist in this sence means with medical direction from what I understand.

I wouldnt say your instructor is wrong or not I would jsut go to the ACP website and read the scope and it says verbatim that you do all the steps for Epi via IM with an autoinjector.

An EMR will:

G-4-1 Demonstrate knowledge for reasons for intramuscular injection based on:
• Rate of absorption;
• Volume to be administered;
• Patient clinical condition;
• Properties of medication.

G-4-2 Confirm findings, history and indications for the use of the medication for:
• Anaphylaxis;
• Special circumstance medications as introduced by Emergency Preparedness Canada.

G-4-3 Select the supply of the prescribed medication:
• Epinephrine (pre-filled, pre-measured);
• Special circumstance medications as introduced by Emergency Preparedness Canada.

G-4-4 Confirm correct medication.

G-4-5 Prepare site:
• Cleanse the site.

G-4-6 Administer medication:
• Insert needle into intramuscular tissue;
• Inject medication;
• Remove the needle;
• Dispose of needle in supplied sharps container;
• Cover the puncture site;
• Massage gently to facilitate absorption.

G-4-7 Monitor patient:
• Document effect.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
If you will notice the header in the profile says Patient assist. Which means you assist the patient You could probably do that without assisting but may be subject to discipline from ACoP for performing outside your scope.

It can be found at

http://www.collegeofparamedics.org/media/66516/aocp_emr_full.pdf

Competency: G-4
G-4 Patient Assist Administration via Intramuscular Route

An EMR will:
G-4-1 Demonstrate knowledge for reasons for intramuscular injection based on:
• Rate of absorption;
• Volume to be administered;
G-4-2 Confirm findings, history and indications for the use of the medication for:
• Anaphylaxis;
G-4-3 Select the supply of the prescribed medication:
• Epinephrine (pre-filled, pre-measured);
G-4-4 Confirm correct medication.
G-4-5 Prepare site:
• Cleanse the site.
G-4-6 Administer medication:
• Insert needle into intramuscular tissue;
• Inject medication;
• Remove the needle;
• Dispose of needle in supplied sharps container;
• Cover the puncture site;
• Massage gently to facilitate absorption.
G-4-7 Monitor patient:
• Document effect

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
As well I've been a member of my service for four years. My other certs beside st johns ambulance standard first aid and CPR C are CHSF HCP CPR and Neonatel resuscitation. As well if it says Patient assist and if you get sued for directly injecting the pt the court will go by how the AOCP is worded if it says pt assist then the court will take it to mean pt assist and only assist the pt injecting themselves. Then you will be up the proverbial creek.

Desette

Forum Probie
As well I've been a member of my service for four years. My other certs beside st johns ambulance standard first aid and CPR C are CHSF HCP CPR and Neonatel resuscitation. As well if it says Patient assist and if you get sued for directly injecting the pt the court will go by how the AOCP is worded if it says pt assist then the court will take it to mean pt assist and only assist the pt injecting themselves. Then you will be up the proverbial creek.

Your probably right but it also doesn't say you need to call medical direction anywhere that I could find (I'm going to read it again to make sure) and when you look at the next section for inhaltion route its specfically says to assit in the administer section or let them do it yourself where here it says the instructions on how you can do it.

Very misleading indeed.

Desette

Forum Probie
Here is what I was just talking about

G-3 Patient Assist Administration via Inhalation
An EMR will:
G-3-1 Demonstrate knowledge of inhalation route:
• Rate of absorption;
G-3-2 Confirm findings, history and indications for the use of the medication for:
• Asthma;
• COPD.
G-3-3 Select the supply of the prescribed medication:
• Salbutamol;
• Ipratropium Bromide.
G-3-4 Confirm correct medication.
G-3-5 Prepare delivery equipment.
G-3-6 Administer medication:
• Self administration;
• Assisted administration.

G-3-7 Monitor patient:
• Document effect;

But your right it clearly says assist at the top which made me double think as well.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Pt assist meds means the pt has the medication. You assist them in taking their own. At least it was on the last exam I wrote based off of the NOCP. Though it may be different on your side of the country.

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
Regarding Epi, the above is correct. It has to be theirs, but you have the right to stab 'em - no funny 'their hand around it' malarky.

Be aware, as someone who has literally read every page of that American text book, that there will be some significant differences between it and Albertan protocol. A&P will obviously be the same, but don't start memorizing medication protocols or doses as Albertan ones are different. Even the way Americans measure Blood sugar levels is different (Canadians use MMol).

Do study hard though and the course will be way easier for it. Did you say which school you're going to? As long as it's not SAIT you'll be fine! :rolleyes:

Try and get the schools scenario sheet in advance. You will have to memorize that to pass. 8 pages of text where I went to school...

Desette

Forum Probie
Regarding Epi, the above is correct. It has to be theirs, but you have the right to stab 'em - no funny 'their hand around it' malarky.

Be aware, as someone who has literally read every page of that American text book, that there will be some significant differences between it and Albertan protocol. A&P will obviously be the same, but don't start memorizing medication protocols or doses as Albertan ones are different. Even the way Americans measure Blood sugar levels is different (Canadians use MMol).

Do study hard though and the course will be way easier for it. Did you say which school you're going to? As long as it's not SAIT you'll be fine! :rolleyes:

Try and get the schools scenario sheet in advance. You will have to memorize that to pass. 8 pages of text where I went to school...

BURN on SAIT lol so true...

I see you went to Ahasti then eh lol

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
BURN on SAIT lol so true...

I see you went to Ahasti then eh lol

To be nice to SAIT, I will qualify that - from what I hear, the instructors are perfectly fine, as are many of the students that go there, but as they have a laughably low pass grade (I believe that getting an overall score of 60% counts as a pass) - then someone who scraped by at SAIT will have no chance of passing the ACP.

That said, I think it's interesting that AHASTI can respelled AH SAIT! :p

EMTBell

Forum Probie
Emr

I got my Connecticut EMR, and the test wasn't even up to date with the new CPR guidelines or new protocol (i.e. torniquets.) So if you're in CT, you've got a good book to study from. Either way, I didnt touch the book throughout the entire course and still scored in the 90s. Bottom line, EMR isn't worth spending too much time on as long as you pay attention in class. (Of course you could also goof off in class and study on your own time, but whatever.) One of my buddies used a kaplan EMT-Basic review book from the public library for some review tests, he said they were really helpful. Good luck!

kburke908

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone, I just wrapped up my EMR certification in Alberta and I built up quite a collection of test sites (emt-b and bls) and online material (SOP, GAP modules) related to the ACP EMR Scope of Practice. I'd be happy to send and share these links your way if you're studying to get certified in Alberta as they mostly apply to ACP.

The only catch is that I can't post links because my post count is too low but I'd be happy to email them to anyone interested.

HI there, still have those links available?
Thanks,
Kim