Emergency Medical Responder

FExplorerKB

Forum Ride Along
I am studying to get my EMR certification. I have read Brady's 8th edition of First responder. Is there any practice tests online anyone knows of?

Anjel

Forum Angel
If EMT isnt rocket science....im sure you will be fine for EMR. you have the best book. Use the reviews in there.

I passed MFR in tenth grade and no studying. Not the nremt but still.

Desette

Forum Probie
Don't know where you are located so if you are in Alberta you can get practice tests from ALberta College of Paramedics or so I've been told. But if not you can run through a few free or paid app on android or iPhone. Trauma.org is a good site for familiarizing yourself with the bigger pictures or pictures of injuries.

What helped me a lot was finding a Facebook group of fellow students to help make up questions.

Hope that helps a little. And if you find a good source feel free to share what works for you cause i would love to know

blueoxygen

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone, I just wrapped up my EMR certification in Alberta and I built up quite a collection of test sites (emt-b and bls) and online material (SOP, GAP modules) related to the ACP EMR Scope of Practice. I'd be happy to send and share these links your way if you're studying to get certified in Alberta as they mostly apply to ACP.

The only catch is that I can't post links because my post count is too low but I'd be happy to email them to anyone interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Just use the study material in the book. The text will be three years old soon, so it is due for updates (was published before the Oct 2010 CPR/AED etch updates).

Desette

Forum Probie
http://wps.prenhall.com/chet_limmer_emergencycare_10/19/5005/1281453.cw/index.html

Click on different chapters and select multiple choice or true false on the left menu.

It is an EMT study guide, but more knowledge and understanding can't hurt you.

If you get it wrong, it will explain why.

Your right more knowledge is better just keep in mind your scope when reading up on things that are ahead of you. I wouldn't mind grabbing a few exams that were exactly in my scope.

I study some EMT material and it can be fairly confusing sometimes when there is a scope difference. Not to mention the State by State scope difference let alone the state to Canadian province difference in Alberta.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
only real difference between an EMT and a CFR (EMR) here in NY is an EMT can give aspirin, albuterol and an epi-pen.

blueoxygen

Forum Ride Along

Your right more knowledge is better just keep in mind your scope when reading up on things that are ahead of you. I wouldn't mind grabbing a few exams that were exactly in my scope.

I study some EMT material and it can be fairly confusing sometimes when there is a scope difference. Not to mention the State by State scope difference let alone the state to Canadian province difference in Alberta.

You're telling me, the scope differences between EMT-B's and EMR's are subtle enough you may not notice just how wrong/right you were until after you submit an online practice test for grading. I ended up going line by line through the EMR SOP to make sure I was getting everything right, so in the end it helped me study better.

Are you going for your EMR/EMT in Alberta, Desette? Sorry if I seem nosy, but it's always nice to toss a high five to other budding EMR/EMTs.

Desette

Forum Probie
only real difference between an EMT and a CFR (EMR) here in NY is an EMT can give aspirin, albuterol and an epi-pen.

Alberta EMR Medications

ASA
Oral Glucose
Salbutamol*
Ipratropium Bromide*
Epi-pen*
Nitroglycerin **

*prescribed to them and under medical direction
**not in scope but must know (I don't know why)

Alberta EMTs are allowed a few more delivery methods like IV IM SQ and I think one more and about a dozen drugs total (I think I don't know for sure) and a large amount more things I don't know.

Desette

Forum Probie
You're telling me, the scope differences between EMT-B's and EMR's are subtle enough you may not notice just how wrong/right you were until after you submit an online practice test for grading. I ended up going line by line through the EMR SOP to make sure I was getting everything right, so in the end it helped me study better.

Are you going for your EMR/EMT in Alberta, Desette? Sorry if I seem nosy, but it's always nice to toss a high five to other budding EMR/EMTs.

Those EMT-B tests are a bit funky for me but I did the same thing and it just made me study better. It all brings it back to the same thing for me, When someone says your wrong best to believe no one, not you or them, check the facts.

I've been wrong more then once and I like to be proven wrong because I rather be wrong then live in ignorance.

I'm working as an EMR going for my EMT in the fall if all goes right. And yeah in Alberta all the way till I get my paramedic :)

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Alberta EMR Medications

ASA
Oral Glucose
Salbutamol*
Ipratropium Bromide*
Epi-pen*
Nitroglycerin **

Alberta EMTs are allowed a few more delivery methods like IV IM SQ and I think one more and about a dozen drugs total (I think I don't know for sure) and a large amount more things I don't know.

The EMT in Alberta(PCP elsewhere in Canada) is more in line with Intermediate or AEMT in the states.

blueoxygen

Forum Ride Along
Those EMT-B tests are a bit funky for me but I did the same thing and it just made me study better. It all brings it back to the same thing for me, When someone says your wrong best to believe no one, not you or them, check the facts.

I've been wrong more then once and I like to be proven wrong because I rather be wrong then live in ignorance.

I'm working as an EMR going for my EMT in the fall if all goes right. And yeah in Alberta all the way till I get my paramedic :)

Nice! I agree with you on being proven wrong, it's better to burned once and a while as it makes you learn from the mistake. Where do you plan on going for your EMT, if you don't mind me asking?

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Alberta EMR Medications

ASA
Oral Glucose
Salbutamol*
Ipratropium Bromide*
Epi-pen*
Nitroglycerin **

My EMR instructor checked with ACoP and EMRs can only assist with the Epi-Pen. He also said the 3 drugs an EMR can administer in Alberta are
Oxygen
ASA
Oral Glucose.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
My EMR instructor checked with ACoP and EMRs can only assist with the Epi-Pen. He also said the 3 drugs an EMR can administer in Alberta are
Oxygen
ASA
Oral Glucose.

That sounds more onpoint with ours.

Our EMRs (we call them CFR still) can give oral glucose as well.

we have

CFR
EMT
AEMT-CC
Paramedic

A cc is higher than most areas EMT-Is but they can do next to nothing on standing orders as far as giving drugs.

Paramedic gets standing orders.

technocardy

Forum Crew Member
blueoxygen said:
Nice! I agree with you on being proven wrong, it's better to burned once and a while as it makes you learn from the mistake. Where do you plan on going for your EMT, if you don't mind me asking?

Try for PMA if you live in Calgary, or Edmonton. I went there, can be tough to get in, but it's well worth it. When I applied, 40 others applied and only 8 got in. So it's clear they're not in it for the money but to focus on good education. I really enjoyed going there and will be going back for EMT-P!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I just had to read the Brady text. Not as clear as it might be, and gets weasel-like when they teach stuff your local protocols mightn't cover. However, the quizzes and stuff are ok, the scenario CD seemed to be somewhat useful, and as above extra knowledge,. if you can remember it is sidebar, can help.

Desette

Forum Probie

I got accepted to PMA last fall but my scholarship fell through so I couldn't afford it. Since now I'm working I'm saving up money and going full time most likely at AHASTI (where I took my EMR).

I will double check a copy of the AOCPs and get back to this thread on the epi pen issue (assisted vs given) because I'm sure it's allowed to be given with medical direction. But I could be wrong :)